Got another pig this morning!

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Alanaana, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

This morning I got a pig with my broadhead arrow. I was able to apply the tips and tricks that all of you shared with me and noticed that the process is getting much easier.

It did help that this pig was smaller (closer to my size.)

Tried the scald and scrape method until I ran out of patience and energy and used the torch.

Thanks again for the tips and tricks!

P.S. As I was walking up my property after the meat was cleaned and cut, I found a little piglet and a tiny piglet in my garden.

Zimmy, GrayGhost, johnbb and 15 others like this.
  2. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

excellent catch, looks to be good eating for a while. the little ones maybe you try and raise for future food.

GrayGhost, Hanzo, Meat and 3 others like this.
  3. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Cook the young ones whole.

jim2, GrayGhost, Hanzo and 6 others like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

This deserves a big ol congratulations X's 10 love the smile girlfriend.
    Let us know how you prepare this porker.

GrayGhost, Hanzo, mechstdr and 4 others like this.
  5. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Incredible!

GrayGhost, Hanzo, mechstdr and 3 others like this.
  6. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Sic 'em girl!

7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

YUMmmmm!! More meat for the freezer!! You make self sufficiency look easy.

8. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

@mechstdr Thank you! That's a great idea. I was thinking it might be a good idea to raise the little ones because they will grow much bigger too.

GrayGhost, Seawolf1090, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  9. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

@sasquatch91 I have heard that the little ones have excellent meat and I've seen people roast them rotisserie style. I'll have to learn how to do that.

10. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

@Gator 45/70 Thank you! It all happened before I had coffee so it was a sleepy smile, but a very invigorating way to start the day! I want to make some Kalua pork with this one. This time it will be with the smoker / slow cooker. I always overcook it for safety.
    Someday I want to learn how to cook it the traditional way in an Imu (maybe not with a wild pig for safety). My family from Guam used to have pretty frequent luaus, but I was too young to remember the whole process. Never too late to learn!
    Wish we could all have a luau!

GrayGhost, Seawolf1090, Hanzo and 3 others like this.
  11. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

@Dunerunner Mahalo! Wish I could share with everyone.

12. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

@Meat Mahalo! Wild meat is always so good.

13. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

14. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

I suggested keeping them if you have the space and ability to do so. i'm sure they are good eating, if it was beef they would call it veal. either way good find! if i could i would keep them and raise them to a good weight, more meat to save or eat! (y) again good find/catch.

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Suckling pig!

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Hafa Adai!

Alanaana, Gator 45/70 and mechstdr like this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I've done smaller portions in a shallow mini emu. Not traditional, but fully cooked and falling apart and juicy. One of our tree guys likes to use ohia to smoke. I prefer kiawe.

Anyway, here's how I have done it while camping and without a traditional emu pit and hot rocks. We have tons of volcanic rocks here that can be used though. I dig a shallow pit and make a big campfire over it. Like I said, I like kiawe. This was on Oahu without the abundance of lava rocks, so just the pit. If you have lot of rocks on your property, and I am assuming you do, throw a bunch on the fire to get em hot. When the fire is burned down to a nice bed of coals, shovel out the pit. If you have hot rocks, put em in da pit. If not, no worry. Season and wrap your pig (I do that when the fire is burning to coal.). I use multiple layers to wrap the meat. If you have banana leaves, those are good. If not, even wet paper towels work. Then wrap with tin foil. Then another layer of banana leaves/wet paper towels flowed by foil.

Put the bundle in the depression or on the hot rocks and cover with dirt/gravel/whatever you dug up to make the pit. Put the coals on top and throw more wood on top. Enjoy your campfire. Have a cold one or two. You will smell it as it starts to be ready. No rush. Leave it in there as long as you like. Even overnight if you let the fire die down. I have never left it overnight though. I smell it and want to eat it.

Uncover the bundle. Be careful of steam when you open it up. I dump the meat and the juices into a steel bowl and it shreds like pulled pork. Can add more seasoning if you like at that point, but usually no need.

18. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Time to pick the family elders' minds for techniques, before the Old Knowledge is gone!

19. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Yum.

20. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

@Seawolf1090 Yes, I agree. It's sad how quickly knowledge and traditions can get lost if we don't learn from our elders and pass the knowledge on.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7