Driving with a trailer hitch while not towing ? WTF??

Discussion in 'Politics' started by VisuTrac, May 17, 2012.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

screw that!

I'm gonna mod my truck and tail gate. Removing the balls as then it wouldn't be a 'Trailer Hitch'
    !B49QdrwBGk~$(KGrHqZ,!joEybp68B9rBMrzc)JDVQ~~_3.JPG

2. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

These last two posts make me happy! :grin:

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I wish I could find a picture to show you what I mean, though it was a custom job. When I was younger, I saw a truck with a really big bumper on the back. It was a solid steel affair that looked like a tube bumper with a ball in the center. Though when you grasped the ball and pulled outward, it would actually slide out from the tube where an arm from the left and an arm from the right, came together and turned into an extended hitch. The ball then stood out from the truck a couple of feet for pulling trailers and the like. I always thought of some poor schmuck running into it. That car would have been no more.

There is always someone trying to make money by coming up with the dumbest laws and garbage. I bet it is not the police that is concerned by this so much as it is some micro-managing idiot with nothing better to do. It is not the ball that obscures the tag so much as it is the add-ons that people buy for the ball. Such as the bullet, deerhead and other things that stand above the ball. In the human mind, you can put together things that are minimally obscured. You see the top half of letters and numbers, your mind will complete the lower half and bingo, you know what you are looking at. However if you obscure a few numbers totally, then your mind doesn't have anything to go on. Still and all, shouldn't the gov be more worried about getting us out of this mess that the country is in, instead of worrying about tags?

There has to be a solution to the problem pervading the land. People worry too much about nothing and not enough about something.

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Obviously this regulation isn't pandering to the panel beating industry lobby.... ; )

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I'd bet any such idiotic laws as banning hitches not in use are simply attempts by the local Goobermint to generate revenue from fines. They see us as Golden Geese to be squeezed for all the golden eggs we can produce.

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

A great way to deter tailgators too! Love it! Me and a buddy were looking at these hay gizmos at the Tractor Supply Store last weekend. :D

Ken_C likes this.
  7. xanadu

xanadu Neophyte Monkey

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2018
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That is the dumbest Statute clause I h ave ever heard proposed... Just plain STUPID....

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That is actually not uncommon a rule, not too often enforced. The explanation I got was that it's a safety issue in that it bypasses shock absorbing bumpers, and is considered a hazard to walkers in parking lots, and the cops chasing you can't read your plate. All I had to do was tell him I was on the way back to my trailer, and off I went with a verbal.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  10. VisuTrac

Nice initial post.

chelloveck, Gray Wolf and Zimmy like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@xanadu Be careful, you are skating on the edge of violating the CoC that you should have read when you registered.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Sounds like a guy with a sore knee....

13. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

From new member to ignored by me in less than 3 hours! A new record!

chelloveck and mysterymet like this.
  14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

There are a great many things you don't need like a car that goes faster than the speed limit, a house larger than the basic needs of your family, food you enjoy rather than the minimal necessary to keep you alive, etc.. Here's what I don't need: Politicians that have nothing better to do than worry about whether or not I have a hitch installed in my truck. This is part of the soft tyranny our government uses to condition us so we act like subjects (as in subjugated) instead of citizens. I also need even less some cheezdeek nitwit weighing in to tell me that, not to mention that you were responding to a necro thread that hasn't seen the light of day in five years. I'd tell you to mind your own damn business, but it sounds like you are waiting for an authority to mind it for you.

15. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I make a point of leaving mine in all day every day....three accidents now where some inattentive tool has run up the back of me and damaged nothing more than the plastic cover I have on the ball....well ....that's all they have damaged on mine....theirs on the other hand..... ;) :D This thread is however bordering on SIX YEARS old so it could well have been dead....someone should stab this zombie in the bloody head.....

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

i have Ball Hitches front and Rear on the Rhino, as I also use them as Winch Points when I Single, or Double., Block, on a dificult Winch Job... The same is true for our White Toyota 4X4 Pickup Truck, even though we do NOT have a winch mounted on it yet... Anyone who doesn’t like it can kiss my Rosy Red ______. (Fill in your own Noun)

oldawg, Gator 45/70 and VisuTrac like this.
  17. VisuTrac

Nah, the drive-by cranky poster, as was already mentioned, probably busted up their knee/shin/leg running behind a parked vehicle in the daytime, then fell into parking lot, striking head on pavement, causing mild brain damage along with the permanent limp. Thus making them unemployable except for lowly service jobs where dealing with people is not required. So they now spend their days striking out against the lowly trailer hitch and their owners.

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

IMG_20180111_164823.
    My hitch is a part of what holds the wheel chair bracket I made .
    I've had plenty of cops behind me and said nothing .

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and VisuTrac like this.
  19. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Welcome to the tree.......and........bless your little heart.

20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Boom, Talk about a shot from the dark!
    [LMAO]

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7