Extrema Ratio Knives 125 Part Serrated Col Moschin Fixed Blade Knife with Black Forprene Handles.

Discussion in 'Blades' started by HK_User, Apr 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

The Col Moschin Fixed Blade Knife is very simply a knife designed for a specific purpose.
    That purpose can be adjusted to your needs as the sheath (not shown for now) is adaptable to more than one type of carry. The designers intent (according to the Co. EXTRAMA RATIO) was a commemoration of an event in WW1.

The sheath is a full cover triple secured assembly of a few parts. I'll cover that later with pictures of my own since what I found on line leaves out some information. For now just consider it one of the best sheathes you could jump with out of an airplane.

The best part of the sheath for a knife carry with a blade of less than 6 inches is that you can remove two layers of the retention system and you will have one of the most secure single point systems which is noiseless.

The MSLP is high and you can purchase it for about 60% as the OTC price.

As delivered to the Mil this is sharpened on both sides.
    As delivered to web buyers only one side is sharp.
    As to an equal comparison in the civilian market, it pretty much matches a RANDALL # 5 in 6", but it is more robust and has a better grade of steel at a lower price.
    [​IMG]

Randall #5
    This is is a straight-bladed knife preferred by many for all-around camp and trail use. Also ideal for yachtsmen and sailors for general boating purposes. Among users of this model is Bradford Angier, famed wilderness expert and author, whose special adaptation is the nickel silver hilt, black Micarta handle, wrist thong and compass. The late Ross Allen, internationally known authority on reptiles, also carried a Model 5. Top of blade in front of hilt is notched for thumb placement.
    [​IMG]

YMMV and I like Randalls, dated they may be but still a worthy knife for any Warrior or Camper.

More later.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Hanzo, Gator 45/70, Dont and 4 others like this.
  2. HK_User

The weather is not in the mood and uncooperative for now for a picture layout.
    So general information on pricing and other products follow.

Number 1, watch out for copies, China is in full production on this line and many vendors are doing the copy sales routine.
    MLP are extreme so I'll provide the seller I have learned to trust.
    http://xtremeknives.com/ is a listed seller by EXTREMA, if in stock they will fill your order quickly and provide tracking.
    Extrema Ratio Home Page | Extrema Ratio Knives Division is the store site of the Italian Manufacture.

COL MOSCHIN BLACK
    COL MOSCHIN BLACK
    Made to order for the renowned 9th Parachute Assault Regiment “Col Moschin” of the Italian special forces, which officially adopted it in 2002, this is a quintessential combat knife. It represents a contemporary reworking of daggers issued to the Arditi – the historical force in whose footsteps the 9th walks – which sported asymmetrical blades and straight but direction-sensitive hilts. Designed to be light and handy, balanced decidedly toward the hilt, with a highly perforating blade-tip. Each new “Incursore” (assault paratrooper) is issued one of these combat knives and trained to use it to its best. Available versions: COL MOSCHIN BLACK, COL MOSCHIN DESERT WARFARE, COL MOSCHIN COLLECTOR EDITION.
    TECHNICAL SHEET
    Weight g.:
    Weight oz.:

Blade Length (mm):
    Blade Length (in):
    Total Length (mm):
    Total Length (in):
    Blade Thickness (mm):
    Blade Thickness (in):
    Blade Material:
    BöHLER N690 STEEL (58HRC)
    Blade Finishing:
    MIL-C-13924 BURNISHING

Main Grind:
    RAZOR
    Serration (in):
    Serration (mm):
    Handle Material:
    FORPRENE
    Above gives the specs and I note the steel is one of the best for a knife in this category.
    BöHLER N690 STEEL (58HRC)
    Cruise the sites provided and I'll be back when the Pictures are on line.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  3. HK_User

So here you have the pictures of one of the best sheath systems that I have ever seen and one of the reasons I believe this to be a good value. Seldom have I seen a system so well designed implemented.

Your comments are welcome and I have no financial interest in either the Mfg. or the seller I listed.

Knife in Sheath as delivered.

Showing the leg strap and the first retention device and the release device.
    This is a well designed sheath and if purchased as a custom you'd likely be out $200. The material is top notch and the fit and function just add to the Knife.

DSCF2755.JPG

Knife in Sheath with first retention cover open.
    This is the typical single hand release as seen on many high quality back packs. Single hand release is the key to each release mechanism in this sheath.
    DSCF2756.JPG

Knife in Sheath with second retention device shown, handle is securely held in place.
    The system uses two quality snaps and Mil grade Velcro to hold the handle in place and yet the strap is removable to allow a compact singe retention clip to hold the knife in the sheath.
    DSCF2757.JPG

Knife in Sheath with open handle strap and locked in place with primary device, clip lock not shown.
    The clip lock is on the inside of the knife guide and allows a single handed removal of the knife and also provides a simple locator point for the index finger to guide the knife into the liner without the need to see the insertion point.

DSCF2758.JPG

Knife in Sheath with Knife in place in sheath liner with primary device and clip lock shown.
    Here you can see the inner and outer guide points of the sheath liner with the snap lock point. The index finger need only touch the outer curve of the sheath liner to insure the location of the knife position and then a gentle release on the handle and the blade falls
    safely into the inner sheath liner and a slight push locks the knife in place.

DSCF2759.JPG

Knife in Sheath with Knife locked in place with the primary locking clip. DSCF2760.JPG

Knife in Sheath with second retention device removed and laying beside sheath.
    DSCF2761.JPG

Knife in Sheath with second retention device removed and laying beside sheath. Primary retention device clearly seen. DSCF2762.JPG

Knife in Sheath with primary device locked in place. DSCF2763.JPG

Knife, knife sheath and secondary strap. DSCF2764.JPG

Knife, knife sheath and leg tie down strap. DSCF2765.JPG

Sheath back showing Molle strap snap and leg strap attachment points. DSCF2766.JPG

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  4. HK_User

BöHLER N690 STEEL (58HRC) is a unique blade material and best described as a modern man made WOOTZ steel.

Wootz steel is a steel characterized by a pattern of bands or sheets of micro carbides within a tempered martensite or pearlite matrix. It is the pioneering steel alloy matrix developed in South India in the sixth century BC and exported globally. It was also known in the ancient world as Seric Iron.

It may also be a steel that originated in space and had a micro amounts carbides evenly spaced and the impact on earth would also caused a shock in the steel that man is only now coming close to replicating.

BöHLER N690 STEEL (N690 Steel Properties | KnifeUp)
    N690 Steel Properties
    The N690 Cobalt Stainless Steel is made in Austria by a company known for making steel that can be made into sharp knives and surgical instruments. This steel is very similar to 440C steel, and it has 1.07% carbon content. N440C steel has a carbon content ranging from .95 – 1.07 percent. The N690 is a high end stainless steel with an alloy that is common in many good knives. It is a durable knife steel that is wear resistant. It is also very hard steel.

This steel contains the important martensitic chromium steel with cobalt, molybdenum and vanadium. This steel can be hardened to a very desirable hardness levels. The surface finish is fine ground or polished.

How N690 Compares
    N690 is sometimes compared to 440C steel. Many knife makers do not believe that 440C is a the best steel for comparison to the N690. The 440C steel is a high-chromium stainless steel. Knives made of 440C steel are easy to resharpen, and it is an excellent steel for its price and performance.

The N690 is a good steel and it is very similar to the VG10 from. One prominent knife maker gave the steel a variety of knife makers’ tests. The results were good. They now have access to large sheets. Knife makers consider the VG10 from Japan to be a better steel for comparison than the 440C. Its overall performance and ability to hold an edge is superior.
    Manufacturing N690 Steel
    The N690 grade of steel is produced by a small Austrian steel plant that also provides steel for surgical instruments. The Austrian Bohler Company says that the N690 can be made into hardened cutting tools with excellent edge-holding property, such as knife blades.
    Conclusion
    The N690 steel is so good for making knifes that one prominent knife manufacturer use only N690 steel. This steel has the right carbon content and the right cobalt content. An Austrian steel manufacturer, who is the current source for N690, is considered to be a worldwide leader in their production of N690 steel. Their steel composition is as follows: carbon 1.07%, chromium 17%, cobalt 1.5%, manganese .40%, molybdenum 1.10%, silicon .40% and vanadium .10%. The key to the hardness of N690 is the addition of cobalt in the steel matrix. The cobalt creates uniformity in the structure within the steel. The value of cobalt in a knife blade is it produces a fine edge with excellent edge retention."

N690 steel is used in most of the Extrema Ratio series and I was surprised to feel a no snag glide feel when I checked the blade. The blade, if you are careful, has a smooth feeling to the cutting edge and just a small amount of pressure would find a very fine cut across the finger prints but no blood yet.
    Buyer be ware this is an unusual knife material and the combination of the knife steel and the sheath adds up to a quality product.
    When has a truly multi functional knife sheath been presented on modern knives.

The Handle design and material is a bit different and the handle is of an injection molded product that grips well and can be removed with a tool which allows complete cleaning of the knife.

The shape of the handle is non conventional but of a style that works well for me.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

How does the handle feel when you use it? I could be wrong, but it looks like it would case hotspots in your hand.

6. HK_User

The material of the handle is not soft to the touch,yet it has a little give.
    China knives have a softer handle material and can be checked for authenticity of Mfg. by the imprint left when your finger nail leaves a small dent in the material. Of course you just gotta have that machinist touch to do such a test! YMMV.

If I had a durometer tester I could provide exact readings of the Handle Plastic, Except for the part were I sent the China copy back.

The knife design is expected to be used by the rough and tumble crowd of professional warriors. As such I expect a lot of time was spent testing of the handle design and for my purpose of a 6 inch knife I found it able to do what was needed around a camp. The hands are protected by the double hilt, a bit of thrust and parry on a potato found the vegetable to be the loser and my hand just fine. If you think about it the smooth transition of the index and second finger fit smoothly into the indentation of the handle and the lower outer palm of the hand has the leverage needed on the flat surface for control of the blades angel of attack.

This is not a chopper blade, but you will find others of this line to test if that is your choice.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Hanzo likes this.
  7. HK_User

Knife in the hand, better than a gun in the holster.
    The handle feels good and the edges are rounded and yet flat in the right places.

DSCF2771.JPG

Handle removed and more information is seen on the knife. DSCF2767.JPG

The tape explains the reason for more than one measurement provided. Here you can see the overall blade measurement and the blade edge measurement. Both are listed in some descriptions of this knife. DSCF2768.JPG

Reverse view. DSCF2769.JPG

Mfg number and the trademark of this knife DSCF2770.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Hanzo likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Matei
  4. Matei
  5. norseman
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: norseman, Mar 8, 2021, 3 replies, in forum: Blades
  6. Ganado