CRKT CEO - Flies Under the Radar With Elegant Ease

Discussion in 'Blades' started by 3M-TA3, Dec 19, 2019.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Just picked up this little gem from CRKT. Just big enough to be useful. Just small enough you can take it anywhere. In your shirt pocket it even looks like a pen.
    upload_2019-12-19_16-31-43.

Fit and finish is impeccable. The look is elegant enough for dress wear. it's a non assisted knife that opens as smooth as oiled butter. The blade is sharp and well designed. Lockup is SOLID with no play whatsoever.

It weighs slightly over two ounces and the blade is just over three inches making it lightweight and practical. List is $50, but I got mine at Amazon for $37.10 delivered.

IMO it's an outstanding EDC urban backup knife. I think it would also make an excellent purse knife for the ladies.

A picture for scale followed by pictures of my knife taken on the fanciest piece of cardboard I own.
    upload_2019-12-19_16-42-39.

upload_2019-12-19_16-18-47.
    upload_2019-12-19_16-19-40.
    upload_2019-12-19_16-20-46.
    Locking mechanism and clip detail
    upload_2019-12-19_16-22-20.
    Specs
    upload_2019-12-19_16-36-22.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Byte, Hanzo, GOG and 6 others like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I did hear there are lots of complaints about how hard it is to open... I do believe they were referring to one-hand opens, dunno. I normally don't do one-handed openings and if need to then on larger knives, I normally can flick-open, not all but most; however, smaller knives can be more difficult.

Question: Does this have the double-lock system like most CRKT knives? I really like that system, sort of like a belt and suspenders system. I ask because recently purchased a CRKT Squid and while I love the knife it simply has the frame lock.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

My "opens like oiled butter" comment was one handed operation. There is just enough resistance at the beginning to prevent it from opening accidentally. I'm still practicing, but so far it's been a two stage process. As soon as the initial resistance is overcome the blade moves quickly. Since I'm still "learning" the knife I've stopped at that point then (still one handed) complete the process. Likely I'll get it down pat with a bit more practice.

I read those reports as well, but many others from reliable sources that said otherwise. From the fit and finish I wouldn't expect QC or consistency issues. Maybe they were buying knockoffs? God only knows what you get from an online purchase. All I can say is that mine is exactly they way I wanted it.

The lock is a simple liner lock. Mine locks up very solidly, but locks in place smoothly is also easy to release. In my last "cardboard box" picture you can see the liner lock curving inwards to secure the blade.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Bandit99 and snake6264 like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Have a Gerber from back in the day

[​IMG]
    knife is invisible until removed.

[​IMG]

3M-TA3 likes this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I remember those! At the time everybody knew what they were, but now... probably not.

6. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

But can you get it past TSA?

7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I don't think either would unless you were wearing a turban and robes. For sure I don't want to try,

SB21 likes this.
  8. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Yup, simple liner lock. Mine opens smooth as butter, as well. It does resist right at the beginning but It seems to me that it is due to the very thin profile of the handle. It's awkward to initiate the opening compared to larger framed knifes. You really have to push out and sideways with the thumb stud. Where as, with larger frame knives, it feels more like a forward and out push of the stud. At least that's how it feels with my size hands. A little flick does help.

Overall, I really like the knife. Great handle feel and texture. Haven't even had to touch up the blade yet. Sharp as any knife I've ever had. Minimal to moderate use so far and it is a "gentleman's" knife so I don't carry it on me for everyday tasks but I do have it in my daily carry bag. And no it's not my purse...

For it's intended purpose, I'd say it's a 4.9/5 so far. And at the price point, it's unbeatable. Paid just under $38 delivered from Amazon also.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    3M-TA3 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7