Finally Broke down and built a new Computer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thunder5Ranch, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Well my Nephew did most of the building... I just told him what I wanted since he owns a custom computer build and service shop and did it at his cost fer parts and no labor under the family discount plan :) Put it all together in a Cyberpower Tower. He put it all together with everything new except the case for $520. I could live without all the swirling lights and the glass side but he insisted

AMD 2nd gen Ryzen 5 2600 - 64GB RAM - AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB - 2TB HDD + 480GB SSD - ASUS Prime AMD Mother Board and lots of bells, whistles and light shows :)

The weak steaming pile of HP I have been using the last couple of years.
    DSC01177.JPG

The new custom build :)
    new comp.

2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

congrats but ya should have called Lucy ;) ;)

[biggrouphug] [biggrouphug]

UncleMorgan and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

What software did you load?

4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I run C64 , Win3.11 ,,XP and have had no problems . I turn off all updates , NO AV , just FIRFOX with addons

pernrtscsd symtem ;)

If they force new tech , they will drop many paying for crap !!

Sloth

UncleMorgan and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

As much as I dislike it........ I ran with win10

If not for Sam (Nephew) I would have. When I bought the junky HP (Horrible Product) He acted like I staked him through the heart. Can only imagine the pain I would have suffered had I used another custom builder :)

For the business I have 3 XP pro machines in a private network with no online access.

For online activity and purchasing I have a dedicated bank account that only has more than a couple hundred bucks in it when I deposit cash to make larger purchases. If it is compromised I don't lose much. If someone wants to steal my identity for financial gain.......... Go ahead I have a near ZERO credit score simply because I don't use credit. For almost everything that requires a log in I use 2 and 3 step verification where available usually a Pin Number, A Email addy, and a text, email or random generated code to log in. Authy is my friend :)

As far as forcing tech..... they have been doing that for a while :)

UncleMorgan and sec_monkey like this.
  6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

What amazed me was how many hardware vulnerabilities that HP had but it was a $150 walmart bargain bin clearance computer and the drivers had not been updated for 962 days when I turned it on and ran it through the driver diagnostics. LOL gives a rough idea of how long the computer sat in a warehouse.

UncleMorgan and sec_monkey like this.
  7. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Ya should upgrade the XP machines to Linux if they have high enough specs, if not it is time to upgrade em too :) :)

Lucy plus plus can help ya with that [ both the software and hardware upgrades ] (y) (y)

10 is the spawn of the [sayno] [sayno] .. .. and should be avoided at all cost .. ..

7 is going EOL soon unfortunately :( :(

UncleMorgan and 3M-TA3 like this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I installed Win10 recently and it had all the options on install to disable the garbage I didn't want. Sure, it's still the devil and complete corporate garbage, but in my opinion it's the best damn running garbage MicroSatan has ever put out. I wouldn't hesitate to install Win10, because Winblows is Winblows at the end of the day, but this Win10 runs exceptionally well.

Ganado and UncleMorgan like this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I like using Linux as my main OS and then Windows 10 (code name James Clapper - spies on you then lies about it and finally says it's for you own good) on a VM. I only run Windows when I'm using an application that only works on Windows and don't have a decent Linux alternative.

Linux = sports car
    Windows = mom van with bald tires and a plastic sheet duct taped across where one of the windows used to be.

UncleMorgan, oldawg and sec_monkey like this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Windows is famous for turning these on during updates regardless of you turning them off. Appears that James Clapper has a night job at Microsoft. Check them periodically to make sure they are still disabled.

11. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

the new one did a update last night and I noticed half or more of what I had disabled was enabled again after the update installed.

3M-TA3 and UncleMorgan like this.
  12. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I actually like my XP machines and XP in general. They are older XP gaming rigs so they have pretty high specs. They are connected to my server that also runs a XP platform. Security is a non issue as it is a closed network on the farm. Barn, Store and Warehouse/office each have one with the server and router in a closet in the office. No wireless abilities on any of them and no internet access on them so just a very secure in house LAN. Very good for playing my older RTS games and storing all the business records I am required to keep. Also keep all the equipment service manuals and diagrams on the server as well as the financial reports and stuff for the Corp and taxes. If I need to move something from that set up to online I just put it on a word doc and dump it on a thumb drive for the transfer. Can't believe there are 1TB Thumb Drives now! LOL the new Thumb drive I got has more space than any two of the XPs hard drives combined.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have W10 on one of the machines. I don't like it, even after the exercise of hacking all the invasive "permissions" to death. The biggest offense W10 commits is holding my Office files (par ex., docx stuff) hostage to a rental agreement. Open Office just got downloaded. yes, I know that using W7 Office files on both machines will be a glorious PIA, but paying that ransom just ain't in today's cards.

14. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

I have a simple solution for the glass walls & swirly lights problem: wrap it up in Xmas paper.

Of course, if you leave the paper on all year long, people will think yer a redneck.

Thunder5Ranch and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

You guys all have legitimate and sound claims as to why Win10 sucks for you, but honestly, I use it only on the PC to play games and access the limited files and programs I can't on Linux. I still despise Gimp no matter how long I use it and always default back to the PS for image editing. I also play some of the best games through Steam and they just aren't supporting Linux, nor should I have to play through some silly Win emulator and hack my way around just to relax. I use my Linux for all of my sensitive things on a separate PC, that's that. Linux will always be better for personal security, it's not a corporate driven empire out to rip your soul from your chest.

Ganado, BenP, Homer Simpson and 2 others like this.
  16. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Me either. The banks came up with a ranking system to see if people are worthy to pay them interest? No thanks, I'm not participating in that foolishness. I only do business with banks (Farm Credit Services and our local bank) that do not report to the credit scoring companies.

sec_monkey likes this.
  17. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

What does it say when I have had the same 10 strings of Christmas lights up for the last 11 years.......... and amazingly they all still work.

I have 3 banks accounts A business account that I have to have so the SNAP money can be deposited. Call me a bad man but I take SNAP because it is a way to recover some of my tax dollars paid in, even though I have to pay taxes on the dollars recovered. Second is the business checking account that I keep no more than $1000 in and use for ordering supplies, on the road break downs and tire issues. Third is a personal checking that I maintain $300 in and put more in if needed for online purchases, if it gets compromised I am out $300 at most. I am a firm believer in safes, Sealed PVC pipe and trading 70% of the worthless paper with dead presidents printed on it for things of real value. It annoys me that for large purchases that I have to deposit cash, wait up to 30 days for it to be released after the deposit to convert it into a cashiers check to make the purchase. Fortunately that pretty much only happens on Real Estate Deals and new trucks, Most everything else folks are more than happy to take dead president paper off the record :)

BenP and sec_monkey like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7