1. Given the media intensity given to the Corona or Wuhan virus, there seems no reason to have posts on that very specific subject in several forums Accordingly, all of those posts will be moved to "Headlines". All new items on that subject should be posted there as well. This notice will expire on 1 April, or be extended if needed. Thanks, folks.

Giant muskie chomping northern pike

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by stg58, Jul 10, 2017.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

He looked like he was bringing you the fish.

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have never heard of a muskie. Really ugly fish. Do muskies ever attack swimmers?

Legion489 likes this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

A retriever!! :D

5. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Beautiful fish. My wife and I have caught over 2000 of them in a 16 year career fishing for them and owning a Musky Lure Company.

RightHand, M118LR and Tully Mars like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

So are they known to attack small children and dogs? That fish is creepy. He is not skittish as most fish are.

Legion489 and Bandit99 like this.
  7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well, just how big was it? If I remember correctly, Northern Pike, have teeth and are a pretty vicious fish so... We don't get Muskies or Pikes in the Northwest that I know of...

8. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Beautiful fish! Muskellunge is it's full name.

9. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

You could have wacked it with your oar. Then you would have had 2 for the price of 1. That kayak is the same color as mine.

10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Never caught a Musky but I've caught Pike over 40" long in CO.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Zucker or Mepps Lure???????
    Time to give us a free plug for your corporation, I'm asking so I hope it don't break any rules. If so, I was the one asking.
    By my leave Kingfish.

12. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

We sold our lure company in January .

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    oldawg, Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  13. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

It was fun for 16 years as we fished professionally until My wife got hurt in 2012. Lost the use of her left leg. Surgery gone bad. twice. Now she has RSD . She was the Muskies Inc Womens division champion in both 2006 and 2010 and set two all time womens records that stood for 6 years. She was the first woman to ever catch over 100 documented over 30 inches in one season. I finished 2nd in mens and mens masters twice. Never won my division. Close though.

stg58 and Tully Mars like this.
  14. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

That fish is about 49/51 inches long. It has been all through the Musky world. They eat fish half their own body length. They do not eat children but have taken ducks, baby geese, muskrats and there have been two documented attacks on swimmers biting them in the hand or foot thinking it was food. One guy got 137 stitches in Wisconsin from a bite while canoing. He was swishing his hand in the water and the fish ate it, Must have hurt like hell they have razor sharp teeth.

15. M118LR

musky-ground1. Guess I'll need to go back to Hayward Wisconsin, on my way to Trego and the Dinner Bell. Dipped a few lures in the cranberry bogs and the Lands of a Thousand Lakes. From the Land of Sky Blue Waters.......
    Google Maps: Report Inappropriate Image

16. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey Site Supporter+++

Northern Pike are considered an invasive species here in northern Idaho and eastern Washington. Matter of fact, you can get paid to catch pike in Washington. We are fortunate to have some Walleye, another invasive, thats worth going after.

Tully Mars likes this.
  17. stg58

I was kidding about kids and dogs but when you swim in lake Nicaragua watch out for the fresh water sharks..
    ;)
    Lake Nicaragua - Wikipedia

The Asian carp are more of a hazard than Muskies.

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  18. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Muskies eat Asian Carp.

M118LR and stg58 like this.
  19. M118LR

Nothing eats enough Asian Carp! JMHO.

20. stg58

The Asain carp as you know are all over and expanding when they get into the Great lakes it will cost millions and millions in eradication and lost game fising & commercial fising.
    [​IMG]
    Largest Asian carp yet caught in Minnesota River
    The largest invasive Asian carp ever found in Minnesota was caught recently just off the Minnesota River, some 80 miles upstream from where the species had previously been seen.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources reported the “somewhat alarming” catch Thursday saying the nearly 62-pound bighead carp wasn’t expected that far upstream.

The fish was caught in a gravel pit near Redwood Falls, and DNR fisheries experts say it likely swam into the pit during a period of high water on the river; the two water bodies are often connected.

The carp measured more than 47 inches long.

“The news of this capture is somewhat alarming, given the size and location,” said Nick Frohnauer, the DNR’s invasive-species coordinator, in a statement. “This bighead carp was captured about 80 miles upstream from the only other bighead carp captured in the Minnesota River.”

RightHand likes this.
  1. Bishop
    Thread

Red fish

Went out fishing in the air boat. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 21, 2019, 13 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  2. Bishop
  3. Kruel J
  4. Cruisin Sloth
  5. phorisc
  6. OldDude49