1. Sorry, we're currently trying to recover from a system failure.
    Hopefully this is resolved soon -melbo

Glue, Adhesives, Epoxy

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by stg58, Mar 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Glue, Adhesives, Epoxy..Elmer's glue opinion sought.

We all 'Fix" things with super glue, Elmer's type glue (wood) and one of the most noted JB Weld.

JB Weld is said to have "fixed" a cracked engine blocks...

How about feedback on your fixes with stuff in a tube..

For us Epoxy/JB Weld and Elmer's have done very well for us cheap super glues are hit and miss.

Epoxy - Wikipedia

Motomom34, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

I have had a ton of good results with Gorilla glue in the recent past, even fixed a leaking valve stem with it. JB weld does work, but needs special prep to get it to hold for any length of time. I had a pair of marine exhaust manifolds that were cracked, and no amount of JB weld would seal them until I drilled holes at the ends of the cracks and every inch on ether side, I also had to sand blast them and clean them with mineral spirits and then denatured alcohol before the JB would hold, and even then, it only lasted a few trips on the water. Finally had a set of stainless headers made and that fixed the problem! Tight Bond is another Glue I swear by, really good holding power, and even better when clamped, or otherwise pressure set until cured!.

3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

JB Weld will not fix a grooved brake disc from worn out brakes. I tried that theory in the mid 70s.
    Gorilla glue seems to work pretty well, I've used some on wood and plastics.
    I've used the PL Liquid Nails product, it will bond pretty well, I've used it on woods and tile and masonry, some of it I know has lasted around 12 years.

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Add me to the list of Gorilla Glue fanboys.

Duco glue works on nearly anything but it is hard to find in the stores.

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and GrayGhost like this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Home made hide glue works good on wood.

Witch Doctor 01 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

G flex if you want it glued and stay glued

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Or, go natural with casein glue for "normal" temperatures and strength. Very good on wood.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

I keep JB Weld quickset in my BOB for appropiate field repairs on guns and equipment. I had a 76 Nova 6 cylinder that I bought used around 1984 that had a cracked exhaust manifold that I fixed with JBW when I bought it around 1984 used, and drove it for 12 years before I sold it and the JBW never failed.

For wood I use Titebond II, and had great success with it, especially in attaching risers to bows that are still holding without problems after 20 years.

PPG had a 2 part body filler back in the 80's, I think was called Aluma Lead, and I used that once to repair a hole in a gas tank that was still leaking when I applied the product. It stopped the leak and I never had any more problems from it.

I also use super glue gel for a lot of small quick repairs, and it will stop a splinter from rising on a wooden bow, I buy mine at Dollar Tree, 2 tubes for $1.

Motomom34, Brokor and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey++

+1 for both of these ^^^

10. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

When I was a kid, as an experiment (saw it on TV) I made my own Elmer's glue from milk and lemon juice, probably a few other ingredients as well. Glued two pieces of 1x2 together to test it. When it set, I tried to break them apart, but the wood splintered. It was an extremely strong bond.

Recipe is long lost but could probably find it on the web some place.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

JB Weld original, their Kwik Weld, and Marine Weld are all very good products. I prefer to use these because you can wipe down the tube threads with a dab of naptha or other solvent and reuse them from the tubes years later. The single dispensing type of epoxy which is split down the center, no matter the brand, always dries up on me.

I once used JB Weld to permanently secure a picatinny scope mount on the receiver of my Cetme .308 and it still holds to this day. Of course, now they have the C-308 which comes with a solid mount built on the receiver...

Motomom34, Tully Mars and Oltymer like this.
  12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Good 'ol fashioned Elmer's wood glue, Gorilla Glue, and Super Glue. I use the Dollar Store stuff for fixing toys and stuff but have what I consider a better grade made by Permatex for "my stuff". I do keep a couple of packages of original JB Weld around. I also have a couple different types of two part ceramic based brushable and putty made by Devcon that I used to use for repairing all kinds of pump impellers and housings. This stuff ain't cheap( couple hundred bucks for 2 lbs) but it is unbelievable what you can do with it. Sand, grind,turn, mill, drill and tap. I have seriously considered using it to experiment making ceramic parts for firearms but haven't yet.

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

About 8-9 years ago, had a wood project that needed a strong glue for some critical joints. Saw Gorilla Glue at Home Depot and was woed by their marketing. Joints ultimately failed. Rats. Consulted Fine Woodworking magazine if they had recommendations as I was a subscriber to their sister rag Fine Homebuilding. Bingo!

Here is the article. I now use Titebond II for wood and have been very pleased.
    http://www.titebond.com/Libraries/News_Articles/HowStrongisYourGlue_FWW.sflb.ashx

For metal I usually braze, solder or weld, almost never glue.

Used a gel glue called GO2 to repair sole detaching on my boots. Has worked very well.

For plastics use various glues depending on type of plastic, type of joint, speed needed, etc. Use superglues to expoxies to even special ones that bond polypropylenes (essentially impossible to glue without special stuff and techniques).

AT

Tully Mars likes this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It takes different adhesives to work in specific applications .
    For plastics I weld the same chemical make up plastic into the parent material and it is a permanent fix . Trick with welding is not heating greater than the temperature it takes to liquify the material . greater temperatures change's the molecular structure, and or burns , and that is not a weld.
    For composit materials and wood and fiber glass West system epoxy actually penetrates into the fabric like a root system.
    You must wear gloves with this stuff.
    Alcohol is the best media for cleaning most surfaces before gluing , except where it might degrade the parent material.
    I like some gel type super glues for fast fix on temporary applications.
    The gel tends to remain some what flexible where as the regular thin super glues tend to become crystalline ,brittle.
    Being a mechanic I've used lots of glues and resins and lock tight products.
    One important thing I found though in situations that the fasteners are frail (stainless, working on boats) they are some times installed with loc tight ,but when the fixture they are supporting needs to be removed these fasteners often get broken .
    I found that using a non hardening gasket glue on the threads ( OMCs Adhesive M ) the fasteners are not broken in removal and it saves volumes in time doing a job .
    Another trick is to know the solvent the glue is made up with . Knowing this can allow one to remove or even liven glues that have gone dead in the can.
    Again alcohol is a valuable tool in this process.

Tully Mars likes this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey Site Supporter++

I turn white nylon zip ties into straps by cutting off the ends and then superglue them to plastic parts that I know will need reinforcement and will likely break without it.

Superglue is also good for cuts where you don't have access to stitches or butterflies. Also good for tricking your brother into sticking his hands to his face. A$$whooping worth it.

Years ago my Dad broke his metal chop saw when it fell to the floor. He repaired it with JB Weld and it's held up perfectly ever since.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

A friend of mine was horsing around out in the desert in his jeep and for some reason the distributer worked loose and the rotor broke , so he used bailing wire to hold it together ti they got home . worked so well he forgot all about it for a week or so and finally replaced it. he was the local town judge.

One time on a new boat delivery we were headed to los vegas and the front inner wheel bearing started grinding on the truck ,so I took a section of my belt and with all the grease we could find replaced the missing rollers, and safely got the truck and trailer to town and it didn't even heat up. From then on, I've gotten my self belts much longer than I actually needed ,in the event it should happen again.

I learned this from a story an older man told me about going across country in the same desert as a matter of fact.
    And he was driving a model "A".
    The connecting rods were knocking and they'd pull over and drop the pan and put bacon rind in the rod caps. the took up the slack and added lubrication as well . average speed of about 20 MPH , that's a very long ride.

17. Tempstar

Tempstar Praeclarum Site Supporter+

Lexel. Found in the caulking isle at home improvement centers.

18. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

RTV.... especially for items that need to be waterproofed... buckets. canteens, engine gaskets... etc...,

19. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Milk glue is still in use and milk plastic also.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey Site Supporter++

I had the rubber seal work its way out from a sink and disposal. I replaced twice with new seals but it still leaked. I finally used RTV. Fixed forever.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7