1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler: This Is How We Will Ensure Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'Technical' started by stg58, Feb 4, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

After more than a decade of debate and a record-setting proceeding that attracted nearly 4 million public comments, the time to settle the Net Neutrality question has arrived. This week, I will circulate to the members of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) proposed new rules to preserve the internet as an open platform for innovation and free expression. This proposal is rooted in long-standing regulatory principles, marketplace experience, and public input received over the last several months.

Broadband network operators have an understandable motivation to manage their network to maximize their business interests. But their actions may not always be optimal for network users. The Congress gave the FCC broad authority to update its rules to reflect changes in technology and marketplace behavior in a way that protects consumers. Over the years, the Commission has used this authority to the public’s great benefit.

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler: This Is How We Will Ensure Net Neutrality | WIRED

Another article..

Wheeler Goes Nuclear with Title II Announcement
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    Marck and Dunerunner like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

Read both articles and I guess I just don't know enough about the internet to see what is so damaging by Wheelers change in the rules. Can someone explain it in English...
  3. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

So they can call it a utility and the government can regulate it and force you to pay taxes on it to provide free internet for the "less fortunate". Hello free Obama wifi...
    oldawg likes this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

Never thought of that, but that kind of thing can be repealed. I know, wish in one hand....
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  5. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Think "I'm from the government and I'm here to help". It has never worked out well in the past and I don't see it happening with this. Just one more way to control.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

Not one for government control.. So, what if instead of speeding up every connection they baseline and slow everything to an average. That's equal. What if every "highspeed" service is required to be priced the same. Would that mean that I would pay as much for 15MB/S as I would for 50MB/S?
  8. -06

-06 Monkey+++

The only reason the gub wants in is to control, tax, and eventually stop any non supportive comments by anyone
  9. DarkLight

DarkLight I self identify as a Blackhawk Attack Helicopter! Site Supporter

Funny, that's what I was thinking when I first read the email I got today about the vote. A "neutral" Internet is still not guaranteed due to the fact that Congress can still weaken it..assuming that the vote today meant anything anyway. The guvco will eventually control the Internet (in the US), either directly or indirectly by exerting pressure on the ISPs.

10 years from now (crystal ball 3.0 SP3 is FINALLY compatible with my OS!):
    • The US will have a "great firewall" setup. This will not be a single node but rather an entire system where every browser, mail client, telnet/ssh client, chat client or other tool that connects to the Internet will be forced to go through one of the approved gateways. This will be enforced through software and before you say you would compile your own, etc...you won't KNOW about it...but it'll be there.
    • EVERY major root CA will have been compromised, most likely through the hidden courts. EVERY private key submitted to them will be in the governments hands. EVERY packet on the wire will be viewable unless you roll your own certs and given time, those will be compromised to through the software used to generate them.
    • Real-time analytics will LIGHT YOU UP and you will get a visit within, say, an hour of saying anything that the regime at the time deems inappropriate, seditious, traitorous, illegal, questionable, rude, offensive, dirty, sick, mean or otherwise not 110% in line with their beliefs or requirements.
    • ISPs will block access to portions of the Internet. No "pay to play" in this game. TOR will cease to be usable as...you guessed it, your cert will be compromised and they will know what you are trying to do. Queue the gestapo in 3...2...1.
    • You will pay out the nose for your Internet service, which will be required by the way...just like health insurance, as laws will be in place that require YOU to facilitate the monitoring that goes on around you on a daily basis. Yes, you will construct your own cage.
    The one assumption I didn't make was that we wouldn't have collapsed by then, at which point all bets are off.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

I guess that the .gov will have to collapse then..... I really don't like what your crystal ball is showing..... maybe shake that sucker like an etch a sketch ;)
    DarkLight likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary