Dish Network Newest Scam

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TXKajun, Aug 7, 2019.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Well, things got "interesting" this afternoon. I was watching tv...we have Dish Network as our satellite provider.....and got a call from a barely understandable guy who said he was from Dish and they needed to check my receiver because they were upgrading the software to give HD, ultraHD, and 4K performance. He gave me some instructions and said my receiver needed to be upgraded and he could do that right now......for my trouble, they would give me a $15 credit on my bill for the next 24 months. Also, there was an installation fee of $149.99 that they would waive if I gave them the ok to make the changes. I started getting a bit suspicious because in my experience, Dish doesn't do stuff like this. When he made the changes, he asked if I wanted the fee to be put on my credit card ending in XYZA.....which were the correct last 4 digits of the credit card on file. I said "Whoa! You said you were going to waive the $149.99 fee!" Things went rapidly downhill from there. I ended up asking to speak to his supervisor....and he transferred me to another guy. The supervisor went on at length explaining how they couldn't waive the $149.99 fee because it was from the software company and they had to pass it on to the customer, blah, blah, blah. Both the first guy and the supervisor said they had the conversation recorded and that I must have misunderstood that the fee was going to be charged up front and I would get the money back as part of the 24 month credits. No f'n way!! I told the supervisor to play back the recording to me, which of course, he didn't (couldn't?) do. I got transferred back to the first guy, and things went rapidly even more downhill. He had given me his phone number, which was real close to Dish toll free number, his name and employee number at the start of the call and sounded very legit. After a few choice words on my part that included "blackmail", "lying, cheating SOB", and a few other words expressing my extreme displeasure, the first guy finished up with "When you can't get your channels anymore, give me a call." and then hung up WTF??? After a few minutes, I checked and yep, lots of my channels were missing!

I went online and found I was locked out of my account. Surprise, surprise, right? I called Dish and got my password reset and yep, my programming was major changed. I worked with both a customer service rep and a fraud division rep and we finally got things back to where they were supposed to be. The fraud rep and the customer service rep both said yep, the whole thing was a setup to get my credit card number (which fortunately I didn't give). Man, those reps sure were a major help, not to mention courteous and sharp.

So, moral of story: Dish doesn't do business like that. If you get a call that's similar just hang up. I imagine this is happening with DirectTV and probably internet providers, also.

Kajun

Ganado, Bandit99, Meat and 8 others like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I got something like that awhile back about wanting to upgrade COX cable internet....Basically same MO Dude could barley speak half-ass English...
    Told him hell no,I was fine were I'm at and hung up!

Ura-Ki, SB21 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I've had severfal calls that ID themselves as Dish Network, but I do not answer. There is never a message left...

I wonder....

[​IMG]

4. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Dunerunner, I think your picture nailed it. I could hear several folks in the background just like your pic show s. To them it's a job, how they make their living, I guess.

5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Since your programming changed, and they had a partial card number, I would guess that Dish Network had it's data breached.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My DirecTv account is paid a year in advance, and no one ever calls, because there is a non-working phone number, on the account from two decades ago... I only use the Account Number as identification, and when they see my account history they are always very helpful, on the few times I call them... This account was one of the very first ones in Alaska, that is still active...

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

That was my first thought as well! AND, how can/did they throttle the settings remotely? Definitely sketch!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

DISH did have a data breach recently. A huge number of accounts affected. Glad you got it sorted out!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

What?? Microstuff windoz is not the scam of choice any !onger??

Was funny how they knew I had windoz on my computer when I haven't used it in many years!

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The scammers can get your name, card number, dates on your card.
    So if they call you for some reason and say would you like to use your card 1234, then I need you to confirm the 3 digit security code on the back.
    They can't get the security code. Unless you give it to them.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

If this happens to anyone, and you suspect that your CC# has been compromised, call your financial institution tell them you believe due to recent events you believe that CC# IS Compromised, that you want to freeze it immediately, and be issued a new card and #. Do this before you are slammed hard. Keep in mind that something like 50% of every CC# and more was compromised in the Equifax data breech.

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7