GI sewing kit

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by hot diggity, Feb 5, 2023.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I found this one today for $3. Far better than the plastic sewing kit I was issued. It's missing a needle threader, which is a necessity with my vision, but it'll be a stout kit once I augment it a bit.

They're available online for $10-15 but when you need a button sewn on, a tear mended or a wound closed the price will be long forgotten.
    IMG_20230205_233308. IMG_20230205_233227. IMG_20230205_233033. IMG_20230205_233111.

natshare, Hanzo, Alanaana and 7 others like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I went this route - everyon here is old enough to remember cig cases.....
    upload_2023-2-5_23-4-50.

upload_2023-2-5_23-5-15.
    loose buttons sit inside.

Hanzo, natshare, Alanaana and 4 others like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Oooo!! A 1921 Peace dollar!!

and a sewing kit......

[​IMG]

Hanzo, SB21, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I didn't have anything else handy to show how small the kit is.

I think I'll sew loop of para cord opposite the zipper pull end so I can tie it off in a pack. I don't like securing things by the zipper pull, but I like having all my gear dummy corded on so it doesn't drift away.

Hanzo, SB21, Seawolf1090 and 2 others like this.
  5. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

i have a couple of those peace dollars, sewing kits too.;)

Hanzo, SB21 and Dunerunner like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I carry Japanese style scissors in my pack with my sewing kit. Mainly because I cannot carry a knife on a plane. This has never been an issue in my weekly travels. In a pinch, it's a small knife. Two, actually.

7. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Still remember the "deer in the headlights" look, in basic training, when one of the recruits asked what to do, because their shirt button fell off. Company commander told him, "Well, ya sew it back on!" (kindly leaving out the follow-up word, "DUMMY!!" LOL).

I never bothered with a pair of scissors in a sewing kit. Nail clippers work just as well, and are equally useful for helping to remove "gear adrift" (aka "Irish pennants", aka loose threads) on clothing. Plus, they're already in my pocket. (y)

SB21, mechstdr and Hanzo like this.
  8. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

have a couple those scissors my self, sewing kits also. learned to sew when in teen years, helped when in the army for sure.

SB21 and Hanzo like this.
  9. jukk0u

jukk0u Monkey+++

I have kevlar thread in my kit (really).

oldawg, SB21, Hanzo and 1 other person like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7