expiration dates

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by crowdaddy, Jul 25, 2021.

1. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Monkey++

So a week ago last Friday, I had a stupid accident in my shop that left me with a punctured artery in my right hand. To make a really long story short, after super glue, and some quick clot(ish) powder; neither of which worked, nor did direct pressure, my son got it under control with one of those elastic tourniquets. Twelve ours and two hospitals later I was back home with a stitched up wrist (all better). I now have 3 new Israeli battle dressings, 2 CAT tourniquets and some other goodies.

My question is about Celox hemostatic agents. How critical is the expiration dates on these products? I have no experience with them and I will be getting some for my "new" FAK and Blow Out kit.

There's nothing like a little accident to motivate somebody. I will just leave you with this: there was enough blood in the bathroom for 2 bathrooms...
    ;

DuxDawg, Dunerunner, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Each package has a date, if you use one out of date then you are betting your life on the out come.

DKR, Dunerunner, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  3. Good point. But if you have a real emergency, and do not use the things available, you might be guaranteeing a bad outcome.

john316, SB21, crowdaddy and 2 others like this.
  4. One way to look at it is. If you are drowning. Would you use an old life jacket. Or wait till you can get a new one?

john316, DuxDawg, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Stock rotation is important. Maybe use the out of date stuff 1st ,, if it dont work,, grab a new one. Your lesson learned,, is a lesson for us all .
    Glad your ok.

6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Stock rotation is important, but whether or not to use a product beyond its recommended use by or best before date is a judgement call taking in the particular circumstances and factoring in risks vs benefits.

Medical first aid products beyond their use by date for humans could be used for training purposes, as first aid supplies for pets / farm animals, or bartered....caveat emptor.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    oldawg, crowdaddy, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Product dates can be factored in the temperatures things are kept in.
    Most things can survive well past the established date if stored in a cool dry place preferably an air-tight environment.
    I have had meds stored in my refrigerator for years, even though they may go out of date eventually, if push comes to shove and there is no other choice it is a thin stretch of hope but if it's all you got it's better than no hope at all when there are no alternatives.
    It might be advisable to get a good first aid class to get brushed up on procedures for these events, in the event there is no hospital to run to.

crowdaddy, SB21, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

john316, crowdaddy, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  9. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

10. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Monkey++

One of the reasons I questioned the viability of "out of date" Celox is that while looking a said products on line, Amazon specifically,
    I noticed that some products for sale had expiration dates of 13 months or less. I am assuming this is older manufactured batches, thus the short ex. date. They appear to be being sold by third parties repackaging from bulk buys.

11. pfreed

pfreed Monkey

quikclot's got a 5 year shelf life, supposedly. In my experience, direct pressure --> tourniquet. Especially for spurting arterial type bleeding. glad you're okay!

12. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Government mandates the expiration date, like bottled water "expires" at some point. But does it really?
    Using medical supplies (medicine, clotting agents, etc.) may work after the expiration date but they may lack potency. Old pain meds may still work, but you need to up the dose.
    We tend to do an annual review or our supplies keep anything with an expiration date within the past 6 months, over 6 months old an it goes to one of the medical drop off locations. And, as it was mentioned storage is a key component. Cool, dry location is the key.
    I noticed when going through my first aid kit in my truck looking for a band aid once that none of them were sticking like they should. Figured the heat in the truck killed the glue on the band aids, tossed all that I had in there and put new ones in, and a bit fewer of them.
    I don't mind tossing a few bucks worth of med supplies annually if it means saving my life or a member of my family down the road. Where I live you are lucky if you get an ambulance within 30min, if it's a true emergency they call life flight cause the nearest ER/Hospital is 40 min away.
    @crowdaddy glad you are OK, sounds like no one panicked and all was handled. I think the fear/panicking is what kills most when there is a traumatic situation.

13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

In every, if not all situations confidence over panic is the most important prep.
    When a person expresses panic it triggers panic in others that are untrained and teach them panic is an acceptable action.
    Be it an injury, a snake bite, or a fire, or someone lost, panic raises anxiety and adrenalin, and the heart rate, none of which tend to be a good outcome.
    Keeping one's head cool in a moment of crisis provided clearer thought and response to an emergency.
    Even the illusion of confidence can be a big help in a situation say dealing with someone having an epileptic seizure. you may not know what to do specifically but you don't want them to hurt them selves so you intervene on that premise.
    Public schools miss the mark, not teaching first aid and CPR and advanced classes just for the fact it is a matter of home safety not necessarily preparing for a profession. Even with the evolution of information of how to deal with injuries done in the old days it worked and having the confidence to act will more likely save the life than ignorance altogether.
    As for meds, unfortunately, age and heat reduce their effectiveness, however knowing some alternative medicines and antibacterial tools can be a game-changer, that you can produce yourself. an herb garden is not rocket science and learning cant hurt you.
    I make colloidal silver ( an antibacterial) and have taught friends and loved ones the skill. the stuff doesn't age or need refrigeration.
    and to my knowledge, no bacteria can stand up against it. No matter the injury I use it on everything even sunburns and botulism.
    I think that taking it when I discovered having Covid19 reduced the severity of the symptoms of my event.

14. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Monkey++

Looking back on the event, There was no pain at all, except for when I actually jabbed the back end of an unfinished knife blade into my wrist. I knew immediately it was not good. Grabbed a full bottle of super glue, my usual go to first aid item and went into the house. Hollered to my son who was getting ready to go to work that I needed his help in the bathroom right now. He saw what was going on and said spurting, bright red, arterial blood; you got to go to the Hospital now. Super glue didn't even phase it. Some blood stop powder worked all of 10 seconds. Direct pressure was also not slowing it down. At this point I was still saying it's OK we just need to stop the blood flow. I never panicked cause I was in denial of the severity of the injury! Jake ran out and came back in with one of those elastic bands that they use on your arm when they take blood. Wrapped it around my wrist as tight as he could and tied it off. Blood flow slowed down but did not stop. At that point I said ok, maybe I should go to the ER. Jake re-bandaged my wrist and put my hand in a Large zip lock bag. So into the car and off to the first of two hospital for the beginning of my 12 hr. journey. It's not that I was all that 'brave or in control of my fear, I just didn't think it was all of that big of deal! I now of course realize it was a big deal and I was not going to be able to deal with it successful. In otherwords, I was too stupid for my own good! I will be the first one to admit that I can be very stubborn about a lot of things, but lesson learned. A big thanks to my son who saw from the beginning what had to be done and acted on that with clarity and speed.

Gator 45/70, DuxDawg, HK_User and 2 others like this.
  15. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Monkey++

A side note to this on going saga. So just for kicks, I went through my main first aid bag that I keep handy for around the house and to travel with us. Looked at 4 packs of a hemostat powder I had in there. All 4 expired in November of 2018. But the funny thing was I just bought these last fall 2020! Got them in a Walmart in town. I was not aware that they had an expiration date until after my accident. Obviously they were already expired when I bought them. This is the same powder that I used on my wrist. Truthfully, I am not sure it would have worked if it was still in date. Live and learn. I will be replacing them in a couple of days with some Celox.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I would return them to WallyWorld, and if they didn’t replace them, then I would call the LOCAL TV Station and get them to do a story about how WallyWorld was selling OutDated Medical Stuff…

Gator 45/70, crowdaddy and HK_User like this.
  17. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I'm gonna take a WAG in that you did not have the Mil type with the cloth pad or gauze!
    If what you had was just the powder then it is for surface wounds. Good also for livestock in hoof trimming or maybe thorn puncture.

Best to have the quick clot and a roll of gauze or better yet a triangle bandage so you can put some pressure on it.

Deep puncture wounds are the killers.

crowdaddy and chelloveck like this.
  18. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

You are one lucky guy, Crowdaddy! Having your son available made this a learning experience, not a fatal event.

I have tourniquets in my range bag, and at the home and cabin first aid kits. Probably will add them to all vehicle first aid kits too. They don't expire and certainly, if you buy the right ones, you can use them one handed.

Just as important, as you found out, checking dates and rotating stock is important. However, I'd say your best investment is in your son and yourself. Take a couple of first aid courses together if you haven't already.

crowdaddy and HK_User like this.
  19. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Monkey++

Navyair, you are right on all points. Yes, I am very lucky and thankful that Jake was home and on top of it. We have joked about it a couple of times but I told him the other night that I was proud of the way he handled himself, and I thanked him for possibly saving my life.

I now have 3 CAT tourniquets in the house. Gave one to my son for his kit. One in the general FAK, and one in a blow out kit I just put together. At the moment, I feel like I am a little gun shy to go anywhere with out one...;)

HK_User likes this.
  20. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Monkey++

HK_User likes this.
  1. Benjamin A. Wood
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. john316
  4. hot diggity
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. arleigh
  7. DKR
  8. 3M-TA3