1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Do you use the 'Related Threads' displayed at the bottom of pages?

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by melbo, Mar 24, 2015.

1. No, I didn't see them

13 vote(s)
  2. Yes, I love it

19 vote(s)
  3. I saw them but never tried to click on anything

24 vote(s)
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

There is quite a lot of behind the scenes work to connect the GBs of information at SM and make sure that timeless threads don't get lost in the forums. To assist this goal, we have the ability to add 'tags' to threads which links similar content and also displays Related Threads at the bottom of many threads.

We're wondering how useful this is.
    We're also testing our new 'Featured Polls' functionality :)

As an example: This thread Ideal Survival Rifle | Survival Forums contains the tag 'AR-15' which links it to other threads with the same tag.

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

I do. I actually like that feature.
    john316 and melbo like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

I've never used the feature, most of the time I'm looking for something specific or just cruising the forum.
    melbo likes this.
  4. RightHand

RightHand Pioneer in a New World Moderator Founding Member

While I don't use it, I suspect that it is a valuable tool, for newcomers especially so. A lot of work to maintain but worth the effort I think. Thanks @Brokor - I know you've worked hard on this
    Tully Mars, melbo and chelloveck like this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I seldom use the tags. Only when trying to find something specific that the searchbox can not find.
    melbo likes this.
  6. Motomom34

When I search something in the search box, my search always pulls up stuff from the reading room. The search box can pull up 10 pages of stuff but half+ of the stuff is in a story. With the related thread display it gives me easier access to the info I am looking for vs. wading thru 10 pages of hits.
    Tully Mars and melbo like this.
  7. melbo

Our search is tricky. If you are in a forum it will default to only searching that forum. You need to untick this box:

But even then it's a dumb search because it only looks for instances of a word and doesn't recognize context. A better way would be this - enter your search as water filter and then hit the Google tab in the search result:

You can see that water filter didn't do so well with Forum search:
    Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I use the tags features sometimes...it's nice knowing that it's there and that if I want to look for related material that it is there to make that task easier.
    Tully Mars and melbo like this.
  9. techsar

techsar Monkey++

I don't use them often, but the times I have indulged saved me time...and occasionally found items that I would have missed otherwise.
    chevychick01 and melbo like this.
  10. melbo

Great. We'll keep working on linking things together.
    Always trying to improve the experience at SM :)
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    Tully Mars likes this.
  11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey Site Supporter+

Like a couple others have said, I have used it but not a lot as I'm usually in cruise mode. That being said, Like @Motomom34 I found it a bit easier than the search. Next time I'll try your tip mentioned above.
    Motomom34 likes this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I love the tags and the related items that the bottom. And the seo for this forum will rise quickly using tags. You will have to judge for yourself if that is good or bad... Higher visibility and you can get more radical/reactionary elements.... One of the thing is love about this site is the level of intelligent and thoughtful discussion... I run a couple of large gaming forums and the amount of work it takes to keep it clean is some times overwhelming..... So I really appreciate the owners and Mods on here and how much work they do to keep this a polite but fun interactive site
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    techsar, melbo, RightHand and 3 others like this.
  13. Motomom34

@Ganado very well said, couldn't agree more. [applaud][applaud][applaud]
    Ganado likes this.
  14. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I'm still getting the atmosphere and personalities here. I'll explore that feature. Thanks.
    Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary