first city in the US to ban junk food

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OldDude49, Sep 24, 2020.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

was waiting for this to start... and NOT surprised at WHERE this is going on...

seems the progressives are getting bolder and boulder...

for our own good?

Berkeley is the first city in the US to ban junk food in checkout lanes
    Berkeley, CA, to be the first city in the nation to ban unhealthy items from checkout lanes

Berkeley is gearing up to become the first city in the nation to ban junk food from the checkout line in grocery stores.

In a unanimous vote Tuesday night, the Berkeley City Council passed the “healthy checkout” ordinance.

Come March 2021, when the measure is set to take effect, large grocery stores in the California city will be prohibited from selling food and beverages deemed unhealthy in a 3-foot radius from the checkout.

“It’s not really a ban, it’s a nudge,” co-sponsor of the ordinance Councilmember Kate Harrison told FOX Business. “What we have discovered is that this law enforces good behavioral economics and facilitates better choices.”

Berkeley is the first city in the US to ban junk food in checkout lanes

Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Oh wow, now I understand! NO More Impulse buys of Almond Joys or Paydays.
    Still to be sold just not displayed in the check out line!
    Some of the Hard charging Left Wingers talk in a pessimistic code so wrong that my gut goes flip flop in how to get my FIX of Bacon and Chocolate.

Actually Scotch and Thin Mints is pretty healthy.

Berkley who'da thunk they could be so sinister in their urge to control others!!!

Woe is me I shall despair and decline in my ability to purchase my favorite goodies at the will of TPTB.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'll give them credit for taking junk food out of the checkout lines. Not so much for the adults, but to keep the kids from interrupting the operations. All the same, it's an intrusion of sorts on freedoms which IS offensive. Answer? Leave the kids in a hot car, and let me feed myself straight sugar.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Tully Mars, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well bully for Berkley !!!
    May they break off and drift to/too China !

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    HK_User likes this.
  5. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Drift to

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

FIFY

7. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

This ordinance is simply an encroachment of tyranny. It's just the point of yet another spear.

It's not about selling (displaying) junk food, bearing in mind that junk food can whatever they deem it to be because there is no legal definition of "junk food."

Maybe junk food is candy because it's high in sugar, or maybe chips are junk food because they're high in salt. Or maybe beef jerky is junk food because it's high in meat.

I'm sure a Vegan's definition of junk food is very different from that of an Omnivore-ian. So who's definition rules?

This ordnance is actually about selling (displaying) food that is not Politically Correct.

Once they establish that power they'll be able to tell every grocer what they are not allowed to sell (display) and there will be no limit to their telling.

And that will mean they'll also be telling you what you can and cannot eat.

Michael Obama must be very proud. Food fascism isn't just for little school kids anymore.

Note also that this also a blatant violation of our Constitutional right to free speech. The courts have long held that an advertisement is not an offer to sell, but an invitation to buy.

A display is an advertisement, and part of an invitation.

An invitation is one form of Constitutionally-protected free speech.

Tully Mars, OldDude49, madmax and 3 others like this.
  8. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Nudge deez nuts!

Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Joe would be so proud...

10. DKR

Just the first step to

Smoker? Sorry Citizen, no health care for you

Fat? Sorry Citizen, no health care for you.

which leads to

OMG, you made it to 90? Absolutely no health care for you.

And you won't have a choice as by then the State will have complete control of the remainder of the "Health Care System".

Control of health care = absolute control of an aging population...

Brave New World indeed.

11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

IMO their end game is controlling what each individual can and can't buy. Tyranny is all about some people being more equal than others.

I see having to show who you are one way or another. With your identity established then "illegal" items for you won't scan.

I see three main criteria coming:
    1. Social score based on things like jaywalking, dissident behavior, political affiliation like China currently uses. Only people with adequate scores being allowed to purchase luxury items or essential items like TP in quantities other than the minimum amount in the correct interval. The political class will naturally have perfect scores and no restrictions.

2. Filtering based on health care data. Based on health care data would be denied certain foods and certain people will be politically diagnosed. The political class will have no restrictions, and in certain cases the health care providers will be punished for their declining health.

3. General quotas. Sales of certain items due to "climate change" or other political agendas would have quota restrictions. People with the highest social scores will be able to purchase even after those with lower scores have met their quota and were no longer able to purchase the items. Political class will have no quotas.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  12. DKR

ditch witch, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

"But it's for the children's health!" BAH HUMBUG!!

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Commiefornia needs guards and gates leaving the state,I'm seeing to/too/two many Commie plates here.

15. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Submit. Obey. Conform.

16. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

If one took a straight piece of pipe and put an angle in it s new slogan arises - Get Bent.

HK_User, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Black markets will abound. My Daddy was a good man, but he knew people that weren't...and I still see them from time to time.

Tully Mars, 3M-TA3 and HK_User like this.
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

They won't be as prevalent in the past unless they are trading in goods and services on both ends. One of the (planned) side effects of the plandemic is to wean us off cash currency as much as possible. Notice how there was all of the sudden a "cash deficiency"? Many stores and businesses are starting to go card transactions only. Unlike places like Venezuela we have the technology to monitor most transactions and movement. Penalties will be "re-education camp" severe.

HK_User likes this.
  19. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Ummm, you all get that they are not banning any junk foods right?
    they are simply saying the supermarkets can not place them at the checkout to get people to impulse buy them. (Which particularly targets kids)
    Kinda like the rules that say advertisers can no longer place adverts to target children during morning cartoons....
    If you want it, feel free to simply go to the regular isle they are still available on & buy all the crap non-food you want. Nobody's stopping you.

VisuTrac likes this.
  20. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Slippery sloop, just another control to introduce you into compliance for the next step so yes it is good to note the Comrades induction process.

OldDude49, Tully Mars and 3M-TA3 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7