Google to launch Wi-Fi balloon experiment

Discussion in 'Technical' started by stg58, Jun 16, 2013.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Interesting, reminds me of the military trying to use balloons for surveillance of Russia before the U2 and satellites.

And given the recent disclosures combined with that it is Google one wonders if there is more to it...
    ..........................................................................................................
    Google to launch Wi-Fi balloon experiment - CNN.com

Loon for All – Project Loon – Google

(CNN) -- Google is preparing to conquer a new dimension: the stratosphere. The Internet giant is releasing 30 high-tech balloons in a trial of technology designed to bring the Internet to places where people are not yet connected.
    The balloons are being sent up into the sky from New Zealand's South Island this month in the first trial of a pioneering system dubbed Project Loon.
    According to Google, "Project Loon is a network of balloons traveling on the edge of space, designed to connect people in rural and remote areas, help fill coverage gaps, and bring people back online after disasters."
    Google estimates that two-thirds of the global population is without fast, affordable Internet access. So while it sounds like something from the realms of science fiction, if successful, the project could make a difference to many people around the world.

tulianr likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

and just "HOW MANY" of these Loons will it take to cover all these unWiFi'ed places on the earth, if they are NOT teathered to the ground? 200K, 400K, 1M ???
    Inquiring Minds want to know.......

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

I think that may be a potential issue with air travel if you have those darn things floating about at the number BT suggested. The optimal route would be to put more satellites in the air as they would have the most dispersion/area coverage. This is nothing but hot air and media bloviating by Google for advertisement..... just keeping their name in the press.... in my opinion.

Mountainman likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7