Getting charged by a stray dog

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oil pan 4, Sep 22, 2017.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I came home today and thought I heard a dog in the back yard. Only thing is my dogs were in. I look and look but I don't see a dog. My dogs want to go out really bad, because I think they knew they had a guest.
    My dogs are pretty hostile and will attack other dogs. The other dog sounds fairly big, no doubt my dogs would still rip it apart but at what cost to them.
    I still live in the city so grabbing my shot gun is out of the question. Looking around I see a hammer, thinking maybe but I don't want to get bit, see the chainsaw ooooo, but I just cleaned it yesterday.
    Then I see my propane torch and carb cleaner. We have a winner. It's fairly quiet, very intimidating and harmless from more than 6 feet away then anything less than 4 to 5 feet it gets exponentially worse. It's a great standoff weapon. Originally developed by me to rain hell on ground bees.
    So I go into my back yard and get charged by a 50lb pitbull as soon as it sees me from 30 to 35 feet away. I light up the flame thrower and the dog immediately retreats, didn't even get with in 20ft of me.
    Turns out pits are pretty much terrified of fire.
    So now it's scared of just the sound of the propane torch. I open the gate and use the sound of the propane torch to corral it out and called animal control and give them a description of the dog where it was.
    I think it belonged to one of the crack heads in one of the 2 or 3 closest houses. What you should do is call animal control to remove the animal, but I have dealt with crack heads before and their mentally is it's my fault when their dog comes in my yard and causes trouble and I do something about.
    None of them have jobs so they are all home so if they see animal control pull up to my house and take their dog out of my yard I'm the bad guy. Then they have nothing better to do with their time so they cause trouble for me. Been there done that. Just making the best of a bad situation.
    After a quick look around it looks like the dog dug it's way into my yard to get into the trash and then was too stupid to get back out. The way the fence sits on the ground it's easier to get in then it is to get out. It's always kept my dogs in since 2011.

2. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Good example of triage thinking and getting the desired outcome.
    Nobody and no dog got hurt.
    Good job.
    MG

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Animal control still hasn't shown up, I don't think they will. I think I will get some tent stakes and drive them into the ground along the fence line. I looked through my camping stuff and found exactly 6 plastic tent stakes, not nearly enough to do anything effective.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Electric fence just above ground level? Dunno as that would work in wet or snow, but dry --

5. duane

duane Monkey+++

I find it interesting that in parts of Houston the code enforcement people are issuing papers on fallen wires, fallen fence around swimming pools, can't live in house, etc even before the insurance people get there and yet it takes years to get rid of a house full of crack heads and the system will even protect them from their landlords in many cases.

Seepalaces and UncleMorgan like this.
  6. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

This is when I mail the collar to the owner from the Post Office without a return address. Y'all are a better/different man than I'll ever be. BZ.

7. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Go down to the local thrift store and buy a few hopelessly outdated used golf clubs. The usual price in my area is about $0.50 each. Cut or chop the heads off, and then drive them into the ground however deep is necessary to close the highway under your fence.

They'll be good for years.

Any that you don't use on the fence, reserve for garden stakes.

They're perfect for tying up low plants, and for keeping a frost cover off tender foliage when the weather gets chilly.

The large handles make them easy to poke into the soft soil of a garden, and won't wear holes in your frost cover.

I try to buy mine during the 1/2-off sales. Four-for-a buck is what I call cheapanetic.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Seepalaces, Dont, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Im not in the city , AND your in USA with guns !!
    All critters in the 6 hectare / acre of human & dog area are not allowed !!! we have a fence around the 6 hectare / acre and another around the ranch that encompasses the 6 for humans .

That means it could not stay on the outside of the 6 in the 200 , and it was going to be a problem .
    The outside is for them and they can be hunted but are mostly left to live in the woods.

Once they cross , they are for the dog to tree or free shot for myself to drop .
    That dog would have been shot dead here !! same a cats , coons ,, mink ,deer etc.

Bear are as dumb as dogs , & they get a tree ass shot from a paint gun , 2 colours on yur butt , your dead .. (dog is put away till yogi leaves ) .
    Who-Boo
    Real life in the back

Sloth

Seepalaces and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

And if needed, you can also use that headless golf club on the stray dog if it ever comes after you. Your garden stakes can also be a weapon. :) good idea @UncleMorgan

GrayGhost and Seepalaces like this.
  10. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

FORE!!!!
    (jabjabjabjabjabjabjabjab...jab!)

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The police around here don't care about doing the right thing they just want easy to win cases. Some one shooting a dog in the city would be one of those cases.

12. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

You can shoot it with a pellet gun. That might keep it from coming back.

13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Bow ,arrow, lye, shovel.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got my dad's walking dead inspired crossbow.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7