FCC sets amateur license fee at $35

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by sdr, Jan 2, 2021.

1. sdr

sdr Monkey++

2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

So now can we expect enforcement? Licenses mailed to us again? We were the only self-policing radio service, but I reckon that now we pay for a license we should expect the same service from the FCC that all of the other services enjoy.

3. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

I did NOT know you smoked.

Idahoser, Tempstar and techsar like this.
  4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

It's all about control and censorship. Look for it is all areas of communications, tracking chips, keyword flags, cross-sectioned AI, we're screwed.

Idahoser, 3M-TA3 and techsar like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Nope

all about the $$$$

nothing more, nothing less.

Tempstar, techsar, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The 35 bux is to pay for the administrative costs of collecting the 35 bux. As long as it's adding layers of ineffective administrative overhead big gov is happy.

Idahoser, Tempstar, techsar and 2 others like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thus increasing the federal payroll, thus requiring higher taxes. Perfect progressiveness.

Tempstar, techsar and 3M-TA3 like this.
  8. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

So, just a dumb question from someone who knows nothing about ham radio in the first place.... how would they even know to come after you for not having a license in the first place? It's not like driving a car around town with no plates. I mean, couldn't you go mobile with it and bounce around same as you would using free wifi at coffee shops?

9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Squeeze everywhere you can to get more $$$.

Can't wait for the Dems and a new taxation spree..

I lied, I can wait, say, a couple of hundred years.

Idahoser and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The ham community tends to police itself fairly effectively. Those who transmit without a valid license will show up when the call sign they use (or use none) is found invalid. That WILL take time and effort by the operators once it is suspected that there's a violator out there. Guilty, and your equipment will be confiscated AND you'll get a fine of up to 10 grand on a first violation. We are pretty jealous of our rights and privileges and will do what we can to avoid losing them from miscreant behaviors.

There is a new program in place that uses licensed operators to report violations of that type (and others) to the FCC for a closer look. The program, introduced this year, is called the "Official Observer" program. I don't know all the ins and outs of it. If you DO go mobile, your car gets scoffed up just like your radio, used in the commission of a violation, or at least that's what I've been told.

FWIW, the FCC is, or says it is, underfunded to carry out the duties and responsibilities under its charter. The enforcement branch is defunct; it used to take reports from the ham community and do the investigations. I am not too sure how the Official Observers will handle the investigations, or to whom the results will be handed off. Betcha we have a couple hams that will help with this.

ditch witch likes this.
  11. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I think I know a couple of eager beavers around here willing to play the "Catch 'em if you can" game.

STANGF150 and ditch witch like this.
  12. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Not exactly...OO's have been around for at least twenty years that I am aware of.

Tempstar likes this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

A lot longer than 20 years, although, they were mostly silent and no direct tie to the FCC. before my time at the commission. I was trained to work with the OO’s when I joined the Commission, but only rarely did I ever get a case, to investigate that came from the local OO Crowd... Not in that circle these days, so have little recent information on how it works, today,

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7