Cooler weather hampering early garden start

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Dunerunner, May 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Even with a greenhouse, the temps being in the high 40's and the perpetual rains have been keeping my early attempt at a garden a little slow to get going. It is great for the lettuces, but not so great for the tomatoes, squash and cucumbers. Need to get some radishes going, beets and chard. It is expected to not get out of the 40's all day tomorrow with occasional rain all day. Looking at the satellite images storms are lining up and riding the jet stream.

IMG_0972.

Greenhouse II.

2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Finally have a extended forecast of 7 days of dry here. Of Course with that dry come 90 degree temps and air so thick you have to hack through it with a machete. Don't like the weather in Southern IL just wait 5 minutes to a hour and it will change to the opposite extreme LOL. Heater running tonight, Air Conditioner will be on tomorrow night.

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

weather manipulation all over , just to kill US

Sloth

4. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

Yeah we were cold this morning. 3500 miles away my parents also had a cold streak come through and kill all the crops. Not normal temps anywhere. I hope you have at least 2 years worth of food stored up.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  5. Dunerunner

39degrees now at near 11AM. Finished the plantings in the greenhouse and came in to warm up. Had a thought that if the planet entered into another Dark Ages (mini ice age) would a greenhouse be of any good? Would there be enough light to grow anything other than maybe potatoes and lettuces.

Planted.

6. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

It's been a cool spring here in SC but I have been able to plant most everything, my okra does not like these 50 degree temps and I have lost half of it. Rain has been sparse have to water every other day

7. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Not to worry. Biden, AOC, and the rest of the clowns running the circus will save us all, with their windmills, solar panels, and electric cars! :rolleyes::whistle::ROFLMAO:
    I've been waiting for some halfway decent weather here (Buffalo/Niagara Falls area of NY), and it looks like last night's low of 40 will be it. Only 6 weeks late, and we're finally getting some real spring weather! Probably going to be another month (or so) until I can put peppers, tomatoes, and squashes outside, but I've got plenty started inside, and will do my damnedest not to kill them, before I can transplant them into pots, for the summer (can't really do any digging, as I'm currently renting).
    Just part of my indoor seed starting/seedling nursery, in my office at home. (y) 'Scuze the red/blue plant lighting effect. seed starting 20220508.

8. Dunerunner

The forecast here is for lows in the high 30's to low 40's later in the week and high temps between 49 and an occasional venture into the low 60's for a minute. Rain for 5 out of the next 10 days.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Snowing down here in SW Orygun today, but not cold enough for it to stick long. Lows for the next 3 nights right at freezing.

10. Dunerunner

Snowing! In Orygun?? Won't nothin' grow there!!

Yea, the system is out of the gulf of Alaska and pulling along with it some cold air. Spring...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Bees out today ,(mason) hives cleaned and next week HBs are out, way late ..
    If they are flooding Auzi land they freeze northan world , were all cold up NH of the globe

12. Dunerunner

Did some rearranging in the greenhouse today. Moved the 25 gallon grow bag planted with red potatoes, added a seeding bench where the flats of lettuces and space heater sit. Figured out where I am going to put the grow bag with my chard and rapidly running out of space. Need to plant some radishes and carrots and am thinking of building a tiered planter across the back side of the tunnel. Just need to find some more scrap wood. All in all, the plants look happy so far. Gapped the Velcro windows to allow some ventilation just in case the sun decides to come out for a minute. 35 degrees this morning, 45 now at 10 AM.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Dunerunner

14. Dunerunner

Humidity has been running at near and above 90%. I opened the six side windows on the poly tunnel, and it dropped to 80% and as a plus, the temperature increased from 58 to 63 degrees with the OAT being 54 at 100% humidity. It's been raining off and, on all week, and expected for the next couple of days. I may have to frame in a roof vent and increase the heating from the two little under desk foot warmers currently running in the tunnel.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Dunerunner

Got the humidity issues resolved by leaving two windows open and allowing the poly tunnel to breath. The remote thermometer and hygrometer has been great allowing me to keep track of temps and humidity from the house. Plants are coming along nicely.

IMG_1004.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Dunerunner

My How a few weeks changes everything... Fruit has set on all three tomato plants. The Super Sweet 100 is loaded, the Roma not so much, and the Early Girl is doing well. There are summer squash and cucumber, and the plants are nearing the top of the greenhouse. I am going to have to train them across the top or along the upper side of the greenhouse. The potatoes are all hilled in and a good 8'' high. Now if I can just keep the slugs out until everything is ready to harvest.

New.

New3.

New2.

natshare, CraftyMofo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Avocado_tree

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    I love the end of summer.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. natshare
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Smells heavenly
  8. Alanaana
    Avocadoes
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    I think it's 20lbs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Is coffee better than bananas?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Sugarloaf White Pineapples are my favorite!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 11, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle Vibes

This is the driveway at the front of my property.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Dunerunner
  20. Dunerunner
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7