Colt AR15

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Stnick, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Stnick

Stnick Monkey+

My pre-ban Colt AR15 has the green plastic on it. I've owned the weapon over 15 years and I've never known for sure if green was actually a colt option. Anyone here know for sure?

Nick

2. K.AR-15

K.AR-15 Monkey+

i don't think so off the top of my head but ask over at www.ar15.com in the retro ar15 forum. those guys can tell you for anything you may want to know about older ARs...

3. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

If your rifle is old enough... yes. The extremely early model Colts had green fiberglass furniture. The furniture is known for becoming brittle. If you indeed have a very early model Colt, I wouldn't be shooting it too much. It is worth a lot to collectors. If you do plan on giving it some range time, I would change the furniture to preserve it. That fiberglass doesn't hold up like thermo plastics do.

Some other ways to tell the age of your rifle is the shape of the charging handle and the lack of brass deflector. There are some other ways to tell. I am not an expert on the early model Colts. Definitely take the above advice and check out the retro forum at AR15.com.

Oh.... and...... report back here with pics and descriptions.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7