Grandpa Patch turning into a HAM?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Grandpa Patch, Dec 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Zimmy, STANGF150, Motomom34 and 12 others like this.
  2. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

@Grandpa Patch - I cannot "like" this enough. Outstanding and bravo. Oh, and, go ahead and contact your credit card and start the process for a credit limit increase. :)

It's a great skill and tool to have in your back pocket. We also have dozens if not hundreds of threads on what you can/should get first as a Tech.

Again, good job and I hope to be saying "Welcome" soon!

3. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Better order up the General and Extra manuals while you are still enthusiastic.

Be nice to hear you on the air.

Zimmy, chelloveck, sec_monkey and 3 others like this.
  4. Go fer it O.M., 73's Marv KD1OWA.

5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yeah, I got to get my finger out also. I want to take the Extra exam 14 January which is the next time it is offered in this area.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Happy to see your interest in the Comms field... When you get HF privilges, and a Radio, I would be pleased to make contact with you...

7. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Just finished finding a local club (1hr away) while searching ARRL.org for clubs and testing locations. Of course, my wife is all over me about this. She thought I gave up on this idea years ago when the morse code was pissing me off. Now that I know that the Morse code has been dropped from the exam, my interest has been renewed. Plus, I've learned that ARRL.org has a Morse code practice session transmissions for learning purposes. That will be a lot easier than staring at dots AND it gives me a reason to get a radio sooner so I can start listening to things and get a good idea of how transmissions are done live, and not just the 'book version'.

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

One key thought is to find local nets to participate in, they can be seriously good sources of elmer advice.

3M-TA3, Grandpa Patch and chelloveck like this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Turing into a ham is one thing - become an OF is altogether different.

chelloveck likes this.
  10. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Good for you Grandpa!

Years ago when I took my first test I attended a class held over 2 nights. Passed just fine. Had to take the Morse test twice before passing.
    When I upgraded to general I used different online tools. Practice exams are key.
    Did the same for extra. It was more difficult though.

Be warned! It's very addictive!
    You think your wife's all over you now. Just wait. I visited a friend today to pick up another baofeng I ordered. No way I was having it shipped to my home address. 29db97e9-25a4-4656-8e9c-f52448407a81.

Do I have to many radios? No. Do I need more radios? Definitely!

11. Jest like firearms. Can one person have too many? Free practice exams on ARRL website. Tech thru extra.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Grandpa Patch and chelloveck like this.
  12. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

I've started thinning out my collection of boatanchors: I always liked the Swan rigs, but now that Svetlana has closed down, I just traded my KWM-2A for a Class-D AM transmitter.

Those of us who cut our teeth on hollow-state are getting to be like the ghost riders in the sky ...

William Warren

oldman11, ghrit and Grandpa Patch like this.
  13. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Well the first and closest club I found had three members at their last meeting and don't seem to be doing much of anything. I have not received a response from them yet. I found another club that is the same distance, more members, much more activity and FREE exams. I have scheduled my Technician and General test for Jan 26, 2019. I will see how things go. I just finished reading the Technician License Manual (front to back, minus the Q&A) and am now going through the Q&A. I am going from each Q&A to the appropriate section and highlighting the necessary information. Then I will start from the front again

Motomom34, oldman11, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  14. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. ghrit

Well, you are on your way, good on ya'. Best next move, IMHO, is go to one or another repeater database and program in a few that aren't too far from your QTH and start listening. I use
    HAM Radio Repeater database - Updated daily
    frequently to find the odd stations that can be heard now and again while spinning the dial.

You can also, just for s&g, find out the frequencies your local first responders use and program them in. You won't be able to transmit on those frequencies, but listening in is another way to use your gear. Your radio has 2 VFOs so you can program one with the local repeaters and the other with the first responder frequencies.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    BTPost and Grandpa Patch like this.
  16. BTPost

If you are at all Computer Savy, you can find and download the "Chirp" program... This will allow you to setup a complete Frequency List on your computer and then Load it ALL, into the Radio, at one time... You can also customize a few different Lists, that you might use for different Operations, or different Areas, and be able to load them as required....

Grandpa Patch likes this.
  17. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

[​IMG]ProgCable by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr

Programming cable arrived today! I use a Chromebook (Android), so I have to wait for the wife to give me some free time on her laptop to download and screw around with Chirp. She has the weekend off, so that may not happen this weekend and I'm scheduled out of the house the first part of next week. Maybe I can get to it by Thursday or Friday...? No hurries, It's not like the radio is going anywhere. I'm in listen mode only at this point so I can take my time. I can read the manual (do guys still read manuals for things?), which is something I hardly ever do and frequently have to deal with the wife over my shoulder as I put together kids toys.

18. BTPost

I read Manuals on NEW to Me Radios, and Devices, quite often... They provide much of the technical information that I need. to get them operational, after the initial Power Up... I keep ALL the Manuals for Things that I have, at least untill I can get them scanned and put into .PDF Format... Then once I get those stored into my Secure Backup System that has multiple Storage instances, on multiple different Locations and Devices, the Paper Manuals go on the SHELF of Manuals...
    I still have many of. the CB Radio Manuals from when I was a Kid, in Secure Storage..

19. ghrit

FWIW, I've found and downloaded the manuals for my radios on line. Free. So hard copy and electronic copies are pretty handy to have. (I've done the same with my other pricey toys, those that go bang and those that record pix and noises.)

20. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Nice Grandpa. I just picked up another baofeng two weeks ago. UV 82 this time. Figured I better before the feds crackdown.

I also used chirp to program it. Dreaded the idea of researching and entering all the frequencies, offsets, tones, ECT that I wanted. Figured there had to be a way to copy and paste from databases. Searched around online and found out that chirp is setup to do that.
    IMG_20181216_105401.

Check out all 3 options. Import from data, query data and import from stock.

It helped me tremendously.

And remember to keep a copy of the USB cable driver. Couldn't find mine. Took way too much brain damage trying to figure that one out.

techsar, Grandpa Patch and Merkun like this.
  1. SB21
  2. Bandit99
  3. scpn
  4. BenP
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Motomom34
  7. ED GEiN
  8. sdr
  9. DarkLight
  10. Tempstar
  11. Oltymer
  12. Idahoser