Do you plan on going outside?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Big Ron, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Hi! I came out with this after reading the At what distance do you stop being a threat.
    This is the opposite of you firing at someone. Consider what it will take to go outside and consider someone trying to pick you off. If you have a big property or live isolated it would make it easier to protect yourself and family.
    But the average person has to go out the front door sometime. I like the idea of cameras and sensors.
    Just being in tune with what is going on.In a real SHTF Situation having someone being on guard makes sense. Ducks and small dogs make good alarms but only to so far away. Trying to perceive a threat 500 yards away is kind of tough. I think in bad times many would die.

arleigh, Seepalaces and sarawolf like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Unless you have 360 degrees of your isolated property and extremely good optics and training, even in an area with property you have to have surveillance. Remote video, trip alarms, and in severe life and death situation SHTF, man traps, incumberances and mines.

And, you are correct that whether you are in the city, burbs, semi-rural, or wilderness; they will come and it will not be a friendly visit.

Seepalaces and Tully Mars like this.
  3. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Living so far out and well off the preverbial beaton path, anyone that is moving around here is suspect. And my dog alerts on anything moving around out there..

BlueDuck, Seepalaces and Bandit99 like this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yeah, me too but no dog - yet...does a snoopy wife count? LOL! Actually, most the folks that do live around know here each other and look out for each other which helps immensely. I think it is a necessity, can't be done alone...

Seepalaces likes this.
  5. covey leader

covey leader Practice makes perfect

Not so distant plan is to plant clumping bamboo around the entire perimeter behind the privacy fence encompassing the back property. That will effectively provide a 16 foot tall screen. During an event, a solar powered camera monitoring system will be in place and an elevated armored hide site with night vision capability will be active.
    Once the SHTF, other measures will be in place as force multipliers.

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There is far too much foliage at mixed distances from my place , and I could be picked off easily from 100 to 500 yards .
    It is impossible to know till the event actually occurs what your neighbors are actually going to do .
    What people say and intend may actually be neighborly however, when the belly is grumbling and people are weak, noble promises may get set aside.
    A dependent relationship with one another is a far better bond than just another mouth to feed .
    Secondly ,
    Those remaining with the more advanced technologies will use those technologies to their fullest advantage, there for, having
    electronic surveillance as far and as dense as you can afford might give you an edge, intruders are not going to expect. A simple microphone doesn't need much in electronics to function . the more significant investment wilI be in wire and burying it .

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7