DC Power box-Can't make up my mind.

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Tevin, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I don't really have a question; I'm just thinking out loud here.

I'm looking to upgrade my home brew portable battery box, used for QRP radio in the field and other assorted DC power needs.

The upgrade I want to do would cost about $175.00 using Bioenno products. This would give me a 12 aH lithium battery and a solar controller. I would be reusing the solar panel and other stuff I already have.

My conflict is that for about $30 more I can get the Bioenno power pack. The 10 AH battery, controller, everything, is done for me. It's laid out in a really nice, well planned package and includes a built-in inverter and a USB port, neither of which are on my current box. The battery is 2 aH smaller than the one in my home-brew proposal, not a big deal.

I can live without the inverter but it is a nice perk, even if it's one of the less desirable modified sine wave types.

A lot of my gear is home built, and I really enjoy the DIY experience vs. just buying a plug-and-play device. But it almost feels like a waste of money to upgrade my existing power box when for a few bucks more I can get a factory-made version that is much nicer and has more features.

2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

For a roughly 15% premium, and (possibly) saving some weight and volume, well ---

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Give it a shot and see what we learn ,30$ is cheap learnen !!!
    S

Salted Weapon likes this.
  4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Given the whole shooting match isn't much larger than a 9 ah SLA battery and weighs less...why not? Sure, it's more expensive (than SLA), but battery life is far superior.

oldbee1966 and Salted Weapon like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7