1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Gel Ink pens & pens

Discussion in 'Tin Foil Hat Lounge' started by stg58, Nov 22, 2013.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

I picked up a new pen at work which was a gel ink pen so a bit bored I started looking at gel ink which was new to me and found a few things..

The main advantage of gel ink is its high viscosity, which supports a higher proportion of pigments in the medium. The pigments are typically copper phthalocyanine and iron oxides, and the gel is made up of water and biopolymers, such as xanthan gum and tragacanth gum, as well as some types of polyacrylate thickeners. The pigments are opaque, and gel pens are available in a rainbow of bright and pastel colours, as well as opalescent, metallic, and glittery colours which show up clearly on dark paper.

Gel pens:
    • Create a bolder line
    • Smudge more, due to ink being wetter
    • Have occasional skips, due to the ball being less evenly coated with ink
    • Use more ink, leading to more frequent refills or replacements
    • Are more likely to leak ink when the stopper fluid drains out[2]
    • May be able to write on smooth, non-absorbent materials
    Fountain pens and liquid-ink rollerball pens use a dye solute in a water-based solvent. Compared to these pens, gel pens:

• Are less prone to bleed through to the other side of a piece of paper
    • Create finer, more controlled lines
    • Can create white or brightly coloured opaque lines on dark surfaces
    • May be able to write on smooth materials

Ballpoint pens use a paste ink based on a dye solute in an alcohol solvent. Compared to ballpoint pens, gel pens:
    Another trait of gel ink is that it resists an analytical method commonly used to assess the potential age of ink for forensic purposes. The United States Secret Service has maintained the International Ink Library [1] for many decades. Because manufacturers change their ink formulas slightly from year to year, thin-layer chromatography (TLC) can be used on ink from traditional pens to trace the manufacturer and date of manufacture of most inks. The pigments in gel ink do not dissolve, and therefore cannot be analyzed with TLC.[3]

The tin foil hat aspect:
    "The pigments in gel ink do not dissolve, and therefore cannot be analyzed with TLC.[3]"

Now back to your regularly scheduled program
    Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

stg58 likes this.
  3. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

My No. 2 pencils from the Iowa test for basic skills will always be my fall back.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I think I'll be scribing my bank heist demand notes with a quill and fish blood.. ...they'll be thinking I'm one cold blooded SOB! :-O
    stg58, Mountainman, gunbunny and 6 others like this.
  5. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey Site Supporter

Or perhaps one could consider blood of the swine? Mail for a sandbox..
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary