Fukashima Update! "Nothing to see here, move along!"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gopherman, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I have been watching the progression of this disaster since it started. If you have not, it only goes to prove my point!
    There is very little coming out about this disaster dubbed "The worst Nuclear Catastrophe in history." and yet you almost never see it covered in Main Stream Media! Why not?
    If you think it's because it's not that bad, you are Dead wrong!
    Japan has made it ILLEGAL to talk about it to the Media, Why? People are being imprisoned for it!
    Thousands of homeless men are being employed to help in the cleanup, and their dying Wholesale, and no one seems to care.
    Luckily the truth is leaking out and some of the Japanese Scientist working on it are the ones doing the leaking.
    This directly affects the US! If you think it's going to go away sooner or later, try 30,000 years from now!
    Let that sink in for a moment.
    This thing is only going to get worse! Hyper-thyroidism is up 27 percent in California, like they don't have enough to worry about? The mushrooms in Washington State are flooded with Rad.
    Sea-life is dropping dead By the millions of tons, Sealion populations are being decimated by tumors and stillborn pups,.....
    All this info is readily retrievable on Google. If you don't know anything about it at all except there was a meltdown a few years ago, you might want to educate yourself at least a little before you eat too much of that Pacific seafood. Just Sayin!!
    Japan Prepares To Release Thousands Of Tons Of Fukushima Groundwater Into The Pacific | Peak Oil News and Message Boards

2. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Geez, and I was in such a good mood.[eek3]

The more I think of a global Ebola pandemic the more I believe it would be a blessing for the planet. hissyfit

Odd how both subjects are avoided by nearly all media. maddd

What did I find on Fox News this morning ?
    Gossip about Michael Jackson and his bedbugs, bathroom habits and body odor. [OO]

Stop the planet, I wanna get off. [tongue]

3. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Part of me also just wants the SHTF, so we can deal with it and move on. Meanwhile, I'm gonna work on my root cellar and wash the cats' bedding and clean their litterbox while they're gone. Found an NPO in town that will pick up our cats, spay them, and return them(we can't drive for medical reasons) for free. Well sorta free, they notch the cat's ear, and if you don't want that, it's $15 per cat to keep their ears intact. But $15 to never have to worry about more mouths to feed is a small price.

ditch witch, Bear and Gopherman like this.
  4. Gopherman

I just sw that article this morning on yahoo news. It's rare that they talk about it at all. My whole immediate family lives on the Left coast in Washington.
    We were saying the same thing about a week ago, Just bring it on!! Get it over with, the suspense is killing me!!So will all the Radiation!!![tf]

Bear likes this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Same here Gopherman , 100 M or 300 feet away ..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    ditch witch and Gopherman like this.
  6. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Since we're all going to heck inna handbasket at least we've got good company. [tongue]

Gopherman and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Well when us folks on the west coast start to glow... we will shoot up a flare for ya all..... ;)

NotSoSneaky and Gopherman like this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Why bother with flares???:rolleyes:

9. Gopherman

You won't have to send up a flare!
    We'll see the glow in the morning sky!

Tracy and Yard Dart like this.
  10. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

That will be interesting to see when the food chain starts to get corrupted.... soon me thinks. :(

12. Gopherman

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Gopherman likes this.
  14. Gopherman

Thanks! And I thought you were gonna make me feel better! [tongue]

It's crazy whats happening over there, The company that builds the Geiger-counters actually went to the beaches in Ca. that people with cheaper versions were saying th count's were 500% higher than normal and used their own superior gear.
    The result was " your wrong their not 500% higher, There 1500% higher. Just like you I thought they were gonna make me feel better, watch this

15. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

I think I will suggest some alternate view points to examine here to counteract the blatant lies and fear mongering propaganda of the globalist liberal environmental movement and MSM.

This is an excellent documentary to check out on Netflix streaming.

Pandora

Pandora's Promise is a 2013 documentary film about the nuclear power debate, directed by Robert Stone. Its central argument is that nuclear power, which still faces historical opposition from environmentalists, is a relatively safe and clean energy source
    Pandora's Promise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The film makes one especially intriguing — and counterintuitive — assertion: that nuclear power is second only to wind turbines in terms of safety. Many more people are killed, for example, by air pollution from burning coal, according to the film. Even the manufacture of solar panels, which are apparently quite toxic to make, are more lethal.

Here, of course, is the sticking point.

Physician and anti-nuclear activist Helen Caldicott also appears in the film, calling the nuclear industry a “death industry” and claiming that fatalities from the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear plant disaster were upward of 1 million people. But several others in the film, citing reports of the World Health Organization and the United Nations, put the number at only around 50 or, if you count some sick people who haven’t yet died, in the low thousands.

That’s a big discrepancy. And no one in the film, least of all Caldicott, appears able to reconcile it. The film, by Robert Stone (“Earth Days”), leaves it hanging.

There are many reasons to be scared of nuclear power, as even those who appear on camera advocating for it admit. “When it goes wrong,” says Lynas, a British journalist and climate change activist who wrote a 2012 article titled “In Defence of Nuclear Power,” “it goes really very wrong indeed.” When Lynas visits the site of the 2011 Fukushima nuclear plant meltdown, even he admits to feeling a “wobble” in his otherwise well-articulated stance in support of nuclear power. His argument, in a nutshell, is that opposition to nuclear power is tantamount to giving up in the fight against global warming.

Another argument the film makes is that radiation itself, while admittedly dangerous, is not the demon it’s been painted as. One recurring leitmotif throughout the film is a shot of a handheld radiation dosimeter showing “normal” background radiation that, in many cases, is much higher than such “contaminated” hotspots as Pripyat, the town next to the Chernobyl plant.

There are good reasons to be skeptical of nuclear power. And to its credit, the film enumerates all of them, including the fact that plutonium, a byproduct of uranium fission, could be used to create weapons. But the example of France, a country that now gets 80 percent of its power from more than 50 clean, quietly humming nuclear plants, is held up as a success story."

Fair Use Source: ‘Pandora’s Promise’ movie review - The Washington Post

"What if you suspected that everything you knew about nuclear energy was wrong? What would you do?

That’s what faced some prominent dyed-in-the-wool anti-nuclear activists. What they did then is what smart and caring people do – they researched the subject and made their own decision.

Academy Award nominee Robert Stone chronicles these transformations in a new movie called Pandora’s Promise. It is a documentary about leading environmentalists that have changed their minds about nuclear energy because of concerns about climate change. They found that misinformation and outright lies about nuclear energy proliferated in an environmental movement that previously supported nuclear energy as a way out of a fossil fuel-dominated future.

That shift of the environmental establishment away from nuclear has, instead, cemented our fossil fuel future more than ever. We are on the verge of becoming a natural gas nation that will still use copious amounts of oil and coal. The poorly-considered drive to swap nuclear with natural gas and gas-dependent renewables will erase the recent benefits gained from replacing old coal plants with gas. This will cause CO2 emissions to rise higher than ever.

The decision to close San Onofre is just the beginning. Instead of repairing or allowing the reactors to run at 70% power, natural gas with a little gas-buffered wind and solar, will have to replace 7% of California’s electricity. An extra nine million tons or so of CO2 will spew into the atmosphere each year. Anti-nuclear activists disregard this effect and have been successful in bullying the utilities and their elected leaders into bad environmental decisions that will cost them dearly in rates and carbon.

Pandora’s Promise is set to premier in New York on June 12, in Seattle on June 14th and in Portland on June 21st, but the movie was already a hit at the Sundance Film Festival. Robert Stone kept this film fairly pure, producing it independently from anyone in the nuclear or related industries, even providing a complete list of funding for it.

The movie features appearances from Stewart Brand (founder of The Whole Earth Catalog), Richard Rhodes (one of the original environmental writers and author of the seminal work, The Making of the Atomic Bomb), environmental activist Mark Lynas (author of Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet), and Gwyneth Cravens (author of Power to Save the World). The movie asks whether the one technology we fear the most could save our planet from a climate catastrophe, while providing the energy needed to lift billions of people in the developing world up out of unimaginable poverty. Aside from the ethical issues that should spur us to eradicate global poverty, it turns out that poverty itself is tremendously damaging to the environment.

This shift in paradigm is not confined to a small group of environmentalists. That Sir Richard Branson and Microsoft’s Paul Allen have joined Pandora’s Promise is no small thing. Jim Hanson himself agrees, saying that nuclear is essential to solving the climate crisis (ES&T). And Bill Gates formed a nuclear power company charged with developing the best nuclear reactor possible to address the energy poverty of the developing world (TerraPower).

Going Green? Then Go Nuclear read a Wall Street Journal headline last month. It sat atop an opinion piece by Ted Nordhaus and Michael Shellenberger, co-founders of the Breakthrough Institute, an environmental policy think-tank in Oakland, California.

The Maryland Conservation Council, the small all-volunteer organization that led the environmental charge before the first Earth Day in the 1970s, also supports nuclear energy as a way to protect the Maryland shoreline and as the only real way to make a major dent in CO2 emissions.

So are these icons of past and present environmentalism suddenly insane? Of course not. They’ve simply taken the time and effort to understand a complex subject like nuclear in relation to an even more complex subject like climate change.

Is considering nuclear energy politically dangerous for environmentalists? Does it prevent normally-smart public servants from considering the best path forward on climate change?

Indeed it is, and explains the swift and nasty response to Pandora’s Promise from anti-nuclear groups and the expected rants from professional fear-mongerers. They make some interesting fictional points, but provide no real information, using the word science like a mythological sword whose power they recognize but don’t understand.

We were brainwashed with a fear of nuclear during the Cold War. One can argue whether that served the larger purpose of helping to prevent nuclear war. But Pandora’s Promise let’s environmental scholars show us how to evolve our thinking so that we might achieve a sustainable future for all species and all environments on our beautiful planet.

You need to look inside Pandora’s Promise."

Fair Use Source:
    Pandora's Promise - The Sundance Film Festival's Nuclear Exposé - Forbes

"What’s most dismaying in responses as Zeese’s is this utter groundless faith in fear, not fact. Emotion, not proof. Nightmares instead of reality. The anti’s arguments can be refuted at almost every turn but they insist on carrying the flag for their anti-nuke heroes who don’t even have the guts to sit down before a couple of non-shrill nuclear bloggers for a roundtable takedown. Don’t anti-nukers EVER wonder why their leaders chicken on serious debates? Why they never cough up confirmable and certified PROOF of their allegations? That would wave a red flag to me! For me, to be a green denying nuclear ranks one as a hyper-hypocrite and a half, who’d shrug off the tens of millions of KNOWN and historically RECORDED cases of fossil fuel aliments vs a handful of nuclear cases. Something must be going on for so many greens to deny nuclear in the face of such reality — not spectulative — numbers. It may well be that the thing far bigger than a bitter pill for greens to swallow to accept nuclear is their own egos."

James Greenidge
    Queens NY
    thanks http:///atomicinsights.com

The comments are interesting in the Forbes article and in the Netflix reviews.

Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online

“But you want more up to date information about the future of nuclear, of energy, how all your electronics relates to nuclear, how limited energy is holding us back and what we can do with abundant safe clean energy, look up Gordon McDowell's channel on YouTube and try watching LFTR in 5 mins.“

16. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Gopher , This was alot of lip service in your posted video.
    Brokers was good .

Brokor likes this.
  17. Gopherman

I wasn't able to edit the video for complete content, but "SO WHAT?"
    Their saying basically the same thing, This situation is out of control, and they have no Idea what their going to do about it, and 3 years have passed already.
    Meanwhile their polluting the Heck!! out of the planet!!!
    People are crying over global warming? (That's definitely a debate for another Thread!)
    The ground around the reactors is describe as "LIKE A MARSHMALLOW" and Governments are covering it up, or at best, refusing to acknowledge theirs a problem, when the consequences are enormous!
    I like having the power on, and paying relatively little for kw hours.
    The Pro's and con's of Nuclear power are not at debate here, this is what happens when there's a problem with it!
    The scariest thing about that, is what happens if the Grid goes down?
    And by the way, that post must have taken a lot of time and obviously much thought, Good Job! Seriously![applaud]
    I am concerned with the way the whole disaster has been handled, fear mongering is not even a term that's applicable here, that term is often over used as a tool to shut down honest debate much like the term" Racist".
    This is not fear mongering, but their is much to be afraid of!
    A lot of times we see the Gov. take the stance of it's not what we know, it's what can be proved?
    Sometimes it takes years to uncover whats really going on, by then it's often too late to do anything about it.
    This is one time that taking years,proving there a problem, will be a problem!
    Study: 28% Increase In Thyroid Problems In Babies Born After Fukushima in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington Washington's Blog
    I never new we had this many plants in the US! Holy Crap I hope the big one doesn't hit California anytime soon, or a 9 pointer of the East Coast!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  18. Brokor

I think Cruisin was more referring to the fact that you posted an INFOWARS.COM video, which does include more rhetoric and baseless accusations than anything else these days, not to mention their campaign to drum up fear and resentment for the establishment out of desperation to change the system. The main theme for Alex Jones has long been to wake people up, and he never caters specifically to his educated audience, just the ones he hasn't reached yet, so he is always going off on the same tangents we are all familiar with. Very rarely is there any hard proof (and most times there doesn't need to be) and there are only a bunch of references to media reports and the habits of the elite and their comments on them. My video was an RT report, isn't seen as biased, and it doesn't make flagrant bold accusations.

I support Infowars, I admire their campaign to instill more liberty and encourage independent media, but not the fear-mongering and the extremely radical stance it has taken, attempting to link everything to the global elite.

That is perhaps why my link was a bit more appealing.

Yard Dart and Gopherman like this.
  19. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Um, the main argument for nuclear power is to stop global warming? Isn't the global warming crap part of the 'globalist environmental movement'? Me personally, I'm not a fan of nuclear because to me it's like playing Russian roulette. They're just banking on nothing going wrong. I'm too familar with Murphy's Law and I've studied enough history to know that what brings down 'great' empires is their arrogance. And I think people are just electricity hogs these days. And I'm betting it's the "greenies" who use the most. If they really wanted to 'help the planet', they might wanna consider getting off their iPad and try living in the 1800s for a while.

Gopherman likes this.
  20. Brokor

Nuclear energy really is quite safe, and even in times of disasters, most plants are pretty well equipped to handle the situation. However, in rare cases of extreme emergency, like a massive power grid failure caused by the sun or an EMP attack, or even a massive earthquake, not all nuclear plants will fair the same. This is in part due to the location of the plant and the type of plant as well as its level of response and other capabilities. Most plants will probably do very well, but it only takes ONE to fail, as we have learned from the past, to make it an undesirable situation. By and large, as far as total threat be concerned, nuclear plants rank pretty low overall. I do have more concern for the aftermath and the applications we see for nuclear energy waste. Also, I am willing to bet most folks don't even know about the massive burial sites in the deserts of this country for hazardous waste. It's enough to make you lose sleep.

1. JC Refuge
  2. Motomom34
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. john316
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. AD1
  10. JC Refuge
  11. winston
  12. CATO