Electric Bill savings

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by stg58, Dec 6, 2016.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Lately I have been on a campaign to cut our electric bill.
    Our bill was $140 to as high as $170 with AC running or dehumidifier.
    I have a small refrigerator in one of the out buildings that was used for "beverages" plus 4 computers and various "wall wart" power supplies.

Stopping use of the small refrig and using using natural cooling for beverages shutting down computers when not in use and a survey of vampire power packs showed some not used or minimally used were shut down or put on switches also a move to LED lighting plus shutting off things had just been on and turning them on when needed.

The result the October bill was $104 and November with the wood burner blower going was $115[smsh]

Under $99 is the new goal.

Yard Dart, Sgt Nambu, GOG and 2 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

Try the Monster Brand Power Strips for energy savings when demand is low, they have a sleep mode that really saves! I wonder if you could put a secondary fridge on one of these? Might need to investigate further!

stg58, Sgt Nambu and Seepalaces like this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

That's good news, stg58! Nearly a 40% reduction in the bill.

You've also given me another project...put wood stove blower onto solar ;)

stg58, Sgt Nambu and Seepalaces like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

KILL-A-WATT & measure
    Then put up a real post of info .
    Built in door bells use 140 W per / Built in vac's use 230w / month

Measure & know for 20 bucks at HF:
    Your turn

Gafarmboy, stg58, 3cyl and 2 others like this.
  5. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+ Site Supporter+

I'd love to see that.

6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+ Site Supporter+++

Go out to the disconnect box, flip the breaker off, remove the breaker and hide it. Then listen to everyone moan because their gadgets don't work and be sure to remind them that if they kill you, they will never find the disconnect box breaker. Takes the electric bill to the base $31 monthly fee just for having the electric companies meters on your property.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

We did that, though not intentionally. Our electric forced air furnace quit working, so it's mainly the woodstove. We have electric heaters, but don't use them all the time. There's just a small one we use in the bathroom since the door is always closed because of the cats and it doesn't stay on all the time. Our November bill when the furnace is working would be around $200, this year it was less than $100. So I wake up EARLY because it's cold in the house, let the dog out, turn the bathroom heater on until it's warm in there, start a fire, and heat up water on the electric stove for cocoa/tea.

stg58 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+

Put a high efficiency mini split heat pump in the parts of the house used the most so you don't have to run the central air, if you have central air.

Also install ceiling fans if you don't have them.

I am going to use high efficiency 240v inverter splits and maybe 1 window unit for my decentralized air conditioning.
    The idea is to use efficient air conditioners to cool only the part of the house we are actually occuping.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Living alone my electric bill is only $25.-$45. . on especially hot days using the swamp cooler it might go up to $50.
    Wind mills and solar help a lot.

Gafarmboy and stg58 like this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Our bill WAS 150 / month , now is 10 -15 summer & 25-30 winter .
    Solar helped & mini-split for AC (never heat ) wood stove with caframo fans thermocouples
    Outside drying Hills (auzi) drying pole ,Best ever .

LED TV , Solar hot water collector ( summer )
    Our kid has four legs, were way ahead of them with the Kids.
    LED lights all over & all florescent updated to the real LED tubes

Ura-Ki and stg58 like this.
  11. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Correction.

The bill is the energy bill including natural gas.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  12. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Heck, that's even better than originally thought...but any improvement frees up resources for other items.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  13. Meat

Meat Monkey+

I hang up my work clothes instead of using the dryer. In the spring and summer everything dries outside. This might make a small dent in the electricity bill but it's wasted somewhere else I'm sure. [afro]

Ura-Ki likes this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+

Each electric dryer run uses anywhere from 6 to 10 kwh.
    Each kwh costs between 8 and 12 cents.

Ura-Ki and Meat like this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

One of the things that will help is removing constant draws no one much pays attention to, like things that are remote controlled .
    It's still on.

16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If it's plugged in, it's drawing some power. Cut off switches and timers work great. Reduce those dead loads!
    Also, if your power provider offers budget planning, I suggest getting involved. What happens is they average your bill and you end up paying less. You can also get into incentive programs if they offer them by getting new water heaters and lighting. My local provider will even pick up the old water heater for free.

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+

I switched back to my 240v German microwave.
    No clock, no buttons just a timer.
    Doesn't draw power as long as it's off and the door is closed.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7