De - Fence ( the Fence )

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Salted Weapon, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon West Coast Monkey

So I have sensors around my house pretty much tell me if unwanted persons come into my yards.
    However I would like to find a way to protect the fence without spending a huge amount of money, I would like to have some kinda trigger device that birds, cats wont set off the fence is wood so attaching a sensor to it wont help so looking for inexpensive ideas to detect the fence area without getting a million false alarms.
    Due to the nature of my yard sensors they wont pick up cats or dogs just people. But Getting a fence protected brings up the question how, and how to do it reasonable. I can build anything I prefer that it possible. Thought of trip lines but then they would need to be set all along the fence and have a trigger setup not easily done. Ideas again please keep in mind not looking for microwave, shock sensors or fiber optics all would be way way out of range.

2. duane

duane Monkey++

The military in the past has learned that the only long term viable system is two fences with a dead zone, think land mines in past, pressure sensors etc now. This limits false alarms as animals and "casual" humans can not access the dead zone. My thoughts would be an electric fence, non lethal, with a detection system to show cutting it or other failures, and then short range detectors in the dead zone. Jerry Young prefers fence followed by aggressive vegetation, blackberry, thorn plants etc and then detection system. Find it hard to argue with a lot of the views in his stories. The real question is if you want the fence to stop intruders, slow them down, or alert you of their presence. The German west wall along the coast of Europe worked just as it was supposed to, it limited our access, reduced the area to be defended in an active attack, forced us to concentrate our forces, limited our supply chain, and such, Hitler and the Nazi forces were just not able to accomplish the next step in the plan and repel the invading forces. With the loss of air superiority and Hitler's second guessing his generals, we won. I find it interesting that most defensive systems planned by preppers do not address the question of what the wall is supposed to do. Given our resources, we are not going to prevail over a "bearcat" or air attack, or in most cases long range sniper or suppressive fire, thus I think that a low cost warning system and keeping out random entry, at a limited cost as per Young and spending resources on fall back or bug out sites is more reasonable.

Bandit99, GOG, Salted Weapon and 2 others like this.
  3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey++

I've pondered this question also. Sooner or later I'm going to have to erect some type of barrier, although the local natural brush is quite dense and difficult to walk through. And other than the access, it's about 3/4 mile to the nearest road, which is dirt and not regularly maintained.

I've thought about barbed wire, 5 or 7 strand. But that can be defeated with a good pair of wire cutters. Don't know if it's worth the effort without an alarm system other than to keep "casuals" out.

Be good if an alarm system would notify of a breach, and where the breach is. Suppose you could use a single wire strung along with the barbed and some kind of a TDR that can accurately locate a cut. But that, I doubt, would be cheap.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Salted Weapon and Motomom34 like this.
  4. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

Maybe set some weights that will fall onto sensors, triggering your alarm when something substantial climbs the fence, like a human.

Wooden fence, make the vertical boxes of the same wood to blend in.

Salted Weapon and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Salted Weapon

I have pondered this along time, seems the farther you go out from base the harder it is to manage.
    I have solar, battery and ac sensors as well as lights, so there is a redundancy. The fence I keep allot of blackberries along the east and west. The north is a few trees and pretty much nothing else until you get in the parameter. But even then then sensors work but only when close to base, lights activate slightly farther but there is no audable and on the lights I wouldn't want it that way I would like to hear why they were activate not hear a buzz or alarms.

Tell me if this is dumb ? I thought of setting up post to post trip wires just at the just at the top of the fence using 22 blanks ( kind you buy for nail guns) set in rat traps putting a hand over the fence would trip it but not a bird on top.. Line is tripped it tells the intruder some thing just happened may not alert me as 22 are not that loud. But its a step, just not sure how to do other wise. The sensors have ability to several stations but are audable inside 1 beep area A: 2 beep area 2 and so on using these on a fence would be to hard to manage the amount of sensors and where it was triggered. So I know how to try and keep people out but kinda my question is what do I do to know first line of security was breached?
    Barbed wire I used t have but its really not what I want, I often think barbed wire just tells people you have something worth protecting and its easily disabled. I mean if money was no object I would put all cyclone 10 feet with motion sensors on the fens like they have in prisons and ( fema camps :rolleyes:) other areas of security.
    Well beating my brain to try and find something that easily setup and maintained but on the cheap so to speak.

Bandit99 likes this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++

I think the bottom line is 'cost effective' or else we would all have double 12 foot chain link with a 10 foot dead zone with ground sensors and infrared cameras hook to a state-of-art intrusion system. What about something as simple as a numerous strands of barbed or razor wire and hang empty tin cans from them (think WW1) with a small dog in the house that could then hear if the wire has been compromise?

I got 5 acres and have thought of this often. I have a strong front gate that can deny vehicles as would the woods around that gate but people can still walk into the property undetected. But, without a serious investment in grounds sensors and infrared cameras hooked to a computer system there just is no way so...compromise. I will pull in the detection area to the clear zone around the house which is quite large, ~1.5 acres, and place my cans/wire ~10 feet in front of the woods so they have to leave the wood to gain entrance. Cameras will be on the house to monitor the 3 ingress areas. If there is time then I will set a second can/wire fence 10 feet back. The fence is nothing more than metal 8 feet T-posts driven in the ground, cost about $7 each max, $5 on sale. As far as the gate (because they could cut the lock and drive in) there is a ground sensor that you can purchase that will notify you over your UHF/VHF radio. I have the radios but not the sensor as just heard about it from a friend. This is the best I can do. I mean if it got serious you can put out punji stakes, some nasty snares, even some pits... The small dog obviously is a big part to the entire scheme...cheap to feed, a cheap early warning system.

Salted Weapon likes this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Get guinea hens. they keep bugs under control provide eggs and make a he'll of a noise if anyone approaches. My grandparents had these on an 80 acre farm. no one got on the farm that they didn't squawk. ...
    [​IMG]

8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Cameras work .
    The range of possibilities is far greater than any other option.
    I have cameras, and my brother has cameras, and his actually paid off several times.
    Cameras tat are visible and those that are hidden are equally important.
    The visible ones deter the marginal intruder, and the hidden ones catch intruders that are bold enough to disable the visible ones.
    Even a few fakes are a good idea, but not with out real ones to back things up.
    I believe in cameras so much, that I have them also put away in faraday boxes for safe keeping, in the event those in place are fried for any reason. .

Bandit99 likes this.
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++

@arleigh "...Cameras that are visible and those that are hidden are equally important....I believe in cameras so much..."
    Me too! Quick story... living in a third-world country where everyone knows you have more money than they do because all Americans are millions is a real challenge at times. I found that a simple good looking camera 'fake' camera mount far enough away and high enough so they can't get a good look at or mess with was an amazing deterrent! Ours had a red flashing LED to make it look like it is operational. Everyone was scared spitless especially the utility guys that would come to shake us down. LOL!!! Yeah, they work. I haven't yet but I will get a few to stick in the trees around the house along with a couple of real wireless ones.

@Ganado We had Geese when I was a kid and believe me, I know what you mean! They were right outside my bedroom window. LOL! :):) Hell, they would be better than a dog for like you said, they pay their way by giving eggs and meat.

@Salted Weapon "I thought of setting up post to post trip wires just at the just at the top of the fence using 22 blanks...using rat traps"
    I think this is an excellent idea and would scare the pants off someone who tripped it at night. Maybe not such a good idea to do until things really get...harsh (lots of deer here, dogs) but definitely a good idea. I would definitely do this probably use heavy fishing line at ankle level. Great idea!

Salted Weapon and Ganado like this.
  10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have these electric matches inside a tube containing 5 grams of flash powder stuffed inside a box of blue chalk dust. I made a trip-wire from a plastic clothes pin with aluminum tape around the jaws, separated by a sliver of plastic with a trip=wire attached. Pull the plastic from between the jaws, circuit complete, match detonates and unwanted visitor impregnated with blue chalk dust and damaged ear-drums.

Bandit99, Ganado and Salted Weapon like this.
  11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

consider either a laser optical or photo optical sensor array... you can rig a series of optical sensors that will alarm when broken.. placement would be the issue... you might be able, depending on the distance to cover, place a dual beam system like this:
    Photoelectric Beam
    in service or a series of them... 300 meters max outdoors...

12. Salted Weapon

I had looked into these but just too expensive :(

13. Witch Doctor 01

Salted Weapon likes this.
  14. Witch Doctor 01

15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

im kinda low tech, hawthorn, elderberry or black berry bushes and then use the expensive stuff on a few key entries... and of course fowl for alarms. =)

Seacowboys likes this.
  16. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey++

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I like saw briars, If your not from the south then your in for a real treat.
    Throw in some black berry vines and someone will be eaten alive!!!

1. Yard Dart
  2. arleigh
  3. GhostX
  4. Motomom34
  5. Yard Dart
  6. DarkLight
  7. Motomom34
  8. enloopious
  9. Motomom34
  10. lonewolf88
  11. Garand69
  12. VisuTrac