email service provider/client

Discussion in 'Technical' started by OldDude49, Feb 9, 2022.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

having nothing but trouble with emails lately...anyone got info on things like proton or others etc???

and no I don't want gmail... or any other google crap etc...

want something not so easily tracked...

2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Have an account with Proton and they have been pretty good for the last couple years.
    Also use CTemplar who keeps all mail encrypted until you open it, then it is encrypted again when you log off.
    They do warn you that if you forget your password they can not help get it back and all the encrypted mail will be lost. They are located in Iceland with much better privacy laws than here.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

"Free" email accounts aren't really free, you pay for them with your privacy.
    Use this instead: StartMail - Private email you can trust
    $30 for the first year and free 7 day trial. Also, use your own domain for $35 per year. These prices are half the normal price, which is still a good deal to maintain your data privacy.

4. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

good info tryin out vivaldi at the moment but may jump to those thanks!!!

5. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

6. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

wow! starting to look like for some folks... seeing many complaining about same thing...

getting this error message...

error: login for outgoing server failed. server responds with: invalid greeting : this system is configured to reject mail from 47.224.226.9

then oddly enough it allows it later???

so perhaps a microsoft windows issue and NOT thunderbird or vivaldi???

doing some more looking...

7. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

well just got an update from MS... will see how things go now...

8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Update from Microsoft?
    Gulp!

Brokor likes this.
  9. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

yep and it did not fix the email problem... have used 2 different email clients and both do NOT work part of the time...

pretty sure the email problem is MS windows but???

10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I use Yahoo for the emails I don't care if the entire world see's. I use a TOR hidden email acct for things I don't want the world to see. Risk of using TOR EMAIL is the Feds like to raid the services and shut them down.

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The really cool thing about Startmail is I can create as many alias email accounts as I want and set them to expire whenever I want, or never expire at all. This allows me to manage spam without having to do anything, and also keeps my main email account secure. You can have simple addresses, too. One of mine is just 3 digits.
    Send/receive securely encrypted emails, create pgp keys, attach signature, etc. All the bells and whistles. Easy IMAP setup, the whole shebang.

The best thing is, YOU aren't spied on, and YOU aren't the product being sold. :cool:

Homer Simpson and CraftyMofo like this.
  12. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

lookin at proton and startmail right now... but startmail is a bit more expensive even with the starting discount it will later go up???

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7