Coffee,how much

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oldman11, Feb 1, 2018.

1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

How much coffee do you stock for hard times? I try to keep at least 3 lbs in my freezer. How many cups a day do you drink? My wife and I drink a 12 cup pot almost every day. What brand of coffee do you buy? We buy the community coffee brand here in Louisiana. I problemly need to put more coffee back than I do. Community coffee brand used to come in vacuum packed 1 lb bags now comes loose in a heavy sealed bag. Just asking.

GOG, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I keep one bag of 8 O'Clock ahead of the open bag. That's good for 6ea 5oz cups a day for a couple weeks or so. I have none in my INCH bag and probably should rectify that, especially since I quit smoking.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    oldman11, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Thumper40

Thumper40 Monkey

I dont have near enough set back. Something I aught to start doing I suppose. Right now I have it set up so i get a 12 oz delivery of dark roast Black Rifle Coffee every week. Some weeks I go through the whole bag. Others I dont. Think I might have 3 pounds saved up.

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Besides my regular orders from BlackRifleCoffeeCo ( about 20 pounds worth), I stock several 5 gallon cans with San Francisco Coffee Co bulk from costco! I just added it up a few weeks ago, we have about 100 pounds of ground coffee ( takes up much less space when ground and vacuumed packed) That's at the home which is also the Redoubt/Bug Location. In my BOB/Bug I keep about 1/2 pound of fine ground coffee ( BRCC Snipers Blend) which should get me through an event, About 1 week worth! I can cold or hot brew using a Coors Beer can that I made for this process ( also works for tea) and it's packed up in my bag ready to go!

GOG, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

How much do I drink? Probably too much! :) Four shots of espresso in my AM commute car cup is a start.
    Ten pounds of beans, roughly 20 lb ground and vacuum sealed, all in the freezer. Three cases of 1,000 count, individual serving freeze dried, (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00451UA5K/?tag=survivalmonke-20).
    My GHB has thirty freeze dried doses, and a few MRE packs I got from somewhere.
    I've also got four Arabica plants going indoors I'm going to try to keep going without a heat source next winter. They want zone 10, but I'm 8a. So I have a reason to put up a green house now...

oldman11, Ura-Ki, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Don't drink coffee

chelloveck, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just enough to serve guests, before the SHTF Events, after that they are on their own....

Meat, oldman11, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Thankfully, it is one of the few vices that I don't have; however, the wife drinks coffee so we keep (currently) 8 pounds. She has 2 ea. 3 pounds cans in pantry and working on a 2 pound can.

I'm a tea drinker, a fussy one too, and currently have 4 boxes of Tetley tea bags (320 bags) in the pantry and working on one.

I'm not really too concerned with stock coffee and tea for long-term storage but think it really would be a nice thing to have and certainly would be a good trade item(s) if things did go to hell.

oldman11, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

How about putting ten pounds of green coffee beans aside for the hard times. You can buy an open fire roaster or use a good cast iron skillet to roast them a serving at a time. Go to any antique store and buy an old coffee grinder for a few bucks.

Take it from me, true fresh coffee is 10's of times better tasting than anything factory packaged and has set on a self for gosh how long.

Green coffee beans are supposed to have an almost indefinite self life. I keep mine in Mason jars stored in ammo cans padded to keep the glass from breaking

Zimmy, oldman11, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

looking around the compound .. 5 lbs. After that we start roasting chickory.

11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I buy Costco Kirkland Supremo. Cheap as Folgers but excellent flavor, low acid, and full octane. I never have less than 20 lbs on hand. When we get to our next destination I'll bump that up to 100 lbs. I could care less about no booze, tobacco, etc. post SHTF but no coffee would not be tolerable.

12. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

I shifted to drink green tea.
    I grow tea. I can not grow coffee, so that ended the issue.
    I also grow grapes for wine, apples for cider, and grain for whiskey.

13. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

WebCHSoOthersMayLiveBlackFront_large.

14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

About ten pounds of coffee, a few of tea. Nothing special, just Black Pekoe...and some green tea, and....

15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Gave it up in 2016, Now I do like a cup of hot coco about 4/5 times a day.
    I hope I don't have to forfeit my Louisiana man card?

Zimmy, oldman11, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  16. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Nah...only if ya give up mudbugs;)

17. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

50 or so pounds of whole unroasted beans and 10 pounds of brick coffee. I drink 2 cups max per day. About 1,000 family size tea bags. All in the freezer vacuum packed.

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm with 3M-T3A on this, NO Coffee, No Ura-Ki! Thats just the way it is! I'm at about 32 oz per day, some times more, some times less! Lol
    Need to find a good source for green coffee beans in bulk, though! Has to 100% Arabica beans though!

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  19. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Like RC I have a few cans of the green coffee beans. What that translates to in weight I've forgotten, they're at the BOL and I don't have my inventory list handy. Anyway, they must be roasted and ground before use. I have a hand powered coffee grinder there.

I have a few pounds here at the house as well. Drink about three cups in the morning then GTG for the day.

Some people I know drink coffee all day, cup after cup. That much upsets my stomach and makes me jittery. A little goes a long way.

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  20. Thumper40

Thumper40 Monkey

A little off topic here. But I did recently gain an affection for Mountain Dew Kickstart. I know they're horrible for ya. But sometimes after putting in 12 to 18 at the factory and more into my own shop and rentals coffee just aint enough to get moving after a nap. They're cheaper than the other energy drinks out there too. Some gas stations have regular deals on em where they're less than a buck a can.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7