Garden Produce from discarded kitchen vegetable and herb scraps.

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by chelloveck, May 2, 2020.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    DuxDawg, Gator 45/70, oldawg and 7 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

All you need is a climate or greenhouse... maybe some shelf space indoors.

chelloveck and Meat like this.
  3. chelloveck

A sunny window ledge ought do it...obviously some of these things are seasonal....they would be good classroom projects too.

Dunerunner and Meat like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

For the kiddies doing schoolwork from home... and one Parent available to Stupidvise...

Dunerunner and chelloveck like this.
  5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

As always, I enjoy the information you dig up and share with us.

Dunerunner and chelloveck like this.
  6. chelloveck

It balances out some of my contentious stuff, demonstrating that I'm not just a one trick pony in this place. ;)

And I like to post stuff that is interesting and useful...some of the herb prpogation my be accelerated by using an appropriate rooting hormone. :)

Ganado, Yard Dart and Dunerunner like this.
  7. Dunerunner

I've always used Rootone, but when unavailable... saliva.

chelloveck likes this.
  8. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

A few years back, I had a friend who raised a few pigs. A year later he got rid of the pigs. That abandoned pig pen turned out to be the best garden he ever had. Didn't do a thing. It was just volunteer vegetables that had been run through the pigs and just started growing.

DuxDawg, chelloveck and RightHand like this.
  9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

When I was a teenager our cesspool caved in one Easter Sunday morning. Come summer, we have the biggest, most beautiful tomatoes I've every seen. We called them our volunteers

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    chelloveck, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Try dipping the ends in raw honey :) Best Rooting Compound I have ever used.

11. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

hehehe. One of my ex's sisters fell into a cesspool in wayback times. One of the other sisters convinced her that jumping up and down was safe. I wasn't there, but sure was treated to the story. (One of the other sisters deserved it, but not that one.)

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and RightHand like this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

except for ginger and an avocado tree or two ... ive never been able to get pieces of veggies to grow anything. They look pretty but to producing anything... never been able to do it. And while i appreciate the info i still wonder if people actually get produce from these bits of veggies

13. Dunerunner

I've gotten lettuces to reproduce using the above method, and maybe you could get kale or chard that way also but root vegetables … I don't know....

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

reproduce as in a whole head?

15. Dunerunner

Romaine, Red leaf types mostly... Never tried iceberg or cabbage.

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Dang Chello, Great post,You've knocked it out of the ballpark...again !

chelloveck likes this.
  17. Re; Blue Duck post #8. I had a similar experience. Mom was canning tomatoes. Seeds and skin went to sows in farrowing house. Next summer I found huge sweet bright red slicers where the runoff ran off. Weren't pretty inside but made THE BEST blt's you could imagine.

DuxDawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. chelloveck

It depends upon the plant....unlikely able to grow a whole carrot from a stub that has grown feeder roots....but that carrot will produce leaves which are edible and will produce seed which can in turn be propogated to grow into whole vegetables which can be eaten....similar with celery, though it will produce new stalks, perhaps not identical in size to the original, but none the less, edible and have culinary utility.

I see this kind of methodology as useful as a teaching tool in educating the young in the ethos of self sufficiency, and as a means of preparing them unconsciously for austere times when survival means squeezing the greatest possible utility out of things that would be otherwise discarded to landfill.

It encourages the notion of adaptability...to look at alternative possibilities, for common things other than the standard end for objects that have no apparent use, i.e. as waste to be disposed of in the trash.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  19. DuxDawg

DuxDawg Monkey++

We've been composting since the 1970s. Hugelkultur and Square Foot since the 90s. Amazing results.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7