Curio & Relic FireArms Bill introduced....

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by BTPost, Mar 6, 2019.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Bill would reclassify many older guns as non-regulated antique firearms
    MARCH 5, 2019

[​IMG]

Under the measure’s language, guns made before 1919 would be classified as “antiques” under the law and generally not subject to ATF regulation. (Photo: Chris Eger/Guns.com)

A U.S. Senate proposal would scrub the current federal definition of an “antique firearm” from one made before 1899 to one that is 100 years old.

Introduced last month, S.443 would result in an increase in the pool of older guns available to collectors that could be sold and shipped without a Federal Firearms License.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives generally does not regulate antique guns as defined under federal law as one made in or before 1898 that is not otherwise controlled by the National Firearms Act. This means current “pre-1899” guns enjoy a premium with collectors over firearms of the same model made after the cutoff as they can be transferred and shipped across state lines without an FFL due to their exemption.

Sponsored by U.S. Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., the proposal would strike the 1898 language, established in 1968 for guns then over 70-years-old, and replace it with “the calendar year that is 100 years before the calendar year in which such determination is being made.”

This would mean that, if implemented in 2019, non-NFA controlled guns made in or before 1919 would be exempt from federal regulations. This would free up most World War I-era rifles such as Springfield 1903s, trench guns like the Winchester 1897 and pistols like the Colt 1911 from the ATF’s purview provided their manufacture date was a century in the rearview. Further, the determination would roll forward every year.

The new measure has been referred to the Senate Committee on Finance.

Yea, Baby... That would make my Colt Pocket 1903 in 38ACP a Non-FireArm... I could go for that, BIG TIME.... Wonder if it would include my Winchester Model 94 Saddle-Ring Carbine, as well.....

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My Finn M39 with tang date of 1915, my two 1915 dated No.1 Mk.3 Enfields, and my 1917 dated Sesty Mosin-Nagant would become "nonfirearms"! Cool!

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Love it! Liberal Democrat Heads must be exploding. What about 100 year+ old Machineguns?

4. BTPost

Bill says non-NFA FireArms...

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thanks BT for posting this!!!
    On a side note,All i have is a musket

Altoidfishfins and Oltymer like this.
  6. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Of course I lost ALL my firearms during the filming of Titantic, but this is really a positive step in the right direction, and I would rather own a nice old working antique than one of those scary modern guns with the flash suppressor-bayonet thingy bobs on the front...

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

What about if the gun has the dreaded "thing that goes up!"? Oh horrors!

8. BTPost

Dang those “Up Thingies”...

Oltymer, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

heck yes!! pre model 8 and a bunch of model 8's are going to be antiques.
    but the best thing of all, all the pistols that you can get shipped to your door.

10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I'm waiting for the "See, I told you that you could buy a gun online and have it shipped to your door."

It'll make things easier at work, since lots of our guns wouldn't require a NICS check if this passes.

oldman11 likes this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

So, If this continues does that mean one day a Thompson machine gun can be bought legally once we time out at the firearm act of 1934?
    Asking for a friend?

oldman11 likes this.
  12. VisuTrac

sadly, no.
    for some reason politician freak out about automatic fire.
    maybe they fear it'll be pointed in their general direction.

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I don't know man,If its a curio and relic in another 20 odd years then why not?
    Oh, Asking for a friend this too.

oldman11, VisuTrac and Oltymer like this.
  14. VisuTrac

My 1906 thumper will wind up being an antique .. and I really like that idea.
    my question is .. when it becomes an antique .. is it no longer a semi auto? takedowns.
    EDIT:
    On a sad note, Michigan also defines antiques. So unless they change along with fed. regs .. we stay with the old def.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  15. BTPost

Nope, As i explained above, these provisions will have NO Effect on Registered MachineGuns...

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and VisuTrac like this.
  16. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Hmm P14 and P17 Enfields

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  17. VisuTrac

Here is a list (not all inclusive but these are the one's I've seen on gunbroker or being offered local gun forums or in pawn shops) interesting items that are still around that you may be able to have shipped direct to your door if it is passed:
    Nagant revolvers
    Mosin-Nagant Rifles
    Browning Auto-5 shotguns
    Browning and Colt 1903 pistols
    colt and s&w 1917 revolvers
    P08 Lugers
    Remington Autoloading Rifle (pre-model 8)
    Remington model 8
    Remington model 10 and 11 shotguns
    S&W .44 hand ejector first model and some of the second models
    S&W model 10s and their offspring in .38 special.
    springfield 1903 rifle
    some Webley and scott revolvers and semi autos (not a lot in the states)
    the venerable colt 1911 .45ACP
    arisaka 38 and 44 model rifles/carbines
    enfield 1914 rifles
    enfield 1917 rifles
    numerous mausers rifles and pistols.
    Italian caracanos
    gewehr 98s
    plus commercial semi-auto, pump, lever and bolt action rifles and revolvers from the major us manufacturers Winchester, Marlin, Remington, Stevens, etc ..

18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If replacement parts have been applied does that count ?
    Or , if the gun has been modified to handle modern rounds ?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The ATF considers a gun new or reconditioned new after so many parts are replaced besides the receiver.
    If the receiver is replaced and everything else reused it's a new gun.
    For example if you get a 1903 with a trashed stock so you put a new stock on it, it's not considered a new gun.

There is a very specific directive on this I just don't remember what it is. All I know is last time I checked it was rarely or never enforced.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    GOG, Gator 45/70 and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  20. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Watching Forgotten Weapons on YT( excellent channel BTW) stated that some early Nam era AR's are falling under C&R status.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7