Firesticks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gator 45/70, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Who has dealings with these 'Firesticks'' that can improve and or eliminate cable TV bills?

Grandpa Patch likes this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

they still use internet so if you use one just watch that you don't go over on your data usage as that adds up fast

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Had a few different versions, NOTHING works for regular "Air" broadcasting, so it doesn't help any! A normal roof mounted Antenna works well enough, but is prone to weather issues! Sadly, there is no one answer to improve reception, so were stuck with what we get or we live stream what ever we can with out subscribing/paying for regular "Air" broadcasting! Sukz, but that's the way the marble bounces!
    Were about 53 miles from the nearest Broadcast tower, and even the repeater tower is over 30 miles away, so reception can be iffy!

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

No firestik but do have a roku. Does ok, but use amazon prime (thru tv app) more than roku. Is there a specific network or show you are wanting to access ?

For regular tv, got a 16 foot long antenna 30' on a rotor with a 20db gain preamp. Still have rain fade at times, but nearly 70 channels.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well wife is looking to cut disc TV bill or Direct TV rather I was looking at possibly other options?

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Some folks like these although ya need some sort of cable/internet... uses a thing called Kodi... and can be connected wire or WiFi IIRC...

Kodi | Open Source Home Theater Software

SkyStream Streaming Media Players | Stream Movies, TV Shows & Sports

they pretty much do everything for you and keep your system updated...

very open box kinda thing... IIRC Roku is considered to be more limited... n IIRC no Kodi allowed?

with Kodi you can often find links through different providers to in theater films within a day or 2... n watch em free...

also links to unusual or rare films are included...

I have a firestick... NOTE you can put Kodi on a firestick... a 'lite' version is what most use...

BUT... there is no way to wire link mine into the net it has to be wifi type connect...

I do like how Amazon does NOT filter everything... and you can watch NRA TV if your so inclined...

as well as other more conservative progs...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Roku, a fire stick, most cable companies have a streaming option for local tv, but all streaming options use internet data. If you just want local stations you can get the 'rabbit ears' for about $30 and it's free tv. Reception is an issue depending on were you live.

If you like specific shows then Hulu might be an option. These all require 'smart tv's'. I don't think there is anyone good option for tv. It just depends on your preferences. Google had one as well and I can't remember the name of it. Go to local electronic store and the TV guys can go over all the options. I went in to Fry's Electronics when I was shopping and ended up with firestick from Amazon for $19 and I have Netflix. But I'm not a big TV watcher and I don't watch the local news channels.

YOu have to figure out what's important for you and your family and choose wisely because if you add up two or three options, like Hulu and Netflix then you are paying as much as buying cable. It's not really cheaper to stream these days if you watch alot of TV because you have to buy multiple options to get all the channels you want if you are a heavy TV watcher.

Gator 45/70 and Mountainman like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

10. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Hulu also now has a live TV option, as does SlingTV (and one other I can't recall). Like has been said, you are streaming so for live TV, if you are on a restricted data plan, an antenna really is your best bet.

I won't pass judgement, but keep in mind that streaming for free (not OTA, but actual online streaming) via Kodi is piracy. Depending on your ISP, they can and more and more they WILL clamp down on it. Someone in our neighborhood is now unable to get Internet into their house (from ANYONE) as the address/resident combination is on a black-list due to pirated streaming. Their mobile carrier has also told them that if they detect pirated streaming they will cancel his service. They are starting to take it much more seriously than they used to.

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I thought we were talking about sticks...and stuff like char cloth and kindling. [camping]

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

So did I till I read on .
    Mine was around 100 clucks when the mad rush was to upgrade (downgrade is what I saw) to this new digital hoopla , with amp on the line in Under the ant. If I google my house & the sender mountain Im 118* angle & 108 miles away .Sender ant is blured , But I have been there.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7