First HF antenna...

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Bandit99, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

This month, I have been very busy obtaining preps and other items that I consider necessary but have been putting off for a number of reasons, some valid some not. Anyway, decided to stop procrastinating and jump-in. I have increased my freeze-dried stores by at least 2 months (ouch! expensive) purchased a new high-quality piston AR, new individual water purifiers plus some Life Straws, and a number of other things to include a duel-fuel generator that I intend to purchase this weekend, already got a large propane bottle for it on a hand-truck (dolly) ready for testing it. Next improvement is communications and I will take my Extra test in January.

So, I have decided on a HF radio as that's where my interest lies, always wanted one, and I already got a couple of VHF/UHF that I never use mainly because I have no current interest in them unless, of course, the SHTF. I have a communications background and got interested in SDR radios a long time ago (late 80's or early 90's) when I sat in on a briefing concerning new and/or advancing technologies. I was working Intelligence Systems at the time and even though the major focus at the time was imagery this was part of the briefing and caught everyone's attention and it has held mine all these years so...so I'm going to purchase a SDR radio, probably the IC-7300 unless something better come out but it's worthless without an antenna and the antenna probably should come first. I have scoured the internet and got a few ideas but thought I would ask here also.

Yes, I have plenty of room (5 wooded acres). Yes, I do have a few tall trees close to the house that could be used. Yes, I could use the house as think wife is pretty easy with my projects - well - as long as I dress up the cabling to make it look nice, hide it would be better...

So, what recommendation would some of you guys give for a first HF antenna? I guess I really don't care if I have to purchase or build from scratch. I think something easy at first to help enhance my interest and also realize it is winter here LOL! so I might have to even wait until Spring but I would rather build it now as currently we have no snow and - well - I'm bored. The guy down the road has a tower but I think that is the wrong approach at this point in time because I don't know enough yet about reception here and exactly where I would want to put it. So right now intend to use the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) as much as possible before doing something real permanent.

What part of the HF spectrum interests me? Having never played with it - all of it. I honestly don't know and would ask your advice. Where is lots of activity? I mean, there is no such thing as the perfect multi-band antenna but for first endeavor something simple but sees lots of activity. We can then expand from there. Hell, I do have a throw bag and thought maybe just throw a cable up a tree to get on the air which would be enough to justify the radio purchase for Christmas :) That is more than doable and maybe that is the solution at this point...

So, advice and recommendations?

chelloveck, 3M-TA3 and sec_monkey like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

For ease of getting started - a vertical is a good start. If you have an antenna tuner...

I just stick up a piece of metal, like TV masting, more than 15 feet tall. The bottom goes into a 2 liter soda bottle cut to fit and the center conductor of the coax is attached to the pipe with a lug and screw. The outside of the coax goes to a length of chicken wire buried under a couple of inches of dirt. I used that setup for several years.

A commercial Vertical with a decent set of radials will work better, of course. A Butternut (6HF*) or a nice trapped vertical like the Hygain 14AVQ works fine as well. A vertical give a low angle of radiation, so you have a better chance for DX contacts. I have some bad weather/ice loading/high wind issues here that you may not face. So, I use the vertical as it is more 'survivable' in bad wx conditions.

Otherwise, a simple dipole as high as you can string it will work just fine.

You are correct that a good antenna is more important than a high powered rig....

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That's where I started, with no clue. I wound up buying a multi band rotatable dipole of which there are several on the market. Mine is an MFJ 1775 that has allowed me to sample 6m thru 40m (and have used it on 2m with my h/t on the club net.) As with most of this type of critter, they want to be UP. Mine is on a steel EMT conduit mast braced to my deck, about 25 feet off the ground, which is at 1755 ASL If you have trees, you may be better off with a fan dipole. I've become convinced that having multi band capability is the only way to fly, since at any given time of the year, or the day, or the hour, conditions will change.

FWIW, a tuner is a needed accessory in the shack. While it is more than possible to trim any antenna to resonance at any given frequency, it's an odds on bet that you cannot cover the entire band of interest without some kind of matching network. Some radios have tuners on board, but they are apt to be somewhat limited in the range of mismatch that they will willingly tolerate.

But there HAS to be something to building your own. Now that I've been playing around with this hobby, I have an 80 meter single band dipole in mind, also having trees in the "right places" on the property. I'll say right up front that I have exactly zero interest in a vertical due to living on a pile of rock that routinely gets 2 feet of resident snow, making radials somewhat problematic. (The thought of mowing around guys doesn't exactly enthuse me, either.)

When conditions are right, there's a goodly amount of activity on 40 20 and 15. Others, not so much.

4. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Altoidfishfins, 3M-TA3 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

When i move north, in ‘91, Built an 80meter Dipole, the first Day, out of a HyGain Balun, that i brought with me, and #12 Stranded THNN Wire, that was available on Site. I had my Kenwood TS 430 and a Dentron MT-3000 Manual Antenna Tuner, in my luggage. The second morning, i got it strung up between a Couple of 120 Ft Spruce Trees, with the Balun ceneterd on the Cabin. I had a 500’ of Beldon RG-58U Coax, down in my Radio Shop, and used 75 ‘ to run from the Balun into the Radioroon in the Cabin. I was on the air before noon, and had no problem loading up on all the HF Bands from 80 Meters, up thru 10 Meters, using the Tuner. As the days went by, i found Could get that Antenna to load up, using. the tuner, on all the HF Marine, & the Alaska Fixed bands as well. I had to replace one leg of the Dipole last Spring when it fatigued and broke, and i used some PhospherBronze Marine Antenna wire, I had in storage, Then. a couple of weeks ago, the other leg broke. I used up. all the PhospherBronze that I had, so went and got a Roll of #10 Stranded. Copper THNN Wire, and repaired the Antenna. Good for another 25+ years... My other HF Antenna is an old Junk 5BTV, that Crazy Bill gave me. It is mounted next. to the Galvinized Steel Cabin Roof, whiich provides the RF Ground Plane, for the Antenna. I have an MFJ KW Manual Tuner on that Antenna, and it sits on 7093 Khz, using the TS-480HX 200 Watt HF Radio... The verticle doesn’t tune the Marine & Fixed Frequencies as good as the Dipole does, but it is acceptable as a Backup Antenna, if needed. Works just fine on the HF Ham Bands... I have two towers, along with multiple Beam antennas that i shipped up with the household goods, but they never got put up, because the Dipole worked so well... The trick to make a good Cheap HF Antenna, is a Good Balun, a Good Manual Tuner, and high up in the Air... Everything else is barely significant, in preformane of the antenna...

6. Bandit99

@DKR "I just stick up a piece of metal, like TV masting..."
    Yeah, I am thinking more and more just to get something simple up and working.

"I have some bad weather/ice loading/high wind issues here that you may not face."
    Oh, I don't know about that... I know you live in Alaska so more severe but here in North Idaho we get high winds (50-70mph 2 years ago, I had trees down everywhere) and had 7 feet of snow last year which was more than enough for my taste. LOL!

"Otherwise, a simple dipole as high as you can string it will work just fine."
    Yeah, I am wonder if I can use the two trees near my house for something like that...antenna would run North to South if I used those, not sure that matters at this point.

@ghrit "FWIW, a tuner is a needed accessory in the shack."
    Yes, absolutely. And, I would like to hear any and all recommendations for one.

"If you have trees, you may be better off with a fan dipole."
    Yes, I think I know those or can look them up. It is where the antenna leads are cut to different lengths to cover different spectrums IIRC.

@BTPost "Built an 80meter Dipole... out of a HyGain Balun... and #12 Stranded THNN Wire ...Manual Antenna Tuner... I got it strung up between a Couple of 120 Ft Spruce Trees, with .... 75 ‘ to run from the Balun..."
    I could do almost do the exact same thing. I couldn't get it 120 feet up but certainly ~70 feet on a pair of pine trees, maybe a bit less...and the run to the house/radio would be about the same, 75 foot. That is definitely doable.

"The trick to make a good Cheap HF Antenna, is a Good Balun, a Good Manual Tuner, and high up in the Air..."
    Got it! You would go with the 'manual' tuner instead of one of the high-end auto tuners? Got a recommendation? What about a Balun?

@AD1 That is a hell'va deal! Have never seen this cheaper, free shipping also...ends tonight, talk about pressure! LOL!

chelloveck, 3M-TA3, AD1 and 1 other person like this.
  7. BTPost

ABSOLUTELY, Go with a Manual Tuner, rather than the AutoTuners of this day and age... The reason for this is... Back in the day, I tested the first Lumped Constant Binary Tuner that was designed for the Motorola Micom HF Mobile System by William Schilbe... Soon after Bill left Motorola and moved to Seattle, and joined Northern Radio Company, and brought that technology west with him... IT WAS REVOLUTIONARY... He hoped to make it Autotune, but couldn’t find a good Programmer to help with the code... Bill Forgey had left Northen Radio by that time, for SEA, and had a GREAT MicroProcessor Code Writer working for him named Mark Johnson. Together they had been trying for a few years to make an AutoTuner using Motor Driven Variable Caps and Coil, with little success... The Lumped Constant Binary Tuner Concept was exactly what was needed to simplify the Control System. Bill Forgey developed the Phase Detector, and Foward/Reverse Power Sampling circuits, and Mark wrote the Code that accepted the Inputs, and ran the Tuning Routine... I tested the Prototype, which became the SEA 1601 AutoTuner... Thru the years, that design was copied by ALL the other HF Radio OEMs, some even copied the eProms, in Bulk, including the Copyright Notice embeded in the Proms... The issue with this design, comes with short Antennas... The impedance swings changes drasticly as the Frequency gets lower, and the Relay Contacts that switch in, and out the Coils and Caps, can’t take the High Voltage, and Currents, and fail... Also because there are only so many Different Cap Sizes Availble for the design and a limited number of Binary steps, available for control, rarely do you ever get a Perfect Match, and the Routine settles for anthing better than 1.3 To 1 SWR... Not bad, but also not perfect.... With a Good Manual Tuner the Caps a continuiously Variable, as is a Roller Coil Inductor... Much more efficent tuning... If your AutoTuner Goes Click Click Click CLICK, while tuning it is a Lumped Constant Binary Tuner, and has this issue... Fine for 90% of the users, but not for the rest, who demand Perfect...

chelloveck likes this.
  8. Bandit99

@BTPost I see your point and I see how that would be a real pain to write code for, writing to analog is always a pain and why they write it most of the time to be a range instead of a specific variable.

This IC-7300 has an auto tuner in it so my question is... Can I use a manual tuner in conjunction with the auto tuner? Is that a common knowledge question or is it something I need to ask the vendor? I honestly know...

chelloveck and 3M-TA3 like this.
  9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Just turn the autotuner off. No problem.

Bandit99 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. BTPost

Usually the BuiltIn Auto tuner can be bypassed, it is this way on All my Kenwoods, so i suspect that it is true for Icoms as well... You can download the Operations Manual from the Icom Site and it will tell you... this gives you more options... You can bupass the Internal, and most manual Tuners also have a Bypass Setting, so you could use the Internal and bypass the externall as well... On my Dipole i leave the. Tuner setup for 80 Meters, and when i switch to 20 Meters during the day, I bypass it, and use the Internal tuner for 20 meters.. Works well for me.... I have a Bird Double Pole, Double Throw, Manual Coax Switch so i can run either Radio thru either Antenna/Tuner System.. and since the TS-480HX adds a second 100 Watt Power Amp in place of th e AutoTuner, that is in the TS-480SAT version, it requires a Tuner...

Bandit99 likes this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I've been looking at HF rigs with SHTF/emergency as the driving factor. These have caught my interest as a good trade off between value, size, and performance.

For SHTF I value the ability to receive more than the ability to transmit, as transmitting may give my location. but for emergency comms transmitting becomes more important. Is the 25/100 Watt power spec coupled to a fairly efficient antenna adequate? What are some other good choices? Note I'm not interested in contesting, just good solid communications.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think @Bandit99 and I are working along the same lines.

Bandit99 likes this.
  12. BTPost

I have found 100 Watts PEP to be satisfactory for my needs, for over 50+ years... I now have a 200 Watt PEP Radio, should i need the extra 3db in power, but 95% of the time that 3db is unnessesary... If. the SHTF, I have a RF Communications RF-102 Commercial 1.5 Kw 2-30 Mhz Amp in Storage, that i have had for 30+ years, but never felt I needed the extra Power.. I have my eye on an SEA 330 HF Radio System, that is 300 Watts PEP, and likely to be surplused in a few years... I installed. this Radio 20 years ago, but almost NO ONE uses HF Marine Radio anymore, as 95% Of that traffic goes out on INMARSAT, or TracPhones, these days... So we will keep watching, and since I kno w the Radio well, if it goes, i. will grab it...

Bandit99 likes this.
  13. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

The cheap, easy, and effective solution would be separate homebrew mono band dipoles for the bands you most want to use. You have a lot of space so finding room for them should not be much of an issue. Since you don't have much experience to draw from, I suggest starting with 40 and 20 meters since that's where most of the HF activity is, and these bands are fairly consistently open. You can always add other bands later.

As for an antenna tuner...as already mentioned, most radios have one already built in, and if you build your antennas right you might not even need it anyway. @BTPost is technically correct in his analysis, but parsing the difference between auto vs. manual involves some hair-splitting and fussing over minutiae. Built in tuners can be bypassed...but it does not make a lot of economic sense to spend extra for a radio with a built in tuner and then go out and buy an outboard version to replace it.

The correct choice is to put up the best antenna you can and if needed use a tuner to correct small deficiencies. I can run my FT-950 across the entire 40 phone side and most of 20 without a tuner and the SWR never goes above 1.3. The only time you should heavily rely on a tuner is when you are using an antenna that specifically requires it, such as a random wire. Too many hams put up a antenna they know is crap and then use a tuner as a band aid to "fix" it.

If your antenna is good, then it won't matter what kind of tuner you have; and if your antenna is crap, it also won't matter what kind of tuner you have.

Bandit99 likes this.
  14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Simple answer, yes, but the on board unit may or may not cover a whole band. On board auto tuners don't play nice with the accessory units, whether full fancy automatic or manual. If the on board tuner balks and tells you to up and die, just switch to the in line manual. Sixty kazillioin on the market, mine is an MFJ 941E (Versatuner II.) All I can say is that it works, I picked it for price, not function. That said, there's a good chance it would load a highway guard rail. Not efficiently, maybe, but the xmitter would not balk.

I switch back and forth, on board to auxiliary, as needed to cover the parts of the bands I work. Worth the note, as conditions change, so do the tuner settings. ALWAYS turn down the power to tune up, to avoid pissing people off with a cw signal on an incorrect part of the band you want to work.

Bandit99 likes this.
  15. BTPost

Just looked at the ICom 7300 Manual, and the AutoTuner bypass is a Front Panel Switch... It is either ON or OFF...

16. Bandit99

@BTPost Yep! It is right on the front panel and one can activate it on or off... I downloaded the manual.

I am going to start tomorrow looking for stuff to make up the antenna. I'll probably have to order most everything...no radio shack or equivalent around here that I know. I think I will hold off purchasing the radio until I get antenna up, might take a bit more work than anticipated as it appears I will have to punch a hole through my foundation wall as it's the best way to get cabling into the house then come up through the floor. I will look again tomorrow. I'm not too worried about finding another deal on the radio as Christmas is coming also. We'll see as got a couple of hours left...ordering and getting a radio is easy, setting up a good functioning antenna is the challenge since I have never done it before...

I do have a lot of trees around the property and there is no way in hell I can get higher than them...need to do some more research tomorrow...

17. BTPost

What i did was Installed a 2” PVC Pipe thru the wall, directly into my Radioroom, just above the lower Wall Plate... Then put an Elbow on the outside facing down, and a Glued Coupling, on the Inside. The elbow was held on with two self tapping Screws just long enough to secure it to the pipe. Then i ran all the external Coax Cables thru it, and the filled the pipe with Self-sealing Foam, from the Inside... If i needed to replace or add another cable there was plenty of room in the pipe, and the foam plug is easy to remove, without damaging the cables already installed...

3M-TA3 likes this.
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@Bandit99 If you are looking for really well made terminated RF cable check out Bluejeans Cable. No snake oil, just quality cable and connectors assembled correctly to your specifications. I've used them in the past and will use them again.

RF Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

19. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Great review of the IC-7300:

Also for the FT-991A (I'm kind of flipping back and forth between the two)

20. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Have you ever acquired any 50 ohm cable from them? All I am seeing is 75 ohm tv stuff...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7