Does your outdoor knife also do Kitchen duty?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by plumberroy, Jul 10, 2021.

1. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

I have used my Moras for kitchen duty for ever, last winter I was on crutches from surgery, not working so I spent most of my time on forums. I mentioned that I wanted a BK10 but between my hours being cut due to COVID-19 (I work in a hospital) and surgery I was living on 80% of my normal pay . The BK-10 would have to wait. I got a P.M. from a member of that forum that he would send me a BK-10 it had the thumb ramp removed and the top of the clip point rounded some. This quickly became my go-to knife outside. The surgery has allowed me to get a garden out this year . Well now we are up to our ears in Cucumbers and summer squash. I find myself reaching for my BK-10 for kitchen duty too I sliced up a bunch of cucumbers for my lovely wife to make bread and butter pickles today and I slice excess squash up and dehydrate it
    IMG_20210710_131617. IMG_20210708_165038.

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Unfortunately, most of my knives are too thick to be effective in the kitchen, outside of my Filet knives, and Bubba is my go to knife for it's utility and ability to hold an edge! Not a cheap blade, but for a comparable Japanese or German blade, an absolute bargain! Outside of some very trick butchering blades, that's about it!

plumberroy, duane and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  3. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

That looks remarkably like my Nesco dehydrators that everyone makes fun of :)

plumberroy, duane and SB21 like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Don't know the name of mine ,, but it looks just like mine also .
    And yes ,, my everyday carry blade ,, whichever one I happen to be carrying,, will get used for food prep , or eating,, if one is needed .

plumberroy and duane like this.
  5. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

Yep Nesco I just got 2 more trays for it today setting on a shelf in the bedroom running right now
    I sliced most of those cucumbers and 6 zucchini up today with that BK10

Thunder5Ranch and SB21 like this.
  6. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

I added two more trays today. It's back at work tonight

7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I got a wonderful BK-16 that I think is one of the best knives I have ever own given the price. It's light, sharpens to a really nice edge quickly and smaller to be use to do about everything. I also have it's bigger brother, the Companion (can't remember the number) which I keep in the truck but it's too heavy to use in the kitchen or etc., more of a survival knife.

8. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

NO! Cause there is no telling what kinda nasty is on my pocket knife or fixed blade knife. There are knives you use for eating and cooking, and knives that you use to cut calves and such. I ain't got time to wash my outdoor knives good enough to eat with!

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Yes, I use my knives for both out door and kitchen duty, it's SOP.
    Washing is regular, at least once a month whether they need it or not.

SB21, john316 and Dark Wolf like this.
  10. Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf Monkey

Yes.

DW

SB21 likes this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yes. What comes to hand when cutting needs done ---

SB21 likes this.
  12. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

Yes, at times one of the outdoor knives is press-ganged into the kitchen, mostly for hacking up raw turkey or chickens prior to cooking or freezing. Generally it's a Buck 120 General... The kukris and larger bowies just don't cut it in the kitchen, one reason being they aren't stainless...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  13. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Yes……my RMDs, ASH1s and SYKCO 1311 have all seen kitchen duty !

14. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

Most of them do, at one time or another... Ive decided that for production blades, the vast improvements in stainless knife steels in the last 30 or so years make stainless the go-to outdoor blades (at least the smaller ones) these days over carbon steels. I still have a couple older carbon steel French and Japanese cooking knives, but mostly the more recent stainless knives are making the cut...

15. MarkTwain

MarkTwain Monkey

I refuse to use any of my Wusthof kitchen knives outdoors. Thus I get to have a collection of outdoor specialty knives, too.

16. percival

percival Monkey

I was just thinking of this the other day. My 'outdoor' knife is the LTWright Mantis Sospes and woud make a perfect kitchen knife preventing me from having to worry about what I will use or carry along. Add some basic utensils, plates etc., and that's all you need.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7