CMP may soon get 86,000 repatriated M1 Garands

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by stg58, Apr 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

tipped by @DarkLight

Fantastic news my Garands need a few friends.

Now if the Garands and Carbines in Korea are allowed in it will be a GREAT era for fine US GI weapons...sadly maybe a final chapter,

And where are the 1911's...:)
    //////////////////////////
    The Civilian Marksmanship Program advises the Army could soon hand over a large stock of historically significant M1 rifles.

A post on an M1 Garand collectors group on Friday mentioned a group of loaned rifles coming in from the Philippines was being processed by the U.S. Army for shipment back to the states. Mark Johnson, CMP’s chief operating officer, did not confirm the country of origin but did tell Guns.com that a large group of rifles may indeed be headed home and could end up in the organization’s hands.

”There are 86,000 or so M1’s hopefully coming back to the Army,” said Johnson. “We hope to see them in the future.”

The CMP is a federally chartered non-profit corporation tasked with promoting firearms safety training and rifle practice. It originated as the Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship in 1903 under orders from Congress to improve the country’s marksmanship skills to minimize training in case of war. Split off from the U.S. Army under the Clinton-administration in 1996, it still conducts training courses and holds shooting competitions nationwide but draws its primary source of funding through the sale of surplus firearms to qualifying members of the public which were donated to the organization by the Army.

However, the CMPs stocks of surplus arms are diminishing.

In 2010, the organization’s most numerous firearm, the M-1 Garand rifle was limited to just 125,000 guns on hand that included complete rifles, stripped receivers, and welded drill rifles. Since then, the Obama administration repeatedly blocked efforts to bring surplus donated military rifles back from overseas allies looking to rid themselves of obsolete hardware. As noted by the CMP’s sale page on the rifle, most common variants became sold out in the past two years.

An influx of 86,000 highly-collectable rifles, largely all made before 1957, would likely revitalize the organization, and ensure its work for years to come.

Thousands of surplus M1s were loaned to U.S. allies in Europe and Asia in the mid-20th Century and the guns remain in limited use by the Philippine military with some ROTC units and provincial police units, including CAFGU auxiliary police.

CMP may soon get 86,000 repatriated M1 Garands

3M-TA3, Marck, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Mine is lonely, but if--

these come thru, she's staying lonely.

I think I remember that South Korea still has a wealth of M1s, too. Pending ---

Marck, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

I bet South Korea would trade the M1s, straight across for M4s, one for one....

Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. stg58

If as stated these will be mainly WW 2 Garands which should yield many collector $$$ rifles depending on how they have been stored.

[​IMG]

GOG, Marck, Tully Mars and 1 other person like this.
  5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

They stand a better chance with an R in the big house. But I'm still not going to hold my breath.

Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. stg58

It may have been better that the word had not slipped out but as stated this one might come through with R's in charge.

I would love to be on the team looking for M1s and other rifles that were loaned to U.S. allies in Europe and Asia during & after WW 2/Korea they got the Greek and Danish Garands and the German Carbines keep going...

Marck, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. stg58

The CMP should sign Clint to an endorsement deal.

Oddcaliber, oil pan 4, GOG and 6 others like this.
  8. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

I'd love an old Garand, have shot them and think the 30-06 is a wonderful cartridge, but am not a collector and passed on them when they were $165, so probably be passing again. Getting old I guess.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The Garand is heavy, has a limited magazine capacity although it was "THE" battle rifle in WWII, that was 70 years ago... The .30-06 is a very versatile round though.

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and Oltymer like this.
  10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Great old weapons! Fun to shoot! I'm not holding my breath, but I'm going to hope like heck! :D

Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  11. rockriver

rockriver Monkey+

praying!
    it would be nice!

12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Love the M1.
    It may be old and heavy but so am I nowadays! A damn fine rifle, and in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, a lethal and dependable addition for any prepper.

Ura-Ki and Sgt Nambu like this.
  13. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

I qualified Expert with the M-14. The old Garand can still do the job! Aimed rapid fire, baby! You just have to pause every eight times. :D

GOG, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

My Grand Dad would have called ya a pussy LOL
    I got to carry a Garand whilst in the Balkans and I didn't have any issues with the size and weight, I found it to be well balanced and quite easy to shoot, and shoot that sucker did. Wish they would have let us have some in the sand box, but we did get some nice referbed M-14's so I can't complain! I have three M-1 Garands, One is a "D" variant, one a standard CMP select grade, and one a full pop National Match with a 4 grove Criterion Barrel and Gehel target sights. I am waiting as fast as I can for them to release some more good Garands, Also would be super cool to get a M-1 Carbine or three and better yet, A steady supply of the good mags to go with them and good ammo too!

15. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

I find your liking for M-1 Carbines disturbing! :cool:

Ura-Ki likes this.
  16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

Only because I do not currently own an M-1 Carbine, and would like to have a nice one or three, instead of paying a shit load for a nice Saganaw or Rockola, Kind of like my love of the AR-180, best small battle rifle we never had, if only we could get some more of them too! No worries Sarg, I still love the M-1 and the M-1A better!

17. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Not only are the M1 Carbines fun to shoot, they are one of the best weapons to use to introduce a young shooter to center fire rifles. Their short overall length is greats for kids or smaller adults. My children learned to shoot center fire with one of my carbines.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

We have a nice 350# Black Bear rug, over in storage.... That AlaskaChick took with a single shot, using our Universal 30M1 Carbine... Nobody ever explained to her that the 30M1 wasn't big enough for Black Bear.... Serves that Bruiser right, for trying to raid her SmokeHouse.... Now he comes out for the GrandKids to play on...

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and VisuTrac like this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The only bad thing about 30 carbine is they don't sell ammo for it at most Walmarts anymore.
    At one time it was a standard ammo case item for all of them.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  1. hot diggity
  2. Oddcaliber
  3. Dont
  4. oil pan 4
  5. HK_User
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Yard Dart
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Marvin L. Steinhagen
  10. Ura-Ki
  11. Dunerunner