Google backs off on previously announced Allo privacy feature

Discussion in 'Technical' started by stg58, Sep 22, 2016.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Not this guy...
    ////////////////////////////
    Edward Snowden @Snowden

What is #Allo? A Google app that records every message you ever send and makes it available to police upon request. http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/21/12994362/allo-privacy-message-logs-google …

8:21 AM - 21 Sep 2016

When Allo was announced at Google’s I/O conference earlier this year, the messaging app was presented as a step forward for privacy. Alongside the end-to-end-encrypted Incognito Mode, the Allo team talked about bold new message retention practices, storing messages only transiently rather than indefinitely.

But with the release of the app today, Google is backing off on some of those features.

The version of Allo rolling out today will store all non-incognito messages by default — a clear change from Google’s earlier statements that the app would only store messages transiently and in non-identifiable form. The records will now persist until the user actively deletes them, giving Google default access to a full history of conversations in the app. Users can also avoid the logging by using Allo’s Incognito Mode, which is still fully end-to-end encrypted and unchanged from the initial announcement.
    Google backs off on previously announced Allo privacy feature

2. GhostX

GhostX Monkey

Google has always reminded me of a pedophile in a happy bear costume with a "hug me" sign around his neck. It looks so innocent and inviting on the outside but you can bet it will try and grab your ass.

Motomom34 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7