Finished Christmas Shopping Yesterday (Or Just Got Started??)

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TXKajun, Dec 2, 2017.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I've been considering retiring within the next 3-4 years and Sweetie and I have gotten on the same page as to where we want to retire to. We started looking at homes back in September, figuring we'd look for a couple of years before buying unless the absolutely perfect deal on the absolutely perfect place in the absolutely perfect neighborhood (ya think maybe I have a problem with perfection needs? Maybe! LOL). We've been looking at homes whenever we head over to that location (about 3.5 hours away from where we now live, but where we have friends, favorite restaurants and all our "real" doctors), and on Wednesday, our realtor showed us "THE PLACE". Soooooooo, long story short, we put in an offer, it got accepted and we signed the bank papers yesterday! WOOHOO!

It will be our second home for as long as it takes us to get "retired right". We close December 27th. Wowzers! Merry Christmas, Sweetie!

Yep, all Christmas shopping done now. Oh, wait, we only need a thing or a hundred before we move! LOL We've just gotten started maybe. :)

Kajun

Ganado, Itchba, Motomom34 and 14 others like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

We have to be on a similar wavelength - selling an overpriced lot that will close on or before December 28, then flying out in early January to look at some property in a much saner place - rural view property many times larger for a fraction of my profits on the old lot.

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Toledo bend is the place to be!

oldawg likes this.
  4. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Excellent. Congratulations.

5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Congratulations! I guess I am retired now but it doesn't feel like it at times as there is so much to do around the property, lots of physical labor like wood cutting and land clearing. One of my pensions will start this coming year but Social Security is still a couple years away. I think one of the mistakes we made in a purchase of a retirement home is we got one too small, 2 bedrooms, and even though it is just the wife and me, she constantly reminds me that she wants/needs a third bedroom but a place is never perfect unless you build it yourself so... So, congratulations, you made it!

6. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

West side of course.;)

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Congratulations @TXKajun & Sweetie! That is a lovely Christmas present. I am curious if you had a list of must haves and all those were filled or did you drive up and know this is our new home? I have a list of what I want for my new home but there are some things I would compromise on, others things would be a must have.

I am glad they accepted your offer. Viewed on Wed, signed on Friday? Moving fast & makes me think it was meant to be.

8. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Thanks, everyone. We're settling in with the idea that we're going to spend Christmas at our current place, then possibly New Years at our new place.

As far as our list of must haves, it was fairly short. Built after 1980, open concept, minimum of 3 BR & 2 BA, small lot, 2 car garage, updated as much as possible, good price, great neighborhood. Our "Gee it would be nice" list included alarm system, sprinklers, well insulated. Overall, it was mostly "We'll feel like we're home when we walk in the door." :)

Kajun

Ganado, Witch Doctor 01 and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Motomom34
  2. Andy the Aussie
  3. runswithdogs
  4. Meat
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Motomom34
  7. deMolay
  8. Bishop
    [img] [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Feb 7, 2019, 6 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  9. Motomom34
  10. Thunder5Ranch