Found a new site - cooking in the 18th Century

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by DKR, May 13, 2018.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Yes, cooking in the 18th Century - with recopies. I would say this guy is to cooking as the fellow in Oz is to Primitive Technology.

This guy (Townsends?) does talk and gives the recipe and cooking tips

- this one is on Pemmican. This is a full-on UToob channel

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Wow! Very interesting!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. duane

duane Monkey+++

You can live on pemmican and die on jerky. Pemmican has the tallow to give you the fats you need and with berries and the marrow you will get at least some vitamins and minerals that you need. Lean beef jerky is a good source of protein, but that is about it.
    from what little I have read, need additional fats as well as minerals and other supplements if you have a diet with mostly jerky or dried fish.

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Living in the PNW, we were exposed to the traditional pemician of both Red Meats and Salmon, both are far better for you then just about any other "survival food" but they need to be preserved properly, and they also need to be used beside other "Found Foods" if your going to go long term on them! I LOVE salmon, and Salmon pemican is very tasty, so I wouldn' have issues like others do, it can get old quick!
    The other trick is to use it as a stock for soups, or to add to breads, ether as a gravy or mixed with Onions and other veggies and served as a main dish!
    I have found that Pemican mixed with Bear and Salmon seem to both last longer, taste better, and give more energy and health benefits, but they can only be eaten so long before they get boring, Elk and Venison can also be very good mixed in, but they are both better used on their own, as are the bone and marrow! Boil out the marrow, and smoke the bone before grinding to a paste and use as gravy in a trencher! Add veggies and you eat like a king!

tacmotusn likes this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

If that's the case, I need to follow him as well. Been following Primitive Technology since almost the start of his channel.

8. duane

duane Monkey+++

Your body is a bank, calories in have to in the long run be equal to the calories expended in the long run or your checks bounce and you die.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7