Digital Ham Comms and COMMSEC/OPSEC

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by JediWoodsman, Jan 28, 2020.

1. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

Hey all,
    I was browsing around and saw some people briefly mention their Digital Ham Radios. This got me thinking, I have a TYT Digital HT and as I understand it you can program in an encryption key into these radios (choice of 16 or 128 bit, I think). I haven't looked into it yet as I only have the 1 radio to hit my local digital repeater, but would this be an option similar to the iDEN/i335 phone setup that some people have done here?
    Seems like you could pick a 2m simplex frequency and just go for it. With the digital setup you could do call groups and multiple "channels" with different keys.
    You could also integrate this into your mobile rig and/or base station with some of the higher power digital radios.
    Anyone do any testing with this, I am going to have to see what I can come up with.
    Of course I will note that it is illegal to operate encrypted on the ham radio bands.
    I also wonder about using this technique on FRS/GMRS, although I suspect it would be illegal there as well.

So what do you all think? In SHTF (where legality is not a concern) you think this would work and be a decent method of secure communications?

J-Woodsman

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    DuxDawg and offgrittyt like this.
  2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

I am not a ham.

1. please do not break the law :) :)
    2. 16bit is incredibly weak, do not use it.
    3. 128bit might be weak depending on the implementation or a lot weaker than it should be, do not use it.
    4. most or all COMMSEC/OPSEC is lost the second information is entered into or passes through an insecure device or is transmitted over RF especially if that device was manufactured in china or has parts from china

china, russia, iran and other hostile foreign entities are listening to all of our transmissions, military and civilian.

china has hax0r3d into just about everything, yes really. Remember the OPM hack??

No, no, no and no.

[biggrouphug] [biggrouphug]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2020
    offgrittyt likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well now, lets look at who you are trying to lock out of your Comms by using Digital Encrypted Comms....
    1. your neighbors.... Yes, Any of those should keep the neighbors at bay, but understand that your transmissions still can be DF'ed when using this type of Digital Comms as they put all that Digital Modulation on an RF Carrier emission...
    2. local .Gov of some kind.... Yes, the above also holds true for these entities, clear out to State .Gov...
    3. National and International .Gov.... Not likely, as these folks have the capability to decode and or break just about ANY encryption scheme marketed in the USA, as well as DF on non-SpreadSpectrum Emissions...

This is one of the reasons the the IDEN Phones were so heavily bought when they were surpluses by the NovaTell Network collapse back in the day... and why they are still useful... Low Power SpreadSpectrum with multiple Spreading Codes make them non-DF'able to all but the most sophisticated Monitoring Suite.... In the MonkeyNet submissions we talk about using Onetime Phrase Pads, as the encryption method for non-Secured Comms... This is un-Crackable without the corresponding Pad... If you don't have the PAD, you are totally "Out of Luck" even with the Biggest SuperComputer....

Digital has a lot of nice advantages in connectivity, but Security isn't one of them....

DuxDawg, 3M-TA3, offgrittyt and 2 others like this.
  4. BenP

BenP Monkey++

It is better than no encryption.

offgrittyt likes this.
  5. offgrittyt

offgrittyt You gonna eat that?

BACK IN THE DAY, I used to literally wire miniature, analog, voice scrambling modules into two-way radios, (Canyon State was a popular manufacturer at that time), which would simply invert the modulation but was effective in scrambling the transmit audio to thwart the eves dropping scanner crowd, at least for awhile.
    As time when on, rolling code keys and digital methods of modulating our beloved sinusoidal RF waves became the rule and not the exception. Is there anything scrambled by human beans that cannot be de scrambled by human beans you're asking? Highly doubt it.
    GMRS, last I checked there was only one 25 watt VHF frequency, because it was only one channel it could not be part of a repeater pair, bummer. The rest of the GMRS channels are really low power, therefore, not much fun!
    What's FRS again?
    Happy Modulating, Peace. OG

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Family Radio Service
    Family Radio Service (FRS)
    I don't think that digital comms is allowed.

offgrittyt likes this.
  7. offgrittyt

8. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

if you monitor Military freqs now you will hear One Time used messages, all alpha/numeric code, most/much comes out of Andrews. You will also hear other Numbers Stations still in use, these are very often Cuban stations or the like - big thing during the cold war, hey guess what still a thing, why because as noted it is un-crackable without the corresponding pad . Still a violation of ham rules if you want to follow them to the letter of the law part 97. Now assuming the SHTF situation you may not be concerned with Part 97 or anything else related to rules at that point, but I;ll always side on following the rules ;-) upload_2020-1-28_18-37-27.

DuxDawg and offgrittyt like this.
  9. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

There was a great article about this very topic on my favorite blog: Communications Security (as good as it gets). - Off Grid Ham

The bottom line is that true comms security is impossible on the amateur bands without breaking the law. However, there is a lot you can legally do to reduce your exposure.

For example, the article suggests using obsolete data modes like AMTOR that hardly anyone would think to use and may not even have the equipment to decode.

DuxDawg, JediWoodsman and offgrittyt like this.
  10. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

GMRS is UHF, has multiple repeater pairs, and power up to 40 watts mobile or repeater and 5 watts handie-talkie. MURS is vhf low power but pretty discrete. Then again in a WROL situation, one should have scouted out empty freqs such as closed businesses.

offgrittyt likes this.
  11. offgrittyt

I see, thank you. Back in the day, I used to file for many, many FCC licenses for frequencies in the commercial two-way radio bands between 30mhz and 960 MHz. Recently I attempted to find out from the FCC how to file on my own for a single VHF channel but came up empty handed. Seems like the FCC doesn't provide any service to the small fry, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. ALSO, What is WROL? Anyway, here's a pretty good gmrs/frs chart, I can't seem to identiy any reoeater pairs and like you said, no Vhf. FRS and GMRS Frequencies

12. offgrittyt

Excellent info thanks.

13. offgrittyt

Cool article, it talks about creating one time use pads and distributing them amongst a group!

14. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Try mygmrs.com to find repeaters in your area. There is nothing in the rules (FCC part 95) that does not allow scrambling or encryption that I can find.

15. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

§ 95.181 Permissible communications. (a) A station operator for an individual who is licensed in the GMRS (other than an employee of that individual) may communicate two-way voice messages concerning the licensee’s personal or business activities (see §95.179).
    (b) [Reserved]
    (c) A station operator for any entity other than an individual licensed in the GMRS may communicate two-way VerDate Nov<24>2008 11:39 Dec 09, 2009 Jkt 217204 PO 00000 Frm 00544 Fmt 8010 Sfmt 8010 Y:\SGML\217204.XXX 217204 rmajette on DSKHWCL6B1PROD with CFR 535 Federal Communications Commission Pt. 95, Subpt. A, App. A voice messages concerning the licensee’s business activities (see §95.179). An employee for an entity other than an individual licensed in the GMRS may, as a station operator, communicate two-way voice messages while acting within the scope of his/her employment.
    (d) A station operator for any GMRS licensee may communicate two-way voice messages concerning: (1) Emergencies (see §95.143); (2) Rendering assistance to a motorist; and (3) Civil defense drills, if the responsible agency requests assistance.
    (e) All messages must be in plain language (without codes or hidden meanings). They may be in a foreign language, except for call signs (see §95.119).
    (f) A station operator may communicate tone messages for purposes of identification or transmitter control in a control link.

offgrittyt likes this.
  16. offgrittyt

Ok I see the non scrambling caveat, and now that I think about it, I have often communicated on the radio in a way that did not give specific identifiers of things like names, locations or activity, but the people that mattered knew what I meant. I suppose this was also a form of coding too, therefore, illegal! ~ Also, I read the legalese in your response, I believe that it says that employees of and other users authorized by the licensed station operator can talk on the channel and anyone can in an emergency, right?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  17. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

WROL = without rule of law

sec_monkey and offgrittyt like this.
  18. offgrittyt

Yes, I read the above piece of legalese and fed it through my plain language decoder and I think it says that employees and other people authorized by the license holder can operate on the licensees frequency as well as anyone needing to operate for the purposes of a valid emergency can too. Agree or ?

19. offgrittyt

ok thanks.

sec_monkey likes this.
  20. offgrittyt

Communicate without hidden meaning? What is this George Orwell's 1984? Is there a federal hidden meaning gestapo now?!! That's unfair!

DuxDawg likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7