Does anyone can in the #10 cans?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Modus Operandi, Jul 9, 2020.

1. I know you can dry pack food in a #10 can same as you would at a Mormon Cannery. But has anyone wetpacked food in the #10 cans? Per my All American canner instructions, you can utilise #10 cans in a pressure canner as long as the cans are enamel lined and you have a dry canner sealer to secure the lids onto the can. I have a smaller dry canner but was wondering if anyone has attempted or does this on a regular basis? Thanks in advance.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Used to can cherries gleaned from my grandfather's orchard, but the local canneries are all gone now....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

NO! Not that I wouldn't mind it, but the equipment is super 'spensive for home users to have, and there is limited supplies available locally. These days, the 5 gallon buckets lined with vac sealed Mylar bags seems to do jjst as well, and is much cheaper, though life span comes into question!

Tully Mars, Brokor and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  4. I currently have 3 All American canners, a Presto, and a Mirro pressure canners and 2 water bath canners. In addition I have one All American seam sealer for the No3 cans that I paid a fortune for ($100 on Craigslist). This same sealer retails new for $700! But,
    we have been looking for a No10 sealer to dry can pasta, cereal, etc as it is more convenient than 5 gallon buckets. With the seam sealer canner, you can do both dry and wet pack food, the food is kept entirely in the dark, is rodent proof, and it's easier to store in the pantry. A no10 can holds about 12-14 cups of food so for our group about 2 servings per person. Cans are available online, as are plastic lids and before abby one days jars are reusable, yes I know. But jars also break easily when a shelf collapses (as has happened to me). Thus why I was inquiring. Thanks for the responses thus far.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

MMmmmmmmm, Mormons.
    I, for one wouldn't mind having a few wives and a #10 canning system.
    Wait a minute, WTH am I saying? :eek:

Yes, it's just far too expensive. It's not even reasonable.

Do it!!!

STANGF150 and Tully Mars like this.
  6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

There was a cannery in Green Cove Springs, Fl that catered to blow-boaters in canning foods for voyages. You could bring copious amounts of pretty much anything cooked and ready for canning to them and they would pack it into whatever sized cans you wanted and seal and heat. We often took whole chickens, pot roasts, stews, vegetables, etc. there for storage aboard.

STANGF150, Brokor and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7