EMPStorm- trademark

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@snake6264 posted the link for this product in the shoutbox. Reads like one of those funding products like the Flow Hive. But then I questioned would this even work with an EMP. Calling all experts. I can see surge protection working but EMP? If a EMP hits, is it really going to matter if your big screen still works? I can see trying to protect solar equipment but would it really work?
    From the site:
    Interesting site: https://disasterpreparer.com/?product=empstorm
    PS- I could not locate the FAQ tab.

UncleMorgan, Seepalaces and snake6264 like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That's a question I had as well MM. If an EMP hit , why would you need to save your cell phone. Are HAM radio's still going to work in a grid down event ? I know guys now that say at times they can't talk more than a few miles in bad cloud cover weather. I'm sure this will draw a few conclusions ,

3. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Reading that blurb sorta tells me it is not going to emp proof anything. Plain and simple, it's a surge protector that MAY be tuned, somehow, for the pulses from CMEs and EMPs. The key hint is in the verbiage addressing surges conducted into the system from existing wiring. MAYBE the widget will do some good under some circumstances. That said, if you have power, your radios will work fine. I did find the FAQs page, not impressed, here's what it said about "what's inside" --
    Surge Protection Devices are designed using passive filters and current steering devices. Nearly all commercial designs rely solely on inexpensive metal-oxide varistors (MOVs). The EMPStorm™ will contain multiple protection devices, which may include MOVs, transient voltage suppression diodes, thyristors, polyfuses, thermal cutoffs, and gas discharge tubes. With the expert use of multiple devices, the effects of both the EMP and solar storm can be suppressed.
    Emphasis mine. Note. this widget is NOT in production, he's looking to finance the manufacture on "your" money. Drop the chalupa, sweety, it's poison.

4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

My own take on this, and there are people here that are certainly wiser than me, is it would work to protect a surge coming through the power lines, even a surge caused by an EMP; however, I cannot see how it can protect your electronics from the EMP wave - it can't - and that is the true problem when face with an EMP or a solar event.

Basically, an EMP will cause an electromagnetic field to be generated within your electronics which in turn will cause a extremely high current of a duration matching the pulse. How long a duration and how strong a current will depend on the EMP pulse itself.

This thing is probably a very good surge protector but I cannot see how it can protect one's electronics from an EMP. This is simply sales talk/hype...they are not exactly lying but they are also not telling the entire truth.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

SnakeOil.... Since there has been NO EMP or CME in the last 40 years, that have been Documented to have damaged HouseHold Grid Connected items, there is NO Imperial Evidence that such a Device would work in the first Place, or that it wouldn't just "Go up in Smoke" anyway... People get all wound up using "Buzz Words" that they do NOT have an Practical Understanding of, and then speculate BS, that typically have NO Basis in Physics... Two way Radios, may or may NOT work, after such an event, due to the WIDE Variety of possible senerios, on how such an event would effect the Ionosphere locally, regionally, nationally, or Internationally... How do you quantify this when there is little Imperial Data to support much of a conclusion for EMP, and only some Imperial Data about how a CMP might effect the Ionosphere, and for how long.... The higher the Frequency the better Comms actions will be in the Near Field, and Ground Wave... after that, it is all ones best Guest, at best, and more likely a WAG, (Wild Assed Guess_ at worst...

6. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

This was the original email source

Enable Pictures for Better Viewing
    [​IMG]
    Hi John,

I've been busy working on the EMPStorm prototype, and I wanted to give everyone a quick update. A detailed video update will be coming once I have a prototype in hand -- probably a few weeks.

The big news is that I managed to shrink the design to fit into a smaller enclosure. The one seen in my last video was a bit large, and I paid an expert designer to optimize the circuit board layout. Check out the top layer of the circuit board design below. The board is designed with very thick traces and heavy 2-ounce copper. There was a lot of careful planning in this design!
    [​IMG]
    The circuit will be housed in a high-quality polycarbonate enclosure that measures 8.75" x 5.25" x 3.30". That's about as small as possible, given the number of parts in the design. Unless things change, the final product will look like the figure below.
    [​IMG]
    The cover will have windows to show ten LEDs. Green means everything is working as designed, and red means something has failed. Here's a closeup.
    [​IMG]
    Connecting to Home/Business
    I also put together a diagram showing how the EMPStorm will connect to a home's or business's breaker panel. Of course, I'll provide more detailed instructions when the units finally ship.
    [​IMG]
    A Word about Cost
    As I mentioned in my most recent video, the components and assembly costs are a bit higher than expected. For now, I'm keeping the pre-order price at $300, but I may have to raise the price in the future.

Despite the cost creep, I'm very pleased with how things are coming along. Thanks to everyone for your encouragement! If you have feedback about the design, please feel free to send it to me. We're all part of this development!

More information and pre-ordering is available at http://empstorm.com.
    Best wishes,
    Arthur Bradley, Ph.D.
    Disasterpreparer L.L.C.

7. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

I just found it to be an interesting idea

Motomom34, Bandit99 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Me to.
    OTOH.

If it's so good why only 500?

Wildbilly, UncleMorgan and Motomom34 like this.
  9. First thing that comes to mind, this device is physically not very large. Components are small, It has no heat sinks, leads are light gauge wire. Might work for small surges. Lightning not likely, EMP, no way. How many times is he going to sell his run of 500? If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Think Ponzi, or Tucker or Madoff.

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Look at the ENERGY (Joules) that this device is supposed to absorb, or shunt into the Ground, as opposed to the number of Joules that a typical Lightning Strike near by can dump into a Home System... Then determine is this Yahoo is full of SnakeOil, or FACTs.... My calculations and Observations indicate SnakeOil/ BS....

11. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Zimmy, UncleMorgan and Motomom34 like this.
  12. duane

duane Monkey+++

I know nothing about EMP for sure but in the USAF back in the 1950's we used a ring duplexer, to transmit up to a about 5 megawatt pulse out of an antenna, a few microseconds wide, and then receive a echo back over the same antenna with a signal in the fractions of an milliamp by a very sensitive receiver. I can't help but think that a lot of the problems found in EMP must have been at least studied in high powered microsecond length pulses and very sensitive receivers and added that the interval between switching the two functions has to be very short as to allow detection of near by objects. Been 60 years but I seem to remember 1 microsecond was about 1,000 feet and the guns were sighted in at about 300 feet, so if it changed from transmit to receive in 1 microsecond, the gun sight wouldn't work. Not as much problem on search radios and we never got into doppler and most at that time were pulse doppler.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  13. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

AND "since I'm only gonna make 500 of them", if you ever do have a problem, good luck to ya.....I got your money and I'm outa here :D

14. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

So, while I'm also not an EE, I know where the nearest Holiday Inn Express is...as such I have a few observations:
    • Note that this is a "Type-2" surge suppressor. While they can be Whole House, they are large for a reason and usually have larger gauge wire than this appears to have. If you are bleeding off extra voltage for the entire house, and tying into the MAIN, you should likely have wire of a gauge closer to that of the main (no, you don't have to match the bus bar). Personally I wouldn't put this on the whole house, I would only put it on a single circuit.
    • A Type-1 (whole house) or a Type-3/4 (plug into the wall/single circuit) surge suppressor is in-line and ideally what you need as it doesn't bleed anything off "from the side" but actually stands between the surge and the equipment (or the house). This device may take some of the hit, but it doesn't stand between the surge and the end devices.
    • The only thing "EMP" or CME related that this device could "catch" would be the surge coming down the main line. Anything after it, of which there is a LOT, would be unprotected and all the wiring in your home would act as an antenna and would fry anything on any circuit after the suppressor.
    Don't get me wrong, protecting a single circuit from a surge at the entry point works, and many, many air conditioners have been saved by this type of device (Type-2), but frankly, a true Type-1 suppressor isn't much more expensive...it's the installation cost that keeps people from doing it since it has to be in-line and is much more involved and has to be done by a licensed electrician.

UncleMorgan and Motomom34 like this.
  15. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

But but but, you can be the first on your block to have one of the first 500 built, for a mere $300.00. My experience with EMP is that these will not protect your whole house, MOV's will protect equipment... once, which is why there are 3 for each leg in that one he examines as a well built unit.

YMMG
    Rancher

16. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

He does write a good book IMO.

HK_User and UncleMorgan like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Agreed.
    The only chance your devices have to survive is unplug them. Then the only chance they have plugged in is you have multiple layers of surge protection.
    MOVs surge protectors every electrical panel and installed in most devices.

18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

It does seem to promise a bit much...and I can't see it providing three times the protection that an Eaton class 2 does.

As has been previously mentioned, multiple layers of protection and disconnecting from the mains are going to be the most effective preventative measure...JMHO ;)

...and I keep a box of MOVs handy, just in case.

19. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

"Initial production" will be 500 units.

That's how an under-capitalized entrepreneur tells people he needs 500 prepaid orders to start up the assembly line.

No surge protector will protect delicate electronics from an EMP. They have to be in a Faraday cage. Even if they're just sitting out on a table, unplugged, when the EMP hits, current induced within the chips on the circuit board will fry them.

Think of the on/off switch as a poor man's surge protector. It won't help, either.

Notice that this is an entirely untested and unproven device. You can't just buy a box of Instant EMPs down at Radio Shack and run a few through it. Even the inventor doesn't know if it will work.

You can just bet that when the nuclear war starts, and the first thirty EMPs go off overhead, the guy that's selling these will refuse to refund your money.

Like many small children, I like electronic toys that light up. That's why I have so many flashlights. All of them work when I put the batteries in, and none of them cost $300.00.

Well, folks! It's time to vote!

Annnnnnddd...

Both of my alternate personalities say: "Thumbs Down!"

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    HK_User likes this.
  20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

That's what I was thinking! This guy has a terrible business plan.

HK_User likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7