Greetings from Africa...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DaveinZim, Jan 22, 2021.

1. DaveinZim

DaveinZim Monkey

Greetings all,
    I've been encouraged to introduce myself so here it is.
    I live in Harare, Zimbabwe. I've always been interested in self sufficiency and off-grid type living.
    Living in Africa we tend to treat some of the stuff people in the first world are preparing for, as daily life.
    Electricity is extremely unreliable, we often go without utility power for three or four days a week.
    Utility water supplies haven't worked for years. When we were referred to as a shit hole country, the guy wasn't wrong :) We like to refer to ourselves as an "African Rusty old tin pot republic where if ever the world needed an enema we would be the point of insertion!" But, I was born here and it's home, and I love it. So, we just find other ways to do things and get on with our lives. Can be quite fun.
    I've always been an outdoorsy type person. I buy things like the SAS survival guide. Spend a lot of time in the wild. Live about 30km outside Harare (Our Capital city) in a wild, hilly, forested area.
    I went solar PV for most of our energy needs about 5 years ago. Self install.
    I'm currently in the process of building a complete black and grey water recycling system for all the water that runs through my house and just getting started building a solar water heater with LPG/Propane gas backup.
    I'm still building my own house and when that's done, the next project is rain water collection.

I fish, hunt, camp, trail drive, trail ride on bikes and hate big cities. Spent two years in London...not my favorite experience.

Hope I haven't bored anyone and thank you for having me.
    Oh, and I came across this site on google and it looked interesting. That's how I ended up here :)

Cheers!

Dave

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

DaveinZim and Dunerunner like this.
  3. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Welcome from north Louisiana.
    [flag]

4. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

Welcome to the Monkey Tree. Glad you found your way here.
    I can't wait to follow some of your projects, they sound interesting!

-JW

5. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Welcome from north Idaho.

6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Welcome to our slice of the interwebs!

7. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Welcome to the nest of branches festooned with used bananas. Looking forward to your perspective and how things get done chez vous. That solar water heating project looks interesting.

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome!!!

9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Living in the Zim?

I expect that many here will be interested in what you are allowed to share about life in the Zim.

Any photos of your home would be cool to see. From what I can find on-line, it looks like a nice area, climate wise.

Welcome to the board, looking forward to your future posts.

10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Welcome from the Pacific NW, almost... Enjoying the Solar Hot Water thread and looking forward to how you cope with the evil witch of the West's monkeys.

DaveinZim likes this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Welcome aboard!

DaveinZim likes this.
  12. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

DaveinZim likes this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to our Monkey Tree... Would be interested in what you use for your internet connection? My wife spent a deployment in your country with MDs w/o Boarders, a few years back. She enjoyed her time there, as well as her two tours in Nambibia...

DaveinZim likes this.
  14. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Welcome. I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

DaveinZim likes this.
  15. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Welcome Dave
    From Vancouver Island BC (bring cash and LOTS) Canada
    Sloth

DaveinZim likes this.
  16. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Sani Bonani or Mahneru and welcome to the tree. That's the extent of my shonah. Over look the spelling. It's been 30 years.

DaveinZim likes this.
  17. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Good to have someone from Zimba....Zimbo... Rhodesia. I'm from Alabama.

DaveinZim likes this.
  18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Welcome zim, there's much useful info here...as well as plenty of conspiracy theory rabbit holes...don't be afraid to make your own contributions to the site. Cheers from the chello fellow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2021
    DaveinZim likes this.
  19. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Welcome aboard Dave, from The Old North State.

DaveinZim likes this.
  20. DaveinZim

DaveinZim Monkey

Hi DKR,
    Thanks for the intro. We live a pretty peaceful life here most of the time. Things get a bit exciting every 5 years during elections and being a white african we learn to keep a low profile and keep our mouths shut. It's dangerous to get involved in politics in africa. But it's an awesome place to live. We think the climate is one of the best on earth. Were in the tropics but high enough at 5000' that it doesn't get too hot and humid. Best of both worlds. Life under Robert Mugabe was a pain in the arse. Our new president has the right intentions but he's only one man. The rest of our officialdom are a bunch of thieves. This is an Africa wide problem though, not just Zimbabwe. I can share pretty much anything as long as it's not anti government so ask away! :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7