Cooking with Florida Sand Pears

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by tacmotusn, Dec 31, 2017.

1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Florida Sand Pears
    This is what got my interest started. Vivian Howard has a PBS cooking show called "the Chef's Life".
    The recipe is really pretty simple. Nothing much required except the pears, sugar, and some lemon juice. Peel your pears, cut into quarters long ways, cut the core away. further slice and dice to desired size pieces. For every 4 cups of pear pieces, add one TBS lemon (or other citrus juice) plus 1 cup of sugar and toss well. Transfer pears to heavy cooking pot. continue peeling and prepping pears like this until you have processed all the pears you choose to can or cook for immediate use. Let the pears macerate covered in pot in frig over night. Next day you will be surprised at how much juice they have produced. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to slow simmer/boil, stir and cook until
    translucent, and ready to can or use in recipe. Pears will remain relatively crisp like a firm cooking apple. In olden days these would be put up in jars with paraffin wax seal. Now days you would be advised to check latest copy of Ball Bluebook for canning times and pressure for quarts and or pints. Enjoy and share your new wonderful bounty of tasty fruit. Check out the links below.
    Deep Run Roots Book

Deep Run Roots Book
    Vivian Howard is a chef, author, and PBS personality from Deep Run, NC. She owns two restaurants in Kinston, NC

http://oystersandpearls.net/canning-sand-pears/
    CANNING PEARS: WHAT TO DO WITH FLORIDA SAND PEARS
    http://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1931-vol-44/178-180_Clayton.pdf
    Sand Pears
    Florida pears: Florida pears are the often-forgotten fruit of state's landscape

2. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

We do similar with the rock hard Texas Bosc pears in canning.

For wine, I pressure cook diced pears at 10 for 20 minutes to soften and then run them through an old fruit press. Without the pressure cooking the press can’t squeeze out a drop. It also helps to let the pears age a couple of days after picking.

Motomom34 and tacmotusn like this.
  3. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Vivian is a great chef and a local. I've known her and her family for many years. She works very hard to further southern cuisine. I see her several times a week and I will let her know that you appreciate her show.

4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Thank you very much kind sir. I did order her new cookbook via Amazon and I am anxiously waiting for it to arrive. I love watching her show.

Motomom34 and Sapper John like this.
  5. Sapper John

Can I tell her that you have a Monkey crush on her?

Motomom34 and tacmotusn like this.
  6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

ROFLMAO ..... sure why not. Just tell her Husband I do not hardly EVER venture north of Interstate route 10.

Sapper John and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Sapper John

Don't worry, Ben is a gentle soul!

tacmotusn likes this.
  8. Sapper John

Hey @tacmotusn , saw Vivian today, she said to tell you hello and thank you!

tacmotusn likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7