Crimes and commercial DNA 'testing' companies

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by DKR, Apr 26, 2018.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

How a Genealogy Site Led to the Front Door of the Golden State Killer Suspect

The Golden State killer was finally uncovered using "derivative' DNA - the investigators matched familial DNA to DNA recovered from crime scenes and did backwards ancestry tracing.

With name in hand, the investigators then followed the guy and collected 'discarded' DNA. Using this, they got a 100% match. That was enough to get a search warrant and blood samples.

Those samples matched 100%, so now this RETIRED COP is now living in the Garybar Hotel.

At 72 Y/O, the DA had better get going if they want to have a trial and the **publicity** for (finally) solving a string of decade old crimes....

I didn't read far enough to see how much all of this stuff cost the remaining taxpayers in CA....

Forensics. It is going to get you - eventually.

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I wondered whether the ancestry sites cooperated without a specific warrant or how exactly they were able to back trace through those sites without the original donor's knowledge or permission. So much for your DNA being private...

Don't misunderstand, this guy needed to be caught. He ruined and ended many lives.

TnAndy likes this.
  3. ochit

ochit Monkey+

This case is one reason why I do not agree with Trumps idea for mandatory capitol punishment for cop killers not that I do not respect police and as a juror not hand down the appropriate sentence, I just do not like special treatment for anyone either we are all equal or screw it. anyone that murders needs to get a dirt nap if there was to be a special category, if you murder a innocent young person or child after your single appeal cash in your Christmas account cause you won't be here.

Zimmy likes this.
  4. DKR

They got $$$$ paid $$$$ to "cooperate"

Zimmy likes this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yes, I read this and then I went to grind out the Spring chores (OMG! What happen to be the Country Gentleman in retirement?!?). Anyway, there I was digging (I hate digging) to plant new grass and the thought came into my head that sooner or later they will require all people to supply a DNA sample for the good of society. It will be hard to fight against and I wonder how far off we are from that day?...

Of course, I am happy they got this murderer but given computers and given a huge DNA database they could have gotten him much quicker... Hmm?

tacmotusn and Dunerunner like this.
  6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

If you are adopted and that line died out and if you did not procreate you might be a little safer.

Dunerunner likes this.
  7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That's why I will not do that DNA genealogy crap. Not that I've done anything to be scared of , just don't think its right. But I've wondered if the VA has logged my DNA into their system ? I wouldn't doubt it if sometime in the near future , they start collecting it from babies when they are born , and start their databases.

Zimmy, Bandit99 and Dunerunner like this.
  8. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

That is just not right

9. duane

duane Monkey+++

DNA, fingerprints, cell phone GPS tracking, license plate tracking, easy pass transponder required to use roads, facial recognition software, near universal video camera coverage in retail and urban areas with near indefinite storage of pictures, fingerprint recognition for ID purposes, data mining of social media with storage of the media and the data, transponders on car remotely available and ability to remotely control functions on the car, universal federal mandated state ID card for driving and now voting,check cashing, use of pubic transportation, etc, Google Earth and other mapping functions now show views of your property to the world and government etc, have aerial views that allow them to monitor for cars, building or construction changes, crops planted and the health of the crops, ability with smart phones, house automation, smart electrical grids, energy monitoring, burglar alarms, etc, to know if your windows are open, your lights are on, which room your are in, what the temperature of the room is, how long you have been there, and how often you use each item monitored, with automated checkout and Amazon etc, what you buy , where you buy it, and what brands you buy, with the electronic storage of medical records, all your medical conditions and often mental health information.

This is the information now available and with the smart card chip in my credit card and the new concept of a cashless society we are already living in a world the the author of 1984 or Animal Farm could not even imagine in their wildest dreams. The most complex science fiction of the 1930's wrote about interstellar travel at 1,000's the times the speed of light and data storage on wire recorders and punched cards and could not even remotely understand the concept of gigabytes of information on your smart phone.

All of the legal invasions of our privacy, for our safety and convenience, make the whole concept of the 5 th amendment meaningless as does the use of stop light and other camera systems that automatically record your transgressions, judge you,, and in the near future I expect automatically deduct the penalty from your cashless bank account as the government does now for child support, taxes owed, fines, etc.

As the Dylan said, the times they are a-changing and it is a world that at 80 I feel less and less a part of and more and more an inmate of. The fact that the newest generations take it for granted and don't even realize it is a problem is even more frightening. I wonder at times if we are all lobsters in a huge pot that is warming towards the boiling point and in our complacency we all think we are in a garden enjoying our hot tub experience. Paranoia off, time to eat, have coffee, and walk the dog down to the pond to enjoy the sunrise. PS, I will take the doggy excretion bag with me as the public area at the flood control dam is a "public area", administered by the conservation commission, requires that you do so, and is video monitored for your safety. They forbid dog excretion, fire arms, open fires, alcohol consumption, smoking tobacco, being "green" and civilized they will ignore marijuana and consensual sex among age appropriate individual and ignore the various racial and gender combinations. Next year they probably will require diapers on the deer and geese.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Mountainman, BenP, tacmotusn and 3 others like this.
  10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

at present the US Military DNA records every service member at induction. Supposedly this is done so there will never ever again be an unknown soldier or sailor. They also have your fingerprints in their database. Most arrests involve DNA swabs as well as fingerprints being taken. This is done before any conviction occurs. Cops have readily been able to access the fingerprints in that database. Remaining anonymous in todays society is practically impossible. There are cameras everywhere. Some tied in with facial recognition. Who is to say it is not possible to combine multiple data bases rather quickly and reveal all your deepest darkest secrets. BIG BROTHER REALLY IS WATCHING !!! If you do not understand this you are rather naïve.
    One last note on all this. There are massive backloads of evidence from rapes unsolved and many of the police departments holding this evidence claim there is no money to clear the backlog and process the evidence for DNA. This is unacceptable !!!
    In my opinion due to all the recent releases of convicts where DNA being tested shows they didn't do it, I believe any convict should be able to come up with a reasonable fee, say $500, and say test my DNA from that conviction NOW, and if exonerated be released asap. We have the largest incarceration population of all the countries of this world. WE have kept people behind bars for 20 years and more probably, and then due to science they were found to be innocent. How many have we executed? Have we tested all the evidence for DNA from the convicts in the USA who are on DEATH ROW? I think not !!! I think at the very least before we execute a man or woman WE SHOULD CHECK THE DNA EVIDENCE FIRST.
    How is it not cruel and unusual punishment to kill or lock a person up for years without using proven science to ensure whether they are truly guilty or innocent?
    BTW, if in doing this testing other crimes are uncovered then let the chips fall where they may. I do not want the guilty to not be punished. I just want to make damn sure they are guilty.

Zimmy and Bandit99 like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@SB21 " I wouldn't doubt it if sometime in the near future , they start collecting it from babies when they are born , and start their databases."
    Yes, I agree. I also agree that I don't like it. I can't put my finger on the exact reason but it feels, wrong. However, it will be almost impossible to fight against and I feel sure it will happen. I also think when this happens it will signify the end...the end to the individual and any semblance of a free society. And, maybe that is why I feel it is wrong.

@duane "...I feel less and less a part of and more and more an inmate of."
    Wow. Great line...and explains maybe why I feel so helplessly controlled since I've return. I need to think about this some more...

tacmotusn likes this.
  12. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I noticed the picture of my house on Google Earth was taken the exact day/time we were pouring the concrete roof.

13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@tacmotusn i understand your sentiment on this, about letting chips fall where they may for the guilty, and I am opposed to DNA testing for privacy reasons.

the things they can do to us as human beings by knowing our genome is attrocious, you can selectively cull people with virus's if you are DNA typed.

Probing your DNA could trigger future privacy violations | CBC News

Privacy risks lurk in DNA tests, experts warn

Privacy Not Included: Federal Law Lags Behind New Tech — ProPublica
    Genetic Information Privacy

Dunerunner, tacmotusn and Yard Dart like this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I learned very early in life that God is quite aware of me ,in every thing I say and do.
    This knowledge and experience both guarded an guided me in my future endeavors.
    The knowledge did not come from any other persons teaching or sharing, but that if God's intervention and response to my prayers .
    Later in life I learned to be guided in my prayer ,knowing God was more aware of the real need than I was .
    I am comforted knowing God's attention to me, His intentions I can trust implicitly.

Men however knowing the doings of other men with out their consent is a whole other problem, because being evil at heart, know how to manipulate the situation to abuse some one.
    Any information some government agency can get, some one else with enough savvy can hack in the system and abuse that information as well .
    Years ago an armature radio friend was invited to sit in a meeting that was introducing 800 meg radio to the sheriff's department, boasting that it was impossible to hack .
    So my friend went home and produced a copy of all the 800 megs transmissions and brought it back to them the next day to prove the salesman a liar. They almost arrested him( the ham) but the law cannot banish any one from receiving what ever is on the air.
    The sheriffs department still went with the change but it proved to be a big mistake because in the mountains the trees and hill made those radios useless .
    In search and rescue some of us reverted to our armature radios because the were more reliable , still are.
    Point is no matter what some one claims to be secure through artificial means , it's not .
    Why do you have to have an antivirus in your computer ? and how often has it failed and a new bug is discovered.
    God I can trust.
    Men not so much.

Bandit99 and tacmotusn like this.
  15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I understand that sentiment, but was mostly only stating the obvious. Roughly at any given time 40% of the population is serving in the military or has served. Most of those have their DNA recorded whether they like it or not. Ditto in many states and municipalities anyone who is simply arrested and in almost all correction facilities inmates are DNA recorded. I do not believe this has successfully been contested except in one case were a person was arrested but not convicted and petitioned the court for all records of his arrest including DNA recording to be erased/purged, and I believe the judge granted that. My point is the genie IS OUT OF THE BOTTLE. With familial DNA testing or searches they can as seen by the Golden State Murder case track you down. If you eat out or drink on the town, you better carry your own silverware and request paper plates and cups which you put in a plastic bag and backpack that you carry with you. Your trash is fair game by law unless you take it with you and destroy it.
    You can not remain gray, no matter how hard you try. Sooner or later you will trip up. If they want your DNA they can get it. Cold hard fact.

Ganado, Bandit99 and arleigh like this.
  16. duane

duane Monkey+++

Interesting, thread. Posted in Freedom and Liberty forums and it has all of us putting on our tin foil hats and being terrified that locking the barn is futile as the horse has already been declared someone else's property. They can already patent your personal DNA, charge you to change your DNA for medical purposes, do the same with seeds, animals, etc. They can put your DNA in a data base, or views of your property, or your physical location, etc. and we are told that we can not forbid the collection or the use of the data.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Ganado and Bandit99 like this.
  17. DKR

My apologies. The DNA/ancestry company claims the cops did not have their permissiont to dip their database for police work...

18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Actually they DO have access if they have a Warrant signed by a Judge.... It has already happened and there is a Precident set...

19. DKR

The cop interviewed on the Tee Vee said they used this service because they 'didn't have to mess with' warrants and court orders.

The next step is expensive leather coats.....

20. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

The cops had crime scene DNA, Sent in a swab with the payment, and received the info
    no warrant necessary. Don't need to say say you're LE.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7