filters pore size

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aardbewoner, Jul 16, 2019.

1. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

Wonder how to approximately calculate what size particles are stopped by what pore size-number of layers. Lets use a article that is the same around the world the pantyhose :) The denier is used for transparency but its a weight , denier is weight of 9000 meter yarn in gram. Must say I am a noob how that translate in pore size after its woven. And if you stretch it the go bigger. that happens if water/air speed increase but how much. As that have the risk that previous captured particles are released. Or use a more rigid weave like linen bedsheets, the problem stay how to find out the pore size.

Of course for the air I use hepa filters and 0.1 micron for water :) But want to know alternatives if teotwawki ever come.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Alternative is sand and clay base mixed with sand or make a form and use clay and bake it for a chance at small sizes as a ceramic. Boil all water in make do filters.

Or just Prep and buy spares and read the directions for ceramic filters.

3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I'd never considered what the pore size was in fabric filters. I use gradually finer filters, starting with window screen and finally large ceramic filters. (0.2 micron Berkey)

If a filter will remove all the color from coffee and koolaid, it seems to be working.

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My prep is coffee filters first , they are a cheap PRE filter, and good for more than coffee.
    Fabrics that you expect to clean between uses may not be cleaned enough and may support things that are questionable.
    Even if the fabric is a monofilament the places the fabric crosses one another can harbor debris and bacteria. It is best to have something expendable if you can that can not harbor bacteria.
    Sawyer and other filters may be capable of reducing certain strains of bacteria but they remain in the filter once it is used, unless something is used to kill or remove these bacteria from the input side. I am not 100% sure colloidal silver will penetrate filter membranes but It cannot hurt . I am not sure what chlorine would do as well .

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

arleigh likes this.
  6. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

Folks l do a important use its not only coffee :) Just for general knowledge to use as air and fluid filtering.

arleigh likes this.
  7. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Our standard whole house filters are 5 micron. We install them on pretty much every new house we plumb that is going to be on a well. We pre-filter for sand using a 100 mesh (~149 micron) spin down filter. Your typical grain of sand starts around .02mm - 5mm, making the smaller about 20 micron. 100 mesh pretty much catches the vast majority of visible sand. We consider the 5 micron to be particulate only. Pathogens (virii) can be down to the .004 - .1 micron level. Reverse Osmosis is, to my knowledge, the only suitable physical filtering of drinking water. Any lesser filtration is hit or miss, i.e. small hand filters for camping. Otherwise, remember to treat questionable water after particulate filtering. Chemical or UV are options. Be sure to do your due diligence and research!

Here's a particulate sizing chart for quick reference.
    Mesh and Micron Sizes | ISM

8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

only .1 micron or smaller filters giardia, so...

9. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I have 5k commercial size coffee filters. I filter using Cotton cloth first, coffee filter 2nd, then Berkey last. Then treat it with chlorine. I have filtered some crappy looking water and never had a problem. Rain, creek, pond, puddle.

arleigh and oldawg like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Ideally chlorine kills every thing but it does not remove any thing, and pathogens hidden in particulates may go un effected .
    So it seems that particulates need to be removed first by something that is completely expendable .
    UV light exposure works best if there are no particulates to hide inside And UV leave no trace chemicals .
    Another way to remove particles is distillation ,not just once but several times, and it will remove minerals as well .Important to note that solvents and oils need to be removed by separately capturing the first steam and dumping it usually having a lower boiling point.
    The challenge that concerns me is radiation because it is carried in clouds across country and been detected as far as the eastern seaboard during the Fukushima steam expressions in the Nuclear plant melting down. .
    What is used in capturing nuclear contamination from water ?

11. ghrit

If you remove ALL particulates, ALL radioactivity is removed.

T. Riley likes this.
  12. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Nuclear War Survival Skills, Chapter 8
    REMOVING FALLOUT PARTICLES AND DISSOLVED RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL FROM WATER

The dangers from drinking fallout contaminated water could be greatly lessened by using expedient settling and filtration methods to remove fallout particles and most of the dissolved radioactive material. Fortunately, in areas of heavy fallout, less than 2% of the radioactivity of the fallout particles contained in the water would become dissolved in water.25 If nearly all the radioactive fallout particles could be removed by filtering or settling methods, few casualties would be likely to result from drinking and cooking with most fallout- contaminated water.

° Filtering

Filtering through earth removes essentially all of the fallout particles and more of the dissolved radioactive material than does boiling-water distillation, a generally impractical purification method that does not eliminate dangerous radioactive iodine. Earth filters are also more effective in removing radioactive iodine than are ordinary ion-exchange water softeners or charcoal filters. In areas of heavy fallout, about 99% of the radioactivity in water could be removed by filtering it through ordinary earth.

arleigh likes this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I was wondering , since radiation settles in bone, why not use ground up bone introduced into water to provide something to draw he radiation in it and then filter the bone out of the water .?

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It settles in your bones thru your Blood Stream, so eating ground up bones that do not go to your marrow, doesn’t do you much good... and doesn’t make Radiation Particles jump into ground up bones as a filter....

15. ghrit

Radiation does NOT settle anywhere. Recognize the difference between radiation and radioactivity. If you will, radioactivity is the turd, and radiation is the stink. However, I take your intent even without making a critical distinction and somewhat over stating the case.

When it comes to sensitivity of various organs to radiation, you need to take into account which species of radioactivity is concentrated in the organ of concern. As a matter of interest, bone marrow gets haunted by strontium, and bone itself absorbs cesium preferentially, ignoring strontium to a large degree. Both elements are transported by blood. The damage to the organ is NOT done by the radioactive isotope, but by the emitted radiation. FWIW, bone damage from the cesium is uncritical; if there is enough cesium getting into you to damage bone by radioactivity, you are already dead. Strontium damages the blood building function of marrow.

In any case, crushed bone can be made into charcoal that will do a decent job of adsorbing (or absorbing) some types of pollutants, very much similarly to charcoal filters.

arleigh likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7