Copper Pipes in a Stump?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Gator 45/70, May 11, 2021.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

UncleMorgan and HK_User like this.
  2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Will what work?

HK_User likes this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

UncleMorgan, HK_User and SB21 like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Seems reasonable, but it may depend on the type of tree you are using it on... Years ago I told a friend that had a bunch of evergreen stumps on his property, to take a chainsaw and make a bunch of vertical cuts down the center of each stump maybe a foot deep.. The go to the Industrial Chemical Supply Place and buy a Liter of 45% Nitric Acid, and pour it into the cuts on each stump... Then wait a month, and use a propane torch to light the center of each stump on fire, and let it burn... He came back later and was amazed, when the stumps burned completely out, including the root systems over a period of a few days.. He was very appreciative of the information... Nitrocellulose burns really well, and the capulary system of trees draws the Acid clear down the root system...

5. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

Yes copper is toxic to trees I have seen trees killed by driving copper roofing nails all the way around every 1.5 inches. As a plumber we use copper sulfate to kill tree roots in pipes

UncleMorgan, HK_User, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Gator down here it seems to take a bit longer on our hardwoods. That's what I've been told at least. Soft woods it reportedly works pretty well.

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Many a logger has been injured or killed by Tree huggers driving copper spikes into trees just above the pitch pocket, and not only that but the copper will kill the tree pretty quickly! This was a serious concern here back in the 70's and 80's with all the anti logging protests and such!

B.T' s post above using the Nitric Acid does the trick on stumps really well, almost too good, be careful with trees that have tap roots or very large root complexes, you can burn a lot more then just the stump your trying to be rid of!

UncleMorgan, HK_User, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm about to start a land clearing venture, Some of the stumps can be dug up, flipped and reburied, Others not so much.

9. Macgyver

Macgyver Monkey+

Take a drill. And put a few holes around the stump or into the trunk. Use copper sulfate and DRT

10. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Nitrocellulose. Of course.

Diaboloical!

(I love it!)

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I am in the process of clearing land also at this time, spend the days falling and cleaning up trees, but I would be afraid to use anything that would burn the roots and more given we're coming into the dry season here. Hell, even a whiff of a spark where I live would doom not only us but all our neighbors as well as we are surrounded by trees/forest. I might try it during winter but not keen on using chemicals in the ground... I suppose it would be okay as long as it all burns up but...I will have to think about this but would only try it during Winter or Fall...

Think I will stick to my plan of renting an excavator...even though I got more than 30 stumps to dig out and burn just on the first section of ground.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Have you thought of renting a stump grinder? I have a neighbor up the road aways that does stump grinding. Charges me 1 dollar per inch of diameter of stump. Grinds them down as deep as you want. Might check into it in your area.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

They work well, and if handled right, the chips are simply put back in the hole to decay overtime. The downside of that is subsidence and not much to fill in the hole or bare spot.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We dug up a couple of huge pine stumps today, Dug out a larger hole, Flipped the stumps back into said hole upside down and buried those baby's !

Tully Mars and SB21 like this.
  15. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Never heard of this being done,, what's the benefits of doing this ??

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

It fills the hole and then rots!

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  17. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I was thinking that they used steel nails, which could be harmful to the logger, but the biggest threat was to saw-mill operators and their equipment.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7