Gear Review Du-Bro kerosene pump (15 year review)

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by hot diggity, Dec 20, 2020.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

[​IMG]

Unless you use your kerosene mantle lamps frequently and keep the kerosene in them fresh you'll get the dreaded black spot. You can save that old kerosene for flat wick lamps or center draft open flame lamps, but you have to get it out of one lamp and into another. This is usually a huge mess.

That was what inspired me to get a Du-Bro RC fuel pump. At one ounce per three revolutions it isn't going to do a NASCAR refuel, but it'll transfer fuel from one lamp to another or to/from a storage container with no spills and no drama. If you pump in too much, just reverse the direction you crank the pump and remove enough to get it to the correct level. Remember to always filter your bulk kerosene and let it and the lamp warm to room temperature before refueling.

This pump and hoses have hung in the barn through freezing cold and broiling heat. It works just as well today as it did when I purchased it more than 15 years ago. The pump will allow fuel to siphon through it. I left the pick-up end in the bulk container and let the nozzle end get below the level of the container the first day I used it. It had siphoned about a gallon of kerosene onto the kitchen floor before I noticed. So, lesson learned, it will siphon fuel slowly if you're too lazy to pump. Just remember that and keep the nozzle above the pick-up. I've also learned to leave the bulk fuel containers in the barn and pump only what I need through a filter funnel into a smaller transfer container. The smaller container is easier to handle and warms up quicker.

Made right here in the U.S.A. One tough little pump for kerosene lamp and lantern owners.
    Du-Bro Kwik Fill Fuel Pump (Gas and Glo)

Alf60, Ganado, NVBeav and 4 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7