Growing Herbs

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Motomom34, Apr 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I found an article that is a great reference for growing herbs indoors. It gives all the info and variety's for the most common herbs. This article gives you the option to print it or you can save it in pdf form. I printed it out because this article will serve as a quick reference on soil conditions and light requirements.

How to Grow Your Own Indoor Herb Garden
    Jessie Dax-Setkus
    https://blog.paleohacks.com/indoor-herb-garden/

Here’s the thing with herbs though—one size doesn’t fit all. To keep your herb garden healthy (and alive), you’ll need to know how to take care of each one individually. Depending on the herb(s) you’re trying to grow, here are key things to keep in mind:

• Germination: This is the process in which a plant grows from a seed. It can take a couple days, a couple weeks, or even up to a month.
    • Hardiness: Also known as the “hardiness zone,” or specific area (or climate) where a plant is capable of growing. Zones range from zone 0–12, with 0 being the coldest and 12 being the warmest.
    • Light Preference: How much sun does your plant like? They don’t always like full sun all day. Some plants are full sun plants, and some are partial sun/partial shade, dapple sun (little sun), or full shade plants.
    • Soil Conditions: The balance of pH levels, if the soil must be well drained, or if it needs to be slightly sandy or rich. Does the plant even need soil? How about acidity? All are important factors.
    • Fertilizer: Elements that need to be mixed into the soil to help your herb grow the most efficiently. Anything from blood meal to fish emulsion could be part of the equation here. Also, you might need to mix in other components throughout the year—do you know when the most optimum time is to do so? Every herb is different.
    • Height: How tall should you expect your plant to grow? You don’t want to start clipping prematurely, nor do you want to wait longer than you need to, either.
    • Time to Harvest: A guideline as to when your herb is ready for consumption.

Please follow link for the rest of the article:
    https://blog.paleohacks.com/indoor-herb-garden/

Ganado, chelloveck, snake6264 and 2 others like this.
  2. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Good info. I start mine in the Areogarden but have to transplant once they get bigger (mostly cause I wannt use the areo to start other stuff) so handy to know how to do the soil for better results..

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Some herbs I do better with then others. I have thought about an Aerogarden but it is an expensive unit then one has to buy the pods. @runswithdogs do you feel the Aerogarden was a good investment? Has it really helped with plant starting?

chelloveck likes this.
  4. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

For me it was but normally I cant grow squat. the weather here is to cold with a short growing season & the last couple summers have been quite cold.. I'm not even sure it got above the mid 50's for more than a day here & there.
    Also I guess you can get a starter tray that goes with it that you can start like 30+ plants at a time (might be quite a bit more but not sure)
    I wouldn't recommend it at the RRP but I got mine for about 50% off (Amazon special :D)

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Fine post Motomom34 spices and herbs for the most part are imported some are locally grown buy fresh mostly you support local farmers and small plot gardeners. Nice thing herbs are more like weeds they can grow well as long as the proper amount of light and soil nutrients, I use a of of rabbit manure mixed with good black potting soil.

chelloveck likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. Magdala_Buckley
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Motomom34
  5. runswithdogs
  6. Motomom34
  7. pearlselby
  8. pearlselby
  9. Gopherman
  10. Sassenach
  11. VHestin