Founding Members - Update

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by melbo, Aug 20, 2015.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

A long time ago, circa 2005, we decided to recognize our Founding Members with a title stating just that. It was an arbitrary number chosen by Member # (maybe the first 100 members or so) when we were a small forum with a low frequency of new member registration. Looking back from 10 years and seeing some members who have been here since the first year we've expanded the Founder title to include any active members who were here in 2005.

All of the original 'Founders' of SM are/were Moderators and Founders.

This change probably only affects a few that are still around.

Marck, Hanzo, Bear and 7 others like this.
  2. RightHand

RightHand Pioneer in a New World Moderator Founding Member

I think those who have stuck with us for 10 years as we have gone through our growing pains have certainly earned the right to be called a "founding member." Those are the members who continue to be the life blood of our community

ghrit, Tracy, Hanzo and 7 others like this.
  3. melbo

There were only 18 active founders in the original group ('05 - '06) of which 8 are active in 2015.
    By extending to 1-1-2006, we gain a a few who are still active and this was exactly the point in doing this. Members who have stuck around for 10 years and joined when we were nothing in 2005 should be recognized.

Marck, Tracy, Hanzo and 10 others like this.
  4. KAS

KAS Monkey++

hey good work guys and thanks for keeping it going ...

Bear, stg58, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  5. melbo

I didn't look at the entire memberlist from 2005 but have noticed a few new Founders since the change :)
    @Brokor @stg58

chelloveck, Ganado, Bear and 4 others like this.
  6. RightHand

RightHand Pioneer in a New World Moderator Founding Member

I was relegated to the back room fixing your tea and mid-afternoon sweets but I certainly could hear the commotion on the floor and had all I could do to hold myself back from joining in.

Motomom34, Tracy, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  7. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King Site Supporter

I just realized that banner didn't say floundering member...
    [peep]

8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

yep....it sounds a little fishy to me...ah well at least they have a Plaice on the floundering members list...deservedly so. (y)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    Ganado likes this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Well, we probably were floundering, but didn't realize it at the time.

Brokor likes this.
  10. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

Some of the names on here still look familiar.

Tracy and chelloveck like this.
  11. ghrit

'Bout time you showed up again. Welcome home.

RightHand and chelloveck like this.
  12. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

Thanks. Very busy...not much time to be online these days.

13. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Oh come on, that was before Al Gore invented the internet, so that must have been back when it was DARPA net.

Rancher

14. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Although not a founding member of the Monkey tree, I've been doing this a while.

Google: "dukes doghouse bbs" (Duke was our Britney Spaniel) it was featured in Playboy Magazine as an Adult site which accepted credit cards....

I moved in 1995, the last year of the BBS and due to possible IRS complications I never re-opened (I never accepted donations).

Rancher, and now you know my real name.

15. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Actually NO, the World Wide Web was invented by a Researcher @ CERN, in 1989, and his first Web Browser went live in CERN in 1990.... The Internet was functioning, long before that, as an independent entity. ArpaNet went live in 1969, and my first experience with it was in the early 70's @ the University of Washington. I have had a Net Presents ever since.

ALGORE is an Idiot, and should be relegated to History's TrashBin, forever....

16. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Wow, I remember playing basket ball on a teletype remotely connected to the DEC 10 in the early 70's.

Rancher

17. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

LOL.....I remember riding my bicycle in the 70's......ya bunch of old farts!!! :rolleyes:

kellory and Ganado like this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

I was part of the Team, that ran the DataGeneral Mini, that was used as a Frontend, I/O Processor on the PDP10 In the basement of the Health Sciences Bldg, at the U of W, back in that day... It was connected to the Adminstration's Burroughs, which was connected to the Twin Boroughs at Berkley, which was connected to both SRI, and Livermoore Labs... That was called the West Coast Intertie, and became part of ARPANet, soon after it' launch... It has been fun, growing up with the InTernet....

19. ghrit

My first computer experience (and a great turnoff it was) was with an IBM 360 with punch card input and dot matrix output. That would be in 1960. Was quite enough to disinterest me in 'puters until WAY later in life.

RightHand likes this.
  20. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Ah yes the Burroughs corp, lots of old companies that didn't have the vision to make it, I fielded TACS computers that ran BTOS, Burroughs Ten Operating Systems, in the early 80's, I think it was the only computer system based on the INTEL 80186 chip, before that I built display terminals for CDC, remember them... Control Data Corporation, 12/24 lines of 80 characters, i.e. to mimic the 80 column punch card, the monitor from Motorola cost them wholesale $973.00

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7