Original Work Chucklers: Book 1 - Laughter Is Contagious - Prologue

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Jeff Brackett, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

In case people missed it, Jeff gave an up-date on book II in December

techsar likes this.
  2. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

Sorry for being gone so long everyone. Been crazy-mad busy. Latest update:

1. Sold the Chucklers series to Severed Press. We've been through several weeks of edits and I'm waiting for an update on the cover for it. (The first one they sent was *really* bad.) I also rewrote the ending after a few of my beta readers reported back that they didn't care for the cliff hanger-y end.

2. Part of the deal with Severed was that, since Chucklers "really wasn't in their wheelhouse" but they liked the writing, they would agree to publish that series, if I would agree to write at least two books for them that were in their wheelhouse. The email I got said they prefer items within the niche genres of "zombies, kaiju, sea monsters, or dinosaurs". I thought about it and pitched them an idea that they liked.

Bottom line - I am now under contract for not one, but two series of books! Chucklers is currently in the publisher's hands, and the first book of the "End Point Pangaea" series is about 20% done. (I agree to get them first draft on it before the end of the year.)

And that's why I've been gone for so long. If any of you are interested, here's the EPP story line I pitched them:

In the future, humanity discovers the dangerous technology of time travel that allows them to open "holes" in time, connecting to other points along the timeline. It is difficult to calculate precise points in time, requires huge amounts of energy to open a portal (though relatively little to maintain one once it is opened). Inanimate objects can move forward in time, but any lifeform that attempts to do so ages at an exponential rate until it dies.

Fearing disruptions to current history, international agreements are reached that severely curtail use of the technology, and completely prohibit travel to any time more recently than the late-Triassic era. The thinking is that the End Triassic extinction event, and the following Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction event of approximately 135 million years later, would serve to eliminate all traces of any incursions, thus safely preserving the current timeline.

But when that stable portal is established into the late Triassic era, the governments of the world use it as a dumping ground for the worst criminals of the world. Terrorists, serial killers, political dissidents, sociopaths, and any criminals that society deems unsalvageable, are given the choice of mind wipe, death, or serving out a life sentence at End Point Pangaea.

Sean Barrow is convicted for hunting down and killing the street gang that raped and murdered his daughter. Arriving at End Point, he quickly finds that learning to survive the inhospitable land and wildlife is difficult enough. But surviving a lawless society of human sociopaths just may be impossible.
    So that's what's keeping me busy. I'm just over 15000 words into this one, and plugging away at it daily. So wish me luck. With enough of it, I may just make this crazy dream of making a living as a writer into a reality. :)

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thank you for the up-date and I am so happy for you. Congratulations. I wish you all the success.

LOL! wish we could send all the current politicians and bad guys there now.

4. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

Thanks Motomom. :)

You and me, both! Unfortunately, it's just like our hopes for term limits... the people who have to pass the laws on it are the very ones that it would affect. IOW, it ain't gonna happen peacefully. (sigh)

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gratz! And looking forward to reading both series

Jeff Brackett likes this.
  6. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

Folks, it looks like the publisher is about ready to release Chucklers: Book 1, which means I might have to take it down here in the near future. So, if it disappears here without warning, look at it as good news. :)

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Jeff, when you take it down, let a staffie know and the thread will be deleted too, unless you want it to stay up for some reason.

8. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

It occurred to me this evening that I never announced when Chucklers was published last month. If any of you liked what you read enough to check it out on Amazon, the Survival Monkey Amazon affiliate link for it is here.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Awesome. You have it either in Kindle version or paperback. Thanks for letting us know.

10. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

FWIW, if anyone is interested, the publisher tells me that Chucklers, Volume 1 (Kindle version only) is on sale for 99ยข for a couple of days.

ghrit likes this.
  11. sarmajor

sarmajor Retired Warrior

The sun does not set during the helicopter flying season at McMurdo Station. It is daylight 24 hours and at certain parts of the season helicopter operations run 24 hours.
    The first Sunset is in February and Sunrise is around the 20th of August at McMurdo.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7