1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Gear Review Fisher "Space Pen"

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by stg58, Apr 24, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

For years I have used two old chrome Fisher Space pens. I had to replace one cartridge but they work hot or cold and upside down.
    So I decided to pick up a couple that of the black cased versions because they are not reflective and they seem to be just as good still made in the same factory in the USA.
    They are now my stock in my EDC bags.
    I have a few of the "tactical pens" but space is a premium and a 3.5" pen fit pretty much anywhere.

A common urban legend states that NASA spent a large amount of money to develop a pen that would write in space (the result purportedly being the Fisher Space Pen), while the Soviets just used pencils.[2][3] There is a grain of truth: NASA began to develop a space pen, but when development costs skyrocketed the project was abandoned and astronauts went back to using pencils, along with the Soviets.[2][3] However, the claim that NASA spent millions on the Space Pen is incorrect, as the Fisher pen was developed using private capital, not government funding. NASA – and the Soviets[3][4][5] – eventually began purchasing such pens.

NASA programs previously used pencils[6] (for example a 1965 order of mechanical pencils[7]) but because of the substantial dangers that broken pencil tips and graphite dust pose to electronics in zero gravity, the flammable nature of wood present in pencils,[7] and the inadequate quality documentation produced by non-permanent or smeared recordkeeping, a better solution was needed. Russian cosmonauts used pencils, and grease pencils on plastic slates until also adopting a space pen in 1969 with a purchase of 100 units for use on all future missions.[8] NASA never approached Paul Fisher to develop a pen, nor did Fisher receive any government funding for the pen's development.[7] Fisher invented it independently and then, in 1965, asked NASA to try it. After extensive testing, NASA decided to use the pens in future Apollo missions.[6][8][9] Subsequently, in 1967 it was reported that NASA purchased approximately 400 pens for $6 a piece.[8]

In 2008, Gene Cernan's Apollo 17-flown space pen sold in a Heritage auction for US$23,900.[10]
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    Tully Mars, HK_User and kellory like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

Had one of those many years ago, lost in a move or three.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Tully Mars and stg58 like this.
  4. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I have that exact pen in my pocket right now, use it for work and love it. Have replaced the cartridge once. It fits in my memo book holder. Highly recommend it.
    stg58 likes this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I don't get the need for a pen. We aren't In space and other than a marker or a pencil... What is the purpose of an expensive pen?

Van someone explain the need to please? *scratches head* I really don't get it.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Well, as a hunter, I DO require a pen. By law, when I drop a deer, even on my own property, I must fill out a hand written tag to claim it, before I continue hunting. It must show where the deer was killed, time of day, name of hunter, public lands or private lands.
    This is then called in or emailed or dropped by a check station.
    This is done for a couple of reasons.first and foremost, it is for accurate info on herd size, health, and male female ratios.
    I use wired shipping tags for my deer tags.
    Now, if I omit that step, even on my own land, and get caught, there will be problems, because (by law) the game is State resources. And even on my land, I must comply with hunting regulations, bag limits, hunting seasons and legal methods. So, for me at least, a pen is required equipment, and it needs to work when I need it.
    stg58, Ganado and oldawg like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Great thanks Kells... I haven't hunted for so long I had forgotten about tags
  8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

Are you saying that you actually fill the tags out.... hmmm :)
    "State resources" B.S....can't we just live without government interference. :lol:
  9. kellory

Yes, I do follow the law as it is written.
    Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

[LMAO] I was playing with you and wanted to see how fast you would respond to that worm... on the end of the hook......[lolol]
    Tully Mars, Ganado and kellory like this.
  11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey Site Supporter+

While I haven't properly checked this out yet, I've been told that in this state I I hunt on my land, I don't need a tag[winkthumb] I find this kinda hard to believe, but as time permits, I'll check out the regs.

Back to the Pens- Last time we were visiting Huntsville, they had them for sale in the gift area:)
  12. kellory

Most states, when hunting your own land no permit is required for deer, but you are still required to tag and inform.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I just look up NM, they no longer have carcass tags... odd
  14. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

no they do not, if you are caught with one you are going to have issues.
  15. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja Jedi Bipolar WINNING M.L.F.

No you don't....you HATE your neighbors.
    Matthew 22:36 - 22:40
    Luke 10:25 - 10:37

On topic....if you were going to write down these verses, it would be best to do it in RED ink....I don't think the space pen comes in red?

*edit* - due to mod and user request - I have condensed this post to be not so much of a "wall of text" and only a minor bit of @55|-|@77ery.

With love

16. kellory

Grinder, the THIEVES ARE my neighbors, and I would still need the pen along with my camera to keep them in line. And my guns, if the pen fails, so it had best be a good one.
    It has been said that "the pen is mightier than the sword" but I would not want to test that theory in melee.
    Hanzo likes this.
  17. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Had a bunch of these in the basic chrome... and used them all the time... all the bodies cracked over time right where the head press fits into the body, so the brass threads held but the covering where you hold kept coming off ... rendered them useless to me... tried super glue but oh well still didn't hold... still like them... but won't purchase anymore... probably a bad run.... JMHO....
    Hanzo, Ganado and Mindgrinder like this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

We used pens in our martial arts practice too. Think mini kubotan.
    kellory likes this.
  19. kellory

That is why you would want one that could be driven through a baseball, not break under stress.
    Hanzo likes this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Still use mine. Haven't had cracking issue. Closest "problem" was forgetting it in my pocket and having it go through the washer and dryer. O-rings kept out the water, but that sucker wedged really tight.

Normally, I carry my black one. Also have Fisher refills in some other "regular" pens, like a Parker.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary