Mosby From the Library

Discussion in '3 Percent' started by survivalmonkey, Feb 23, 2019.

1. survivalmonkey

survivalmonkey Monkey+++

I haven’t read as much this week as I normally do. One, I’ve been particularly busy with spring cleaning type stuff, cleaning out animal pens and tool sheds, etc. Two, the first book on the list is a particularly long work, with small print, and lots of end notes for me to cross reference. In the future, even if I’ve only read one or two books in a week, instead of my normal 5-6, I will include extras, out of my personal library, that I recommend, even if I haven’t read them in the last week or so.

Baden-Powell by Tim Jeal; This is a lengthy, thorough biography of the founder of the Boy Scout Movement. It covers a number of controversial areas in the General’s life, and uses primary source material to rectify some of the errors that other modern historians and biographers have made, in the interest of pursuing their own agendas against B-P and/or the Boy Scout Movement. It’s a really well done biography, and I even got an idea for the next subscription drill out of it, based on B-Ps exploits in Southern Africa, and his leadership at the Siege of Mafeking.

Harris on the Pig by Joseph Harris; Originally written in the 1800s, by THE expert on hog-raising. One of the things I—and others—have found about the modern Permaculture and Sustainable Ag movement is that most of the books and articles written seem to be of two flavors: a) they are written by people who have taken one or two Permaculture Design Courses (PDC), and have little or no actual experience raising foods, or b) they are hackneyed rewrites of original material from the 1800s and earlier, often missing the critical details that—because of lack of depth of experience—define the difference between success and failure.

This is one of the original, go-to manual/handbooks for hog farmers on the small-scale and commercial scale. It is well worth studying, if you are looking at small livestock as part of your preparedness journey (and I would argue, if you’re not, you’re not serious about being prepared).

School of the Moon: The Highland Cattle-Raiding Tradition by Stuart McHardy; A look at the raiding cateran tradition among the Scottish Highlands, pre-Clearance. This offers a pretty good look at a European clan/tribal society functioning in a state of endemic conflict, despite attempts by outside social mores trying to reduce or halt that violence (in this case, both the Lowland Scots government and the British government tried to halt the traditions. Both were unsuccessful until the overwhelming defeat at Culloden, and even then, it took a number of years to really halt the raiding) and how the numbers of casualties, while apparently low in any given encounter, tend to add up quickly. It also looks at the manner in which, in such societies, skill-at-arms and practical intelligence quickly become markers of success in society.

Continue reading...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7